Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shirley's first husband has colon problems and not long to live. He is 70.
He used to ride, had an XS650 and later an XS1100.

He has gifted the XS1100 to me. Has not run for about 10 years. I am assuming it is a cleaner bike than mine. So I need to get the belch mobile running, and ready to pick up my new bike.
If I count my spare and incomplete XS1100 MNS, I will have 3 XS1100, 1 XS400, and 1 SV1000. That seems about right, but still no dirt bike.

If I knew why guys like me will live a very long time, and others do not, I would try and tell you. But ever since my neighbour, the nicest guy in Canada, died at age 49, I have no idea.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Help

I'm glad that he will have a friend near at a time like this and not be alone. Good on you both for helping him out at this time.
Thank you Eye. Shirley is a true treasure to be the main source of help, for an ex husband. She is at the hospital now, while I am on the Island working on chores.

Unkle Crusty*

·
So long
2,753 Posts
If I knew why guys like me will live a very long time, and others do not, I would try and tell you...
He's blessed to have you and Shirley. Nice of him to gift you his bike.

As for why some of us outlast others, maybe there's some truth to that Billy Joel song "Only the Good Die Young". It's too late for me to die young. And, I'm glad for that.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
You will all be in my prayers Uncle Crusty. It proves you AND Shirley are wonderful caring people.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
It's pretty unique I would suppose, to have a cordial relationship with someone who is your wife's "ex." You're lucky that is the case.

Certainly "condolences" to all the family surrounding this man.

The local "Obits" tell the story of many who I have outlived, and stand amazed at that fact.

Having "one" bike has been a challenge for me, let alone a bunch of em. Good luck maintaining them all.

-Soupy

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you

Thank you, OZ, MONI and SOUPY.
Larry, was Shirley's first husband. They divorced, Shirley remarried and that fellow died. Larry's parents died within the past year. He is not close to his sister, or anyone for that matter.
It is a strange feeling being with his ex wife, and soon to have his motorcycle.
They did not tell me about this sort of thing when I was a kid, or in marriage counseling. However many years in the insurance business revealed a lot about people. Things I tried to avoid when I was younger.
Larry and Shirley used to go to the bike races when I was riding in the early seventies.
I would be most pleased if Larry could survive, with some degree of comfort for a few more years.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
336 Posts
Wish all of you the best Crusty, I dont understand some of Gods plans either but I do trust in Him.Like in 09 when me and my wife were in a life threatening crash on the bike and she ended up handicapped with brain damage to boot and I did not.She has always been kind and good to everyone and me....well not so much back in the day.Not a day goes by that I think that it should be me in her place and her in mine.Not for me to say so I keep on keepin on trying my best to follow what the Lord has laid out for me.Prayers to all of you.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
It is wonderful that your wife and her ex-husband have remained friendly. Especially to this extent. May he be blessed with a peaceful finish of this life in the presence of those who care.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Crash

Wish all of you the best Crusty, I dont understand some of Gods plans either but I do trust in Him.Like in 09 when me and my wife were in a life threatening crash on the bike and she ended up handicapped with brain damage to boot and I did not.She has always been kind and good to everyone and me....well not so much back in the day.Not a day goes by that I think that it should be me in her place and her in mine.Not for me to say so I keep on keepin on trying my best to follow what the Lord has laid out for me.Prayers to all of you.
I hear you Harley, and thank you.
If I crash and hurt myself I can accept that. I would hate to crash and have Shirley get hurt.
I hope you can find the best possible peace for yourself.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ex

It is wonderful that your wife and her ex-husband have remained friendly. Especially to this extent. May he be blessed with a peaceful finish of this life in the presence of those who care.
Thank you Bwana.
My ex is 250 miles inland. I headed west, went as far as I could, ran out of land, met the Pacific. Looked around and found my Island in the Salish Sea.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks Crusty,I won't ever find peace in the situation but I try to remember that everything happens for a reason even though we cannot possibly fathom what that reason might be.

·
American Legion Rider
18,544 Posts
That could never of happened with my wife's ex. I actually wanted pound him into the ground. Seemed he was real brave slapping her around. I had the chance meeting of him once and my wife then asked that I (we) leave. She could tell I was getting prepared. Never seen the little creep since.

·
Female Rider
9,324 Posts
My theory is, hit on me, my children,or one of my grandkids, you better remember you have to sleep sometime, I guarantee you'll be sleeping for a long long time. In fact, you probably won't wake up.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts