Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got them things in today.

If you are really really lucky, you can get these installed all by yourself, something I won't try again.

With the help of wife and son I was finally able to get these installed.

I do have the handlebars slightly off center, and 1 extension is angled slightly lower than the other........which is probably why we could get the handlebars exactly centered.

Neither of these imperfections effects anything, you have to be looking for something wrong to see it.

The main trick to getting these installed is to pivot the extensions all the way forward and tighten the rear riser bolts, enough so that it takes some effort to pivot the the extensions. The reason is because once you angle the extensions back you can't get to the rear riser bolts, unless you have a tight space allen wrench.

3 inch extensions are actually 2 3/4 inches.

I can now lay all the way back into my new Saddlemen seat with backrest, grab the handlebars and let my arms hang. Before, leaning back meant stretching for the handlebars, and that wasn't total comfort.

Overall I think these are an excellent idea that could be a little better.

Mine are installed and they're staying.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
From the link you posted and looking at the product it looks like you went about it about the right way. (I've never seen them, so I'm just going by the pictures.)

The only things I can offer is that next time (if there is one) it might be helpful to put a short, lightweight length of conduit in the upper clamps where the handlebars will be, and use that to line everything up and put the risers where you want them before you put your actual handlebars in the clamps.

Tight space Allen wrenches are easy. Just grind down the short end of one that fits. Not your prized set of quality ones, of course.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did think about running down to work and cutting it. After thinking about the problems I had with my "by myself" installation, I figured out (duh) to tighten one side get them where I wanted then tighten the other side.

While positioning the extensions and handlebars I also had to take note of the tension in the throttle cables(this is where 3 people comes in handy). If I were to try it again by myself I would stick something in the top clamps, tighten down the bottom then put in the handlebars.

Any way you go about it, while positioning the extensions, you need something in the top clamps holding the 2 pieces together, otherwise they will try to come out of the stock risers.

As it turns out I probably could have used 5in rise with 1in pullback. But they would have to be bike specific because the hole they go into is oval not round.

The plan was to first put these on the Sportster, just to see if that is what I wanted. I unbolted the the top clamp which houses the speedometer and idiot lights. The idiot lights have 8 wires with plugins above the handlebars and the speedometer has 2 wires hard mounted under the handlebars, I didn't feel like taping up 8 wires and plugins for a "just to see".

However I measured up 1 3/4 inches from the top of the handlebars and it seems I would have to angle them straight up in order to see the idiot lights. I don't want straight up so the 3 inch won't work. I don't think I have enough throttle cable to use the 4in.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it appears that these are such a great idea that Harley copied them as a stock feature on the 2015 Low Rider.

Exactly the same principle, looks a bit different, and it appears like you can get to the clamps that hold the pivoting riser extensions.

I don't know if this link will give the exact picture, you may have to click "next" until you get the picture.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Motorcycles/low-rider.html#!key-features

wait on it and it does take you to the correct picture.

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,225 Posts
They look good. Keep us informed on how well they work out for you while riding, as in how secure and tight they stay.

·
Challenged Mechanic
2,772 Posts
I need to put a pair of those on my Bonnie. Standard bars are just a tiny bit far but I can live with that, but standing on the pegs riding off road the stock bars are too low for comfort. There are some others I've looked at that are not so high and just offset to the rear and up an inch or so, but I have not found them for one inch bars. They are less expensive than the Rox, but you don't have the flexibility; on the other hand you don't need longer cables. Did your stock cables work as-is with the Rox?

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
Mike, if you need risers for 1" bars look at those made for HD's, such as what JP Cycles and others have. There are hundreds of styles and almost all are 1"ers.

I've only put a few on metrics but the ones I did, the bikes had 12mm mounting holes, so I only had to drill the trees out a few thousands of an inch for the 1/2 studs to fit. I'm not sure what is normal for most metrics, but that might give you some options.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They've been on for 6-7 weeks, no problems at all. I lay back in the seat, grab the handlebars and relax, no leaning or stretching.

Stock cables, brake line, wires. 3in is actually 2.75 inches, I don't think the throttle cables would take 3in in the same direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts