Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may come into some extra cash here in a bit and I think I may want some new saddle bags. I thought the ones that were on it when I bought it were small but ok but they are so small I can't even fit a half helmet in them so now I really want some better ones. But just like about everything else I've ever looked at on a bike I keep getting stick shock for how much everything costs. I've seen some that weren't as expensive but they just laid over and know how I feel about them. Do they just hang on there and look like you just hung a bag on the side or do they stay pretty tight on there?

I'd like something bigger than what I've got like big enough to handle a half helmet, rain gear, some bungee cables and possibly roll my jacket up into if I get too hot while not taking over the bike.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I spent a couple of hours in my local multi-brand store waiting for some work to be done recently so I got to look around. They had some nice saddlebags that would definitely hold a half helmet for under $200. I have hard bags on my own bike so it didn't mean much to me but I was curious so I inspected them as if I was buying a bagless bike off the floor.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I put a pair of saddlebags on my first bike. I had a friend build up two s/steel frames - just large u's that hung down outside the shocks with a piece of pipe welded in to bolt them to the rear wheel arch - replaced the existing bolts with longer hex head socket screws. I passed the saddle bag joiner under the pillion seat, and tied the bottom of each bag to the frame. That stopped them rubbing in against the shock and wheel or flapping around. The s/steel frames cost me a dozen beer.

Did 24,000 km (15,000 miles) on that bike and then transferred them to my next bike - cost another dozen beer to get the u extended to a longer bolt hole centre.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Jusgt make sure they have quick releases and not JUST traditional buckles. Those take forever.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
<opted for bags that mount on the passenger seat, and took OFF my "saddle bags."

-Soupy

·
Registered
411 Posts
I picked up a used pair of heavy leather saddle bags at a swap a couple of years ago for $20. Used them today.

I have a backrest mounted amid the seat, with a canvas backpack on it that my son gave me.
I cut a pair of holes and slots in the joiner to accommodate them onto the bike, but it's easy. I spend maybe ten seconds putting them on.

Went grocery shopping, as usual.
Two dozen eggs, bread, milk, Romaine lettuce, grapes, four boxed gyros, hashbrowns, ice cream, four cans of soup and two boxes of cereal. The pair of canvas grocery bags were stored in the backpack.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts