Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 94 soft tail. I need to remove the 4 studs that go through the cylinders. Vice grip didnt do it. Left hand threads maybe? Any suggestions on how to get the studs out would be appreciated. Thanks

Latter

Chris

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Vice Grips?! Did he say VICE GRIPS???!!!!

Dude, let's start with.........if you are going to work on an American Classic, you get yourself a good set of REAL tools!! Let's invest in some sockets, ratchets, etc.. (American AND Metric threads).

If you are going to put your hands on a HD Softtail, at least give it the respect it deserves, by using proper tools!! (I know that Vice Grips can be useful. I own a few sets. But REALLY dude. Your messing with the heart of the bike.........treat it with the respect it has earned). That ain't no Suzuki 250 you have in your garage!!

Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey on those rods!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Once you take the head bolts off there is nothing but a straight stud going through the cylinders to the block how would you get a round stud unscrewed without something like a vice grip?

PS. Pistons rings are rusted to the cylinder walls. Seized and Seized good.
I have to lift the cylinders just to get to the studs. I was hoping to get the studs out so I can try to spin the cylinders in a attempt to free them from the pistons. I just sprayed the heck out of the situation with WD-40.

·
American Legion Rider
21,754 Posts
You may have a tough one on your hands. May take MONTHS of putting penetrating oil on them constantly. I really don't know if heat will help either in this case but may. After months though, tapping with hammer will help. But as far as direction of thread, hang in there and Eye_m_no_angel will be along to say which one you have there.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
You're going to have to get the pistons free so you can remove the cylinders first.

Wipe out the WD-40 you used on there and spray on some Kroil, PB Blaster, or something more along those lines. Have a helper put a spline drive socket on a breaker bar and apply steady constant pressure to the end of the sprocket shaft. As he's doing that use a wood block and small hammer and gently tap-tap-tap on the top of the pistons, first one then the other. Make sure your buddy is trying to turn the crankshaft in the right direction so the pistons are trying to go down. He's pulling them and you're tapping them. Be patient. If they don't move, leave the Kroil on them and let them soak a few hours and put more Kroil on them. Finesse and gently persuasion are more effective then brute force.

Once you have the cylinders off you can double nut the studs and use an air impact driver to take them off. Don't use a pair of vise grips on them without taking the cylinders off as you're likely going to scratch the cylinder seating surface, and you'll be chasing oil leaks forever after that.

·
American Legion Rider
21,754 Posts
He may have screwed the threads up already using the Vice-Grips on them.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
They don't have threads down low where he's talking about grabbing them, but you're right, Hog. If he goes to twisting on them with a vice grips they're probably toast anyway. Once they get even a little bit bent they're likely to cause leaks because you won't be able to torque down the head properly. That's why if you want to re-use them you should take them out with an impact driver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts