Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the petrol head grandson out this week. Got stuck in some traffic which was quite heavy, and no room to really over take.
Was holding the Royal Enfield bullet 2007 version. 4 speed box with no electric start, and the gear lever on the right hand side. The clutch started to engage of its own accord. So much so that the bike stalled. Restarted the bike and clutch ok for a short time and then the same problem. This happened several times, so turned bike around and went home.
Any ideas as to the problem.
Nubsey

·
Registered
781 Posts
Sounds like something as simple as a clutch adjustment. Or a cable adj. Start with the cable. Do you have any slack (about a 1/4 in.) when the lever is fully released?

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Not familiar with the bike, does it have a cable or is the clutch activated by hydraulics?

The clutch on my Yamaha started acting up once. I had to pull the lever all the way to the bar, and it would start engaging as soon as I relaxed my grip on it. It has a hydraulic clutch. Changed the fluid and it started working just fine again. That's been more than a year ago now.

·
Premium Member
9,826 Posts
There are other things we need to know about the clutch. Early British used cork inserts. What type of clutch does the RE have? I expected a cable. Does the clutch disengage okay at first, and then start to grab after being in gear for a while? Then leave it in neutral until a gear is needed. Does it go clunk and creep when selecting first or second? then it needs adjusting if it did not do that previously. Is it a wet or dry clutch? Does it run in the same oil as the engine? If yes, what oil is being used.
Do other RE do the same thing?

UK

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are other things we need to know about the clutch. Early British used cork inserts. What type of clutch does the RE have? I expected a cable. Does the clutch disengage okay at first, and then start to grab after being in gear for a while? Then leave it in neutral until a gear is needed. Does it go clunk and creep when selecting first or second? then it needs adjusting if it did not do that previously. Is it a wet or dry clutch? Does it run in the same oil as the engine? If yes, what oil is being used.
Do other RE do the same thing?

UK
Hi again,
Yes we have the cork inserts! Yes ok at first then started to engage after sitting in traffic and keeping it in gear. Yes everything is fine at first Sometimes it clunks/ rattles when going into first, but nothing unusual about that. Will check the adjustments. It was a hot day don't know if that matters. It is a wet clutch, and I do not know what oil is in it.
I am also struguling to find out what oils should be used in the bike, as there ae 3 oils required. Engine, gearbox and primary chain / clutch. Anyway will check adjustments when I get a chance.

Nubsey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts