Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out why the certification for licenses does not want bikes to
ride close to the centreline - or get in the bad habit of it. Just heard a story
of bike getting to close and got hit with an extended pickup mirror for use
with trailers (a lot of these out there). If you ride close to the line, get out
of the habit of it.

·
Registered
740 Posts
That's good advice and a good reminder.

Consider a road lane as divided into 3 mini lanes, numbered 1, 2, and 3, with 1 being closest the center line.

I switch continually between 1 and 3, depending on oncoming traffic and other road conditions. ( I usually try to avoid position 2 since that's where the oil slick lives.) Usually position 1 gives me the best sight line down the road and also makes me most visible to oncoming traffic. When said oncoming traffic is within 200 feet or so I move quickly to position 3. This puts me at maximum distance from the oncoming traffic and also causes my headlight to make a sudden sideways move. That has been shown to be an effective attention getter for other drivers. My goal is to see and to be seen.

Some people call this the SMIDSY move (Sorry Mate I Didn't See You), with the idea being to prevent ever hearing another driver say that.

Again, all of this depends on which way the road is bending, the condition of the road along the fog line (the white line near the shoulder), etc. Maximize sight line, maximize visibility.

·
Very Famous Person
9,875 Posts
--

I thought I was the only one who used that logical riding strategy. Good Job! ?

--

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Used to be they did not want you to ride in the middle on account of the oil. And to not ride close to the kerb on account of the dangers about.

UK

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
Kerb is a curb next to the foot path. The inside lane in English is the one closest to the kerb. The outside lane, is the one furthest away from the kerb. I do believe it is backwards in North America.
And I just checked, both words are in the dictionary, written by a Yankee in NZ. Kewl.

UK

·
Very Famous Person
9,875 Posts
--

UK,
Although you are not American, you are North American and NAs spell the edge of the pavement "curb". Or are you an illegal immigrant from the rest of the world? :unsure:

--

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
13,127 Posts
Some people never expand their horizons and insist of colouring inside the lines, kerb or no curb.

·
Premium Member
7,848 Posts
--

UK,
Although you are not American, you are North American and NAs spell the edge of the pavement "curb". Or are you an illegal immigrant from the rest of the world? :unsure:

--
Thank you for asking. This is the fourth country I have legally lived in, including the US. My work for King and country is now over, and I have decided to stay on my Island. Through my limited travels, compared to Shirley, I have noticed there is a large world full of people outside the US. Many speak English, and many use different words for the same thing. Just like folks in the US have different words for the canopy that sits on the back of a pick up truck. Just like other places the US introduces phrases. A recent example might be: Okay I am gonna go ahead and check this tar. Used to be you just checked the tar, but now, like, you know, we need to go ahead and do it.
Okay, go ahead, back up, might be an instruction to a cage driver.
If you are wondering, I have a trusted traveler / Nexus card, having been cleared by Homeland Security.

Meanwhile the US remains alone with the use of fudged imperial measurements. However many industries have changed. Canada also retains some imperial to serve the US market. The US also needed to get up to speed with the ISO90 standards.

My 15 minutes of fame was attained on a US track.

UK

·
Very Famous Person
9,875 Posts
--

Alas, my fame has never been properly acknowledged. :(

--

1 - 12 of 12 Posts