Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the opportunity to ride one of these, the cafe racer version, 525cc I think it was, single cylinder. All I can say is that I am very impressed with the motorcycle overall for fit, finish and authentic charm. Plenty of down low torque. Just felt good. I hope this company has continued success.

·
Save them all!
4,278 Posts
I rode one a few years ago and had a very similar impression. Not a powerhouse, but very adequate. Soupy has one - would be great to hear from him on how he likes it.

I really like the brand - they have character.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The new 650 twin might be a bit more peppy. Really, I was not disappointed at all for power with the big 535 thumper. It was more than sufficient to move smartly along and pleasantly so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I saw a few different Royal Enfields at my local motorcycle dealership, and I have to agree. I'm particularly interested in their new Himalayan - that is a really cool looking bike, but I would love to try them out, all of them.

Still, I'm afraid I'll make an excuse and come home with one. I'm not sure my marriage (or my bank account) could handle a third bike in less than a year.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
I may be a naysayer on this. But when it comes to me paying, that is when I get practical, by my standards. The Himalayan I would compare to the similar sized Suzuki.
The street bike I would compare to the 400 Yamaha. The newer single. My 83 XS400 twin is a far better street bike IMO. So you would be paying for the nostalgia, or what, certainly not performance.

Here is another comparison. A 71 Norton 750 Commando Fastback for $12,500.00 or a 96 Triumph Trophy 900 for $2,700.00. You would be paying a large amount for a collector in the case of the Norton. Most would not trust the bike on any long trip. An owner told me that yesterday. So, are we going to be practical, or nostalgic?

UK

·
Registered
193 Posts
My brother had one and I had several Norton, Triumph and BSA bikes - lot's of fun, great handling, but finicky and not always reliable. But then again nothing was back then.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
My brother had one and I had several Norton, Triumph and BSA bikes - lot's of fun, great handling, but finicky and not always reliable. But then again nothing was back then.
I was looking at a 71 Norton Commando Fastback yesterday. Told the guy I bought a new one in 1971. I mentioned the three good things: Clutch, triplex primary chain, and the chain case cover. Then I mentioned what broke or blew up, how the handling was lousy, the 12 mph missing from the top speed, and a bunch of other stuff. Took me a while.
I also owned one of the fastest Nortons. Quite similar to the John Player Norton with the trick frame, that went 107 around the IOM. The pic at left is a BSA.
On Thursday I will ride the first Triumph since about 1972 or 1973. First one I rode was about 1961.

UK

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may be a naysayer on this. But when it comes to me paying, that is when I get practical, by my standards. The Himalayan I would compare to the similar sized Suzuki.
The street bike I would compare to the 400 Yamaha. The newer single. My 83 XS400 twin is a far better street bike IMO. So you would be paying for the nostalgia, or what, certainly not performance.

Here is another comparison. A 71 Norton 750 Commando Fastback for $12,500.00 or a 96 Triumph Trophy 900 for $2,700.00. You would be paying a large amount for a collector in the case of the Norton. Most would not trust the bike on any long trip. An owner told me that yesterday. So, are we going to be practical, or nostalgic?

UK
Well, each to their own. Do not get me wrong, I am fond of Japanese motorcycles but they tend to have bland personalities and the Enfields exude personality, visually and mechanically. Performance has nothing to do with the attraction.

If I need a UJM I will grab my Yamaha MT-07 (the engine on it actually bubbles with personality). If I need performance I will take the Triumph 675R Triple, my eyeballs are still trying to catch up from the first time I stupidly thwacked the throttle near open not to mention it has the handling of the Daytona and Cheetah quick reflexes. I would be interested in the cafe racer Enfields, a poor man's Thruxton. Not sure if I would go single or twin on it. I really like thumpers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts