Motorcycle Forum banner

Ruined my bodywork!!

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hogcowboy 
#1 ·
I know that my little 50cc scooter is incredibly pathetic compared to your motorcycles but I'm only 16 so its all can get right now until I get a 125 next year when I'm 17. I was riding home from school and when slowing down at the lights my moped slipped from underneath me and about 8mph. There are loads of scratches I will add some pictures tomorrow. It was a brand new lexmoto nano 50cc bought for 1200 but rrp was 1300. I understand that the cosmetics scratches are going to reduce the value but I was wondering by how much I can expect it to sell for with the damage and how much without it runs perfectly and service records are up to date. I want to know what the better option for me would be, either sell for less without replacing panels, or replace panels (£85) and sell for more, (I want to earn as much of my money back as I can), thanks!

#2 ·
Do not have a clue about the English used bike market. Here in the US we have several sites we can go to to get values. Places like kkb and edmunds. Not sure if the English have the same thing. My g5ut feeling is that it would be worth the 85 quid to fix it.

#3 ·
I know that my little 50cc scooter is incredibly pathetic compared to your motorcycles...

There are loads of scratches
You are on two wheels... that's all that matters!

As for the scratches, you might try using a rotary buffer with a mild polish compound. Done right, it can significantly improve the appearance of scratches and scuffs. I have no idea about getting your money back if you buy new parts. You could always list it "as is" with the price you want first. If you don't get any bites, then maybe consider investing in replacement parts.

#4 ·
I agree with Doc Sam sorta. I'd use coarse wet sandpaper to get the worst out then buff to high gloss with finer and finer wet sandpaper. You'll be surprised at the results. This does depend on how deep they are of course. You might need to add touch-up paint but you can still get it looking darn good if not almost unnoticeable.I'm curious as to what color. Some will be harder to match. Black or white pretty easy. Hopefully you don't have any pin-striping that got trashed as well. Will depend on your talent there. Maybe some of our bike restorers will have better info.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.