Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a used 2007 ninja250 for 1600 but it has a salvage title.

How much does it cost to register a salvage? Is it worth it to invest in this bike?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have no experience with salvage titles on motorcycles, except that people always say to stay away from them.

I have a feeling you can find the same or a newer model 250 without the salvaged title for a similar price or not much more. I just saw a beautiful 2011 250 for only 3k on craigslist... the bikes hold their value well, so you shouldn't worry about the price too much.

If you're going to buy a bike with a salvage title and you don't know much about bikes, bring someone who knows a lot (preferably a mechanic). a third party can help you avoid making an emotional decision and keep you within the realm of logic. If you'd have to invest to get the bike going in good shape again, those little repairs will add up fast if you have to take it to a mechanic. Keep in mind, also, that a bike with a salvaged title will be difficult to sell. (You probably won't stay on a 250 for much more than a year, but that's all based on how much you ride, how you ride, and what you want to do.)

Some vehicles can get salvaged and stay mechanically awesome, like my mom's car that got hailed on twice and was totaled. It's serious business, though, it's your safety you're paying for.

·
Registered
6 Posts
about ready to buy a salvage title bonneville t100,2006, under 2000 miles, looks good, I live in Oregon any thoughts, pro/con on this? thanks, I'm a new rider after being off bikes for about 40 years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
about ready to buy a salvage title bonneville t100,2006, under 2000 miles, looks good, I live in Oregon any thoughts, pro/con on this? thanks, I'm a new rider after being off bikes for about 40 years.
As others have said, its probably best to stay away. But if you really want it see if it passes inspection, and maybe have somebody come out and look at it.
There is usually a good reason for a bike being labeled as a salvage title.

I don't know about the bike you are looking at, but many times people put a salvage title bike up on the internet, giving you some sob story that goes along the lines of "The only reason this bike is salvage title is because i dropped it and busted the fairing, I would repair it but I don't have the time or money,so you can get this bike at a steal of a deal!" most of the time knowing full well the frame is bent and the bike is done.

So just know what you could be getting into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks for your reply dude. now if i could find someone in my area willing to take a look at the bike for me I would feel a little better about the buy. thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks for your reply dude. now if i could find someone in my area willing to take a look at the bike for me I would feel a little better about the buy. thanks again.
If you want to feel better about the buy, don't go look at it and don't buy it. 'Salvage title' means 'so broke it wasn't worth fixing.' Is that _really_ the ride you want?

·
Registered
6 Posts
salvage title

some repair work has been done. was a buy back from insurance. tor pipes, rejetted, new handlebars, repainted gas tank. front fender could be replaced but necessary, other than looks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bet it's this one:

salvagebikesauction.com/vehicle_detail/Salvage-2006-Triumph-T100+BONNE-for-Sale/lot-24146851/Eugene-Oregon

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bet it's this one:

salvagebikesauction.com/vehicle_detail/Salvage-2006-Triumph-T100+BONNE-for-Sale/lot-24146851/Eugene-Oregon
Did they drop it off a cliff? Every part of that bike is showing damage.

It says it has been sold, I hope whoever bought it knows what they've gotten themselves into.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just guessing, but I think someone bought it through that auction, fixed it up, and now has it for sale again and that's who Moneyfunny is looking at buying from.

Just speculation, but how many salvaged 2006 T100s with under 2000 miles can be there be in Oregon?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Salvage is not all bad, IF you know what you are doing. It costs over $100 here to get a clear title on a salvaged vehicle. Second, a new Harley with 648 miles or so on it went for $75, the minimum bid! It needed about $4,000 worth of work to fix it and was worth new over $25,000. My son-in-law missed the deadline on that one by less than 10 minutes and he is still kicking himself on that one. Apparently, there was ONE bid, for $75 and SOLD for $75. He also bought a 750 Vulcan that had been in a barn for 11 years. Tires were bad, obviously, but he cleaned the tank and carburetor and had it running smoothly in two days. Most of the work was cleaning the tank. He paid $500 for it. He also bought a 750 Honda Spirit salvage bike and has $1200 in it total, and it is worth $3750. I think he is having too much fun to sell it. It had one or two dings in the tank and needed a turn signal, it runs perfectly, has nearly new tires, good brakes and other than those two problems, is very clean otherwise and has 8,000 miles on it, and it is a 2002. It seems to me you need to have someone who is knowledgeable look at a bike, see what it will take to fix it up, and check beforehand what steps and costs are needed to get clear title to the salvage vehicle. If you don't do these three things, I would pass on the salvage vehicle. My point is not all salvage bikes are bad, and I realize a lot of folks here have had bad experiences on buying a salvaged bike. Just an alternative view on salvage bikes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
salvage title

I've gone to salvagebikesauction and even with all the info you've provided I still can't pull it up. I would really like to see this pic you're looking at. I'll go back and keep looking cause I bet your right about this being the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found it. sure looks better now. still has the large ding in the fender. what really bugs me is the guy stating in his craigslist ad it fell over in the driveway. typical craigslist bs! love to know what really happened. thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yep, just be careful when looking at bikes or anything on craigslist for that matter, most people on craigslist will do anything to convince you that their junk is gold plated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
salvage title

I just called the guy and to make a long story short, I told him the deal was off. he really likes the bike and figures he can ride it for 3 yrs still get out of it what he put into it. so my dream of owning a triumph is dashed. limited funds does not help either. thanks to all for the feedback and especially the link to salvagebikesauction.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts