Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
25,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very sad sight. Even if they were unsafe. Have no idea where this is but someone here might have seen it.

·
Visionary
5,063 Posts
Would be kind of fun to show up there on foot with a pocket full of tools and a can of gas and ride away with something you put together :)
We used to do that with old bicycles at the town dump growing up, walk over with a crescent wrench and build something to ride home on, then destroy it doing stunts. Not that we didn't have bikes, but it was the challenge of building something from junk that I loved. I bet no one does that anymore...

·
Charlie Tango Xray
768 Posts
Some of those parts are nearly impossible to find around here. Looks like they've been getting picked apart though. Hopefully they've been selling the parts online. I know many old codgers around here that have horded old bikes and snowmobiles parts their whole lives. And if you ask them if they have a shift lever for a 1980 Twinstar, they can tell you the exact location in their mess where you will find it. And then their grandkids showed them how to supplement their retirement by selling/shipping parts online and the prices skyrocketed..... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Those 3 wheel off roaders have been made illegal in GA. You can get money (a little) for them at the recycler, so I don't know why they would just dump them.

·
25,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess is the touring model of those trikes...

Reactions: Porky

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
The 3 wheelers were not safe to ride at any speed. The four wheel Oddity was worsa. Was the bouncy tires.
We, the dealers, crashed the 3 and 4 wheelers, when they were first introduced by Honda. The Oddity at Banff Springs golf course practice range. One guy got big air off the T off area, and landed badly.
After the 4 stroke XL250, Honda made a 2 stroke 250 dirt bike. It was not good. They used the engines in the Oddity.
Both driven sensibly on a flat terrain were okay. The totally missed the consumer market mentality.
It worked in their favor with the CB750, as they were seriously thrashed, and hung together.
Just thunked. Early on there were tire problems, and no decent replacements.

UK

·
Ace Tuner
3,130 Posts
Those 3 wheel off roaders have been made illegal in GA. You can get money (a little) for them at the recycler, so I don't know why they would just dump them.
Those things are illegal, to sell new, everywhere in the USA.
The smallest of them were fun to ride balancing up on the front wheel and one of the rear wheels though.

S F

·
SUPER MODERATOR
8,954 Posts
I hope the picture is from Ralph Naders back yard!

There was nothing inherently wrong with the 3 wheel design.

I first rode a Honda 185 ATV that belonged to a Friend in the California desert and it felt ODD for the first 100 yards and 30 seconds. Leaning and weight shifting was all that was required. When I returned a few minutes later, I ascended a 20 foot high, 45 degree hill, turned around at the top and came down, like I'd ridden the ATV for years.

10 minutes later, I was riding the rear tires only on his Honda CR250, 3 wheel ATV and sliding around at high speed in the sandy Desert.

My Family and I were riding Motocross dirt bikes at the time but I went out and bought the whole Family new 3 wheel ATV's and we had a ball with them!

The trouble was people that let the uninitiated or completely new to motorcycles or ATV's take their first ride on Asphalt or concrete which is very dangerous for a beginner. Another problem was not having a clear, wide open area, devoid of obstacles that the newbie had to avoid in a panic situation.

Yeah, the CORVAIR was dangerous Nader---Ha ha ha. He tried to get the VW Beetle outlawed too.

Sam 😎

·
Registered
2015 custom/ modded Yamaha R3
958 Posts
Ah yes the old atc's. The trick was to avoid turns and hills so it wouldnt flip.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,426 Posts
@Porky, I road a 250R just like in your post only it seems it had slicks or something close on the rear with a wider axle.

My stepdads oldest son used to race it around Phoenix Arizona and had brought it back to Kansas one year. I got rear good at power sliding corners in our yards with it.

My mom flipped it, catching the rear wheel on the fence going down a straight.... That put an end to our fun that day ...

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
4,426 Posts
Grandpa had one, a big red, on the farm. After taking grandma for a ride and ending up standing it upright, he'd joke about the front rack being his ballast box.

I always wanted a big red to haul a hay bale on to feed the cows when I was a kid😁

·
25,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's main downfall was too much beer could be consumed by the operators. :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
OMG...Look at all those engines!! :) Im crying inside right now..:)

Old post I know, But im new here and looking around..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts