Motorcycle Forum banner

Royal Enfield opinion

5K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  pintoa 
#1 ·
I've read elsewhere that 2007-present Enfields are high maintenance and have frequent electrical problems. It didn't elaborate on what the maintenance is.

Anybody know differently?

George

#2 ·
Bit late to your party, but if it has to do with Royal Enfields. The folks who REALLY know what they're talking about are to be found over on the "Unofficial Royal Enfield Community Forum" (Google it, since I cannot yet . Since December 2007 I have had one of the older style 2005 Bullet 500ES Iron Cylinder Engine (ICE) pre-unit ones (with the separate gearbox, primary drive and real pushrods), and I just adore it. It needed some TLC when I first got it, but having since doubled its mileage to just shy of 9,000 miles, including a longish and completely trouble-free trip from Virginia to Pennsylvania and back, I believe I am ready to knock wood and call it "reliable"...at least compared to the various Nortons and BSAs I've owned.

The newer post-2008 Unit Construction Engine (UCE) Bullets are said to be a bit more robust in some respects, but with more to go wrong: usually one hears about electrical stuff like the fuel injection, fuel pumps and other gizmos lacking in the older carburetted models. That said, I'd happily give a newer UCE a good home if one came my way at a good price.

Be well advised however, that Royal Enfield Bullets of any sub-species are NOT for everyone. Like any aged classic design, you WILL need to tinker with them to keep them happy. They do not reward neglect. Also, they were basically designed in the '40s for your grandaddy's roadways. Their happy place is 2-lane blacktop. They'll happily cruise all day between 50-60 mph, though interstates are, in general, best avoided. That said, used properly these ancient soulful thumpers absolutely WILL reward you with a unique, more "equestrian," riding experience like no other bike. Frankly, given their ultra-low price, I'm amazed EVERYONE who loves to ride doesn't have one.

Look, if you're still mulling over getting an Enfield, those Winter bargains are coming soon, and you'd do well to head on over to that other forum and just rummage around to see what's what.

#3 ·
Bit late to your party, but if it has to do with Royal Enfields. The folks who REALLY know what they're talking about are to be found over on the "Unofficial Royal Enfield Community Forum" (Google it, since I cannot yet post links). Since December 2007 I have had one of the older style 2005 Bullet 500ES Iron Cylinder Engine (ICE) pre-unit ones (with the separate gearbox, primary drive and real pushrods), and I just adore it. It needed some TLC when I first got it, but having since doubled its mileage to just shy of 9,000 miles, including a longish and completely trouble-free trip from Virginia to Pennsylvania and back, I believe I am ready to knock wood and call it "reliable"...at least compared to the various Nortons and BSAs I've owned.

The newer post-2008 Unit Construction Engine (UCE) Bullets are said to be a bit more robust in some respects, but with more to go wrong: usually one hears about electrical stuff like the fuel injection, fuel pumps and other gizmos lacking in the older carburetted models. That said, I'd happily give a newer UCE a good home if one came my way at a good price.

Be well advised however, that Royal Enfield Bullets of any sub-species are NOT for everyone. Like any aged classic design, you WILL need to tinker with them to keep them happy. They do not reward neglect. Also, they were basically designed in the '40s for your grandaddy's roadways. Their happy place is 2-lane blacktop. They'll happily cruise all day between 50-60 mph, though interstates are, in general, best avoided. That said, used properly these ancient soulful thumpers absolutely WILL reward you with a unique, more "equestrian," riding experience like no other bike. Frankly, given their ultra-low price, I'm amazed EVERYONE who loves to ride doesn't have one.

Look, if you're still mulling over getting an Enfield, those Winter bargains are coming soon, and you'd do well to head on over to that other forum and just rummage around to see what's what.

#4 ·
Bit late to your party, but if it has to do with Royal Enfield, the folks who REALLY know what they're talking about are to be found over on the "Unofficial Royal Enfield Community Forum" (Google it, since I cannot yet post links). Since December 2017 I have had one of the older style 2005 Bullet 500ES Iron Cylinder Engine (ICE) pre-unit ones (with the separate gearbox, primary drive and real pushrods), and I just adore it. It needed some TLC when I first got it, but having since doubled its mileage to just shy of 9,000 miles, including a longish and completely trouble-free trip from Virginia to Pennsylvania and back, I believe I am ready to knock wood and call it "reliable"...at least compared to the various Nortons and BSAs I've owned.

#5 ·
Bit late to your party, but if it has to do with Royal Enfield, the folks who REALLY know what they're talking about are to be found over on the "Unofficial Royal Enfield Community Forum" (Google it, since I cannot yet post links). Since December 2017 I have had one of the older style 2005 Bullet 500ES Iron Cylinder Engine (ICE) pre-unit ones (with the separate gearbox, primary drive and real cam-driven pushrods), and I just adore it. It needed some TLC when I first got it, but having since doubled its mileage to just shy of 9,000 miles, including a longish and completely trouble-free trip from Virginia to Pennsylvania and back, I believe I am ready to knock wood and call it "reliable"...at least compared to the various Nortons and BSAs I've owned.

#6 ·
Bit late to your party, but if it has to do with Royal Enfield, the folks who REALLY know what they're talking about are to be found over on the "Unofficial Royal Enfield Community Forum" (Google it, since I cannot yet post links). Since December 2017 I have had one of the older style 2005 Bullet 500ES Iron Cylinder Engine (ICE) pre-unit ones (with the separate gearbox, primary drive and real cam-driven pushrods), and I just adore it. It needed some TLC when I first got it, but having since doubled its mileage to just shy of 9,000 miles, including a longish and completely trouble-free trip from Virginia to Pennsylvania and back, I believe I am ready to knock wood and call it "reliable"...at least compared to the various Nortons and BSAs I've owned.

Be well advised however, that Royal Enfield Bullets of any sub-species are NOT for everyone. Like any aged classic design, you WILL need to tinker with them to keep them happy. They do not reward neglect. Also, they were basically designed in the '40s for your grandaddy's roadways. Their happy place is 2-lane blacktop. They'll happily cruise all day between 50-60 mph, though interstates are, in general, best avoided. That said, used properly these ancient soulful thumpers absolutely WILL reward you with a unique, more "equestrian," riding experience like no other bike made in this century. Frankly, given their ultra-low price, I'm amazed EVERYONE who loves to ride doesn't have one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.