Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I've had a few flat tires while on my motorcycle, and sometimes a road side repair was not possible. And while tires today are better than ever, unless you ride a Ural with its sidecar you won't have a spare tire to put on should your tire go seriously flat. It made me wonder if any tire maker was offering run-flat tires for motorcycles. A friend of mind had such tires on his BMW car, and while they were very expensive they gave him extra peace of mind knowing he would not have to ever be out in the rain on the side of the Interstate trying to change a tire. It would be nice to have them on a bike, especially when far from home in a remote area where you don't even have cell service to call for help.

·
8,606 Posts
Vito, I just "Googled" 'Run flat tires for motorcycles," and there is lots to read.

I believe the concern is that if the run flat tire loses SOME air, it could seperate from the rim bead on cornering and this would be worse than a flat or a blowout.

Flat's are my biggest fear. I do have a very nice, ride on trailer, with a 7 ft wide, fold down ramp, just in case my Wife or Son have to rescue me beside the road somewhere in "Deliverance" country. I do a lot of rides into "Hillbilly" areas and though it probably wouldn't be a problem, I still legally carry a snubbie, wheel gun 357, lots of water and a Iphone that seems to get coverage almost anywhere. It also has a GPS locator feature where my Wife and Son can pinpoint my location at any time.

Sam:biggrin:

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Vito, I have all season run flats on my car. BMW cars delivered with the run flat option have no spare tire to save weight and space.

My '02 Police Road King (FLHPI) had run flat police tires when new. I think they were Dunlop D402 PT. The tires were swapped out for standard Dunlops when the bike was sold for civilian use, since the police tires are not rated for two up riding. I don't know if those tires are still available, check with a Harley dealer for more info.

·
Pale Rider
528 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but... Phone GPS applications only work when/if you have *data* service! We tried using my wife's smart phone for a GPS, but she had no *data* service, even though she had voice service (AT&T Samsung Galaxy VI near Prairie Du Chen, WI -- somewhat rural). We did not take the regular, satellite-based GPS unit, because we thought her phone would have full service... From now on, we will always take the 'old-fashioned', satellite-based, GPS with us. Cheers!
:coffee:

·
8,606 Posts
You know, when I was younger, I never even used to worry about breaking down on the side of the road but now, it worries me. In the rural areas where I mostly ride, it could be a long time before someone drives by that would actually stop to help. It could also be a very long walk to find help! As the Boy Scouts taught me: "Be prepared."

Sam:biggrin:

·
Registered
467 Posts
It scares me too, especially because of an assumption I tend to make and expect others to as well, that there's no point in stopping for a stranded motorist because everybody has a cell phone handy and the first thing you're going to do when you break down is call someone to come pick you up.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Run flat tires is the only reason I'm seriously considering a car tire. At one time Dunlop I believe made run flat tires for police bikes only. That just seemed so wrong to not offer it to everyone. That was back in the early 80's. Todays Dunlops do have a very stiff side wall so maybe they are still there but because of law suits don't call them "run flat" tires. Don't know. I know this. If any manufacture advertised a run flat I bet they couldn't keep them on the shelves. But to be honest, I've stopped looking for one. Figuring they just aren't available. Guess I better rethink that logic.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
... Todays Dunlops do have a very stiff side wall so maybe they are still there but because of law suits don't call them "run flat" tires. Don't know...
You're right, they no longer call them run flat. The new term is police bead retention tire.

Here's the ordering info for Road King Police bikes:
  • D402 PT – 16” rear police bead retention tire. HD part number 40549-96A
  • D402F PT – 16” front police bead retention tire. HD part number 43762-96A

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have had a couple of flats and used that flat fix in a can. It gives you a partially inflated tire and another 50 miles, plus or minus.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
You're right, they no longer call them run flat. The new term is police bead retention tire.

Here's the ordering info for Road King Police bikes:
  • D402 PT – 16” rear police bead retention tire. HD part number 40549-96A
  • D402F PT – 16” front police bead retention tire. HD part number 43762-96A
Back then they wouldn't sell a civilian one or a pair. Has that also changed? Starting my on search as well.:biggrin:

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Back then they wouldn't sell a civilian one or a pair. Has that also changed? Starting my on search as well.:biggrin:
I think you can special order them. Just be aware they have load limitations and are not for two up riding. Also, I heard they're tough to get off/on the rims, so no spoons for these tires. You'll need a machine for installation.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Heck I probably exceed the load limit solo.:D Back to car tire. I will have to check them out though.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
Yeah, that looks much like Ride-On Tire Sealant/Balancer.

I use that now.

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Just noticed this warning on the Dunlop web site. Looks like a special rim is needed for the police bead retention tire. http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/care-and-maintenance/

D402 PT bead-lock tires may be mounted only on matching Harley-Davidson FXRP, FLHTP or FLHP rims. Consult the owner’s manual and refer to the vehicle service manual for special tire-mounting instructions.​

·
Registered
537 Posts
Check out the poster "rollin'". He runs run flat tires on his epic rides. He goes places me and you never will. Check out some of his ride reports. You may have to wait a day or two for him to answer, he is on his way to and from the Arctic Circle AGAIN.

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/member.php?u=75623

In the 30 years I have been riding I have yet to have a flat while out. I should never have said that! But I do carry a plug kit with me, and change tires pretty regular.

Personally I think if you wear your tires out you are less likely to have issues than if they dry rot to death over time.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Check out the poster "rollin'". He runs run flat tires on his epic rides. He goes places me and you never will. Check out some of his ride reports. You may have to wait a day or two for him to answer, he is on his way to and from the Arctic Circle AGAIN.

http://www.motorcycleforum.com/member.php?u=75623

In the 30 years I have been riding I have yet to have a flat while out. I should never have said that! But I do carry a plug kit with me, and change tires pretty regular.

Personally I think if you wear your tires out you are less likely to have issues than if they dry rot to death over time.
I was on a trip but it was a plane ride for work.
Leaving soon for Inuvik, NWT, Canada and I will be using the Dunlop Winter Sport run flat snow tire on the rear.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts