Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every morning its pretty much the same routine. Waking, and evaluating all my "parts" to see if I am functional. Yep, there's that pain; oh crap, I need the "john." It's a morning like any other. Some days are more enjoyable than others of course. For example, today is FRIDAY!!! There's a lot of great things about "Friday's!" For one thing, it is the day before I go to a Saxophone store and hang out with all the instruments, and talk with the very knowledgeable owner.
Part of my morning routine, for which I can rightly be accused of being predictable, is to take a cup of "joe" and go out to the unheated garage for a morning "cup-a" and a smoke. The garage is sided, and has a good roof and a good door, so it is a great spot for keeping out of the weather, on cold Winter days such as this one.
The Weatherman said we would have sub-zero temps this morning, and my thoughts turn to my truck in the driveway. "Lord, I pray the truck starts this morning," I mumble to myself.
As I enter the garage, the first thing I see is my bike, up on that inexpensive but holding, Hi-Lift Bike Rack. It has done its job admirably this first Winter with it. The tires are off the ground, and the bike is sheltered and in good order.
Back at the rear of the garage, is the workbench where I will set my coffee and plug in the little space heater that still puts out a good amount of heat, even on the coldest days.
"Just how cold is it," my brain thinks, and a quick glance at a thermometer hanging above the workbench tells me. "thirty degree." Amazing!! It can be sub-zero outside, but even in this unheated garage, I've never seen it below thirty. I know the gauge works correctly, I've seen it change, so I trust it.
That simple thermometer, mounted on a roughly shaped piece of brass, held on to the wall by two simple brackets, makes me smile. It was a gift from my oldest daughter, now in her mid-thirties, but made for me back when she was a High School student. She had a class in Industrial Arts which, at the time, was a requirement for everyone, even if it had nothing
to do with the students aspirations. I can tell you without a doubt that my oldest daughter had NO love-lost for that class, and no desire to "tin-knock" any sort of creation. But in this case, she did it. Then she gave it to me as a gift.
It's not perfect, but then, when IS stuff really perfect. It has a couple of bend spots in the brass where she knocked it the wrong way. But the thermometer works; it reads the temp like I need it to do. Every time I see it, I'm reminded of her. That's the point really, isn't it?! The love of a family member, expressed in unique and creative ways, to warm our hearts, even on one of the coldest mornings on record for this year.
I may be a person of routine, with all the predictability and boring repetitiveness that entails, but I'm glad that seeing that thermometer each day, is part of my ritualistic behavior. My daughter may not realize how much that little tin-knocked thermometer means to me, but I think I'll tell her today!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
943 Posts
Yea, it would be good to tell her! It might mean a lot to her.

Some routines are good. Being retired going on three years now, about the only part of my day that is routine is first thing in the morning. Gone is the pressure to be out of the house at a certain time to get to work or to the rink (I was a figure skater.) Now I get up (usually too early), make a bathroom stop, and go straight to the coffee pot. I have two or three cups of Joe while checking out my daily forums. When I start feeling somewhat 'together' I start my breakfast and my dog's - there are just the two of us - and decide what the day's priorities are. I kind of like setting my own priorities after all these years!

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
Glad you shared with your daughter. My youngest daughter and I have that kind of relaxed relationship now. She's grown up now with her own family and we've found the 'glue' that keeps us tight is appreciating the little things from years past.

One time I went to a weekend airplane convention and lined up a museum tour for her. Part of the tour was a demonstration of making 'whisk brooms'. She bought one for me and gave it to me as thanks for taking her with me that weekend. It hangs in my shop by the dust pan and is used regularly. Every single time I use it or see it on the wall, it reminds me of how she delighted in doing the 'little' things for me.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The years go by so quickly. It seemed like only yesterday they were little. Now both are in their thirties and have families of their own. I'm glad I have "reminders" around here.

Equally welcome are their visits with their spouses and their kids. The house, flooded with grandkids, is a beautiful thing!!

As it relates to motorcycles, I would gladly trade my riding for time spent with them.

-Soupy

·
Premium Member
6,525 Posts
Friday

Well I am here with my coffee. No cream or sugar, just a dab of octane boost. Shirley makes it for me. Heavy rain forecast, puddle and mini rivers about, plus 10 C outside. 3 bikes and 2 spare boats are covered. Boat swinging in the Bay is not. I visit it every two weeks. It will be hauled out for a month shortly.
I am trying to put new windows in the boat in my drive. The rain is not helping.

I have been self employed since 1986, but moved away from my client base in 008. Late 008 and early 009 the markets took a long term tank. That cut into my trailing income and I needed cash flow. So I got a job. Did maintenance work for the harbour authority four days a week. New supervisor messed with my hours so I walked out and set the suited shark on them. That was last February. Added $$ to my pension plan, and bought the side car with the settlement money.

Since then I have been working on my Island property. Built a shed, dropped some trees, did some landscaping, bought the XS400 and got it running, bolted the side car to the XS11, went to the bike races for the first time in 40 years, and generally wondering how I ever had time for work. I am having to be a bit thrifty, my ex can not come up with the last $75,000.00 she owes me. But the markets have charged this last month, and I will survive okay. CPP, Canada Pension Plan pays me about $300- more than I figured. Last year I got both my wrists operated on to stop the tingling.

So, I am looking forward to another wonderful year. All three bikes running great. Boat will be in good shape for the most excellent summer cruise, the sixth in a row. Life is good. I still do a bit of service work for my clients, but do not actively seek new business.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,802 Posts
The years go by so quickly. It seemed like only yesterday they were little. Now both are in their thirties and have families of their own. I'm glad I have "reminders" around here.

Equally welcome are their visits with their spouses and their kids. The house, flooded with grandkids, is a beautiful thing!!

As it relates to motorcycles, I would gladly trade my riding for time spent with them.

-Soupy
I hear you on all counts.

I have two daughters,too. Started them early on to both shoot and ride. First thing both said when I told them about getting a motorcycle again was, "I can't wait for a ride, Dad!"

Now I need to find a small bike for the grandkid's to ride when they come... already have them shooting.

·
Aging & Worn
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear you on all counts.

I have two daughters,too. Started them early on to both shoot and ride. First thing both said when I told them about getting a motorcycle again was, "I can't wait for a ride, Dad!"

Now I need to find a small bike for the grandkid's to ride when they come... already have them shooting.
My daughters, (particularly the younger of the two) ask me for "rides." It often becomes a "father/daughter" outting.

I look forward to taking the grandkids, but they are all under the age of 6. I'll have to wait a few years.

-Soupy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts