Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went riding today with my wife and when we returned I noticed one of my leather saddlebags had almost completely ripped off and was barely connected to the bike. Is there a way to have these repaired? Should I just look for new saddlebags? And, if so, where's a good place to get them?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
It might be helpful if you mentioned what sort of bike you have, what sort of saddle bags you have, and how it was that they almost got ripped off. :)

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Someone that does leather work may be able to repair them. I don't know how much the cost would be, but you could probably get an estimate.

·
American Legion Rider
25,606 Posts
Someone that does leather work may be able to repair them. I don't know how much the cost would be, but you could probably get an estimate.
Like a shoe/boot repair joint.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update on Saddlebags

Sorry, I have a 2001 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic with aftermarket Saddlebags. They're leather and connect to each other under the passenger seat. I have no idea how it ripped. We went on a ride yesterday and didn't notice anything on any stop until we got home and the one bag was hanging off. This is a picture of the good side.

There's a tag on the bag that says ALC Global, but that's about it.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
typically called "Throw over bags" they are connected by a leather (or leather like) strap and are either sewn on, or more likely, riveted on....check the back of the good bag and see how it's attached, then like the others said, a leather repair shop, boot/shoe shop, or an auto upholstery shop can fix it

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yup I used to use "throw over" saddlebags too & they usually work great. Mine even had zippers attaching the bag to the strap for quick release.
Take your seat off & inspect what part of the strap is ripped.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here's the damage

These are the "throw over" type that you've described and even have the zipper for quick release. The zipper part that connects to the bag is the part that's ripped. I'll look for a leather repair shop in my area.

·
Veteran Member
3,275 Posts
Those are vinyl bags, like many seats and bags are these days. That it ripped the way it did is unnerving. Not a very strong material. I'd be paranoid every time I rode thinking I'd lose it and what's in it. What was the purchase price? They seem inexpensive from what I see online from the manufacturer. You'll need to get a price from a repair shop, if they will repair it, and decide if it is worth it, or better to buy a new set.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If you get them repaired it might be a good idea to have some reinforcement sewn in along where the repair is. A strip of heavy canvas might work well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts