Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Quite new to motorcycle maintenance here - recently I left my 2004 Ninja 250 sitting for a few months. It was running a bit rough when I returned to it so I pulled the carb and use carb cleaner and some wire to clean the main and pilot jet. This is a procedure that I've completed without issue before, but this time after putting everything back together it's running quite lean (blip the throttle and the revs stay high for a few seconds before dropping down; lots of popping/backfiring when decelerating).

My understanding is that I can pull the carb again and adjust the ratio screws to 2 turns out and play with them until it's running properly, but I'm not convinced this is the issue because I didn't touch them when cleaning the jets.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Thanks.

·
Ace Tuner
2,566 Posts
Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?
Thanks.
Yes, Don't start adjusting things just yet.
You need to Remove All the Jets and clean the ports (passages) inside the carb body. Many times you can use a spray can of B-12 Chemtool carb cleaner.
Keep at it till you're sure all of the ports are clear.

If the ports are too clogged to clear with the spray you might need to soak the stripped carb body in some kind of carb cleaning chemical.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts