Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is possible to turn a discontinued and unsupported 2003 United Motors Renegade 200 into another more supported make of bike?

I am a novice, but I got this bike free, and it has some electrical problems.
I can't really find parts, even online. Or even the shop/manufacture manual.

Wondering if any bike sages out there could give me advice

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With it not running I doubt I can sell it at the moment. I will have to get the electrical system fixed first at least.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Sell it and use the proceeds as a down payment on another motorcycle?

I tend to agree with Dodsfall. Why waste the time and money, unless you have tons of both, and don't want to "ride" for a while.

There is a temptation inside me, to find an old beater somewhere, and make it a Winter Project. I've entertained the notion of stripping it down and renovating it, piece by piece, over time.

What YOU seem to be considering, is sorta the same, if I'm reading you right; in that you want to take the foundation, and change it to something different.
Sounds like you might pull the motor (for example) and buy a replacement to put there. Sounds like you might have a bike that is truly unique when you are done.

So..........if you wanna "ride," buy a bike that's running. If you want a "Winter Project," have at it. Just be prepared for the fact that you might have to do some major modifications to various parts of the bike, to achieve your goal. It might be "fun" to do, and I'm a bit jealous (actually).

I'm still looking for that "beater" that I could resurrect for the "fun" of it.

-Soupy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any time and money given to that bike is time and money wasted, IMO. Those Chinese bikes are cheaply made and they are disposable.

Then I will have a myriad of issues that I will have to troubleshoot and therefore become a better more rounded mechanic. :) I agree though....Chinese bikes are cheaply made.

I tend to agree with Dodsfall. Why waste the time and money, unless you have tons of both, and don't want to "ride" for a while.

There is a temptation inside me, to find an old beater somewhere, and make it a Winter Project. I've entertained the notion of stripping it down and renovating it, piece by piece, over time.

What YOU seem to be considering, is sorta the same, if I'm reading you right; in that you want to take the foundation, and change it to something different.
Sounds like you might pull the motor (for example) and buy a replacement to put there. Sounds like you might have a bike that is truly unique when you are done.

So..........if you wanna "ride," buy a bike that's running. If you want a "Winter Project," have at it. Just be prepared for the fact that you might have to do some major modifications to various parts of the bike, to achieve your goal. It might be "fun" to do, and I'm a bit jealous (actually).

-Soupy
Thanks for the post Soupy! Actually I took the bike full well knowing it would be a project. The idea was not to ride, as much as to learn and become better at foundation up repair and modifications. Its a cheap bike, and so whats the harm in just trying stuff with it. If in the end its broken 'beyond repair' by my tinkering. I would have learned a hard lesson on a ride I would not lament its passing. :)

Thanks for the responses guys! you guys rock!

:71baldboy:

Vixxen

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
Well, like you said it's free so why not use it to practice working on and try out some different things.

One thing you might could try with the electrical issues, and just to get more familiar with your wiring itself and to have fun, is to get a decent general wiring diagram of the simple sort. One that shows basic starter circuits, charging circuits, lighting circuits and so on for any generic type bike. Pick a circuit, then try to find it and follow it on your bike. You'll start to be able to see how it works, how it ties in, and also how it's different then the pure simple circuit on the diagram.

And you'll also likely start to see some of the cobbled up wiring and start to notice where the problems are, and what the repairs should have been.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts

-Soupy
Lot of this depends on what bike you find and choose to resurrect. Some are more desirable than others. I was flipping the CB500 4's for a while, great reliable little bikes that run incredibly smooth, not too many years ago I could get them dirt cheep. Now they are harder to find and expensive. The last one I did, although not a complete resto, was a KLR650. Bought it for $900, new tires, chain and sprockets, rear shock, several new body parts, handles , mirrors and some paint, rode it for a year and sold it for 1800. Profit wasnt huge, but made it worth doing.
I found the best way of acquiring a project bike is word of mouth, eventually you will run into someone looking to open up some space in the garage with a solid platform to start with.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts