Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
005 HD 1450 Soft tail Standard.
Roy left the enrichener device out and fouled the plugs. He put in new plugs and it is running rough. It sounds a bit rich. Starts okay, usual slow couple of cranks and blat blat. Enrichener knob is at the end of a cable on the LH side. Pulls out and pushes in okay. Can not see result at the other end. Slack in the throttle cable, and the slide goes up and down okay. Filter is a bit dirty. Had Roy fire it up with the filter off. Same sound. Both pipes warmed up evenly.
He has the thick service manual.
Any suggestions.
I told him to get one of those less complicated bikes like the new V4 Aprilia.
He also has an Heritage soft tail.
Roy is 72, started riding at 60 on the Heritage.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
He may just need to blow the cobwebs out of it. It has probably carboned up and that needs to be blown out.

Or he could try half a can of Seafoam in a full tank and drive it for a while before he does the above.

Third option is I don't have a clue what I am talking about. This one may be the best bet.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
Possibly damaged a plug wire / cap putting in new plugs. Not on snug. Or cracked one of the new plugs.

Always look where you were playing on the playground first.

·
American Legion Rider
23,692 Posts
May even be a bad new plug. It happens. Rare but it does.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Possibly damaged a plug wire / cap putting in new plugs. Not on snug. Or cracked one of the new plugs.

Always look where you were playing on the playground first.
^^^:thumbsup: Best place to start.

I'm not exactly sure what his running problems are, other then "rough." How does it idle? What happens when you roll the throttle? What happens when you pull the enrichener knob out and push it in?

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rich.

Last part of your questions.
Pull the knob out, it loads up, as in too rich. We did not run it long enough to check idle, but we way it sounds it might not idle.
Only hint of running condition is it sounds a bit rich. Does not sound like a plug firing problem.
I may get over to his place again tomorrow or Saturday. depends on the rain.
I will try and do a more thorough check, like battery condition and so on.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
This would probably be easier to diagnose if I could see, hear, and smell the bike first hand instead of reading about it in a foreign language. Have him stop by the house over the weekend and we'll see what we can figure out. :wink:

So, if you think it's running too rich here's a couple of things you can check when you get over there:

(I'm assuming it's an OEM CV carburetor, yes?)

Check the enrichener cable to make sure it's working properly in both directions. Undo the connection at the carburetor and make sure the needle isn't gummed up, the spring isn't damaged, and the end slides in and out as it should. Most rich conditions seem to originate with problems in this area.

When the air cleaner is off, look for wetness around the mouth of the carburetor venturi. That could mean that the float needle isn't seating correctly, for whatever reason, and the bowl is too full allowing gas to spill up. It could also be a mis-adjusted float, or a hole worn in the float allowing it to sink a bit and effect gas levels in the bowl.

The slide moves up and down with your finger and doesn't bind? Good. Make sure the needle moves up and down with the slide and doesn't lag or hang up.

If there's a vacuum operated petcock, (as stock,) pull the vacuum hose off the back of the carburetor and make sure there's no gas dripping out of it. If the petcock diaphragm starts to fail it can leak gas down the vacuum line into the carburetor.

Those are the easiest and most likely things I can think of to check for a CV carburetor. Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet.

Thank you Eye.
That sounds like the sought of things that could be happening. Just checking the forecast. Rain for three days. Darn. I will send Roy an email.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update.

Message from Roy.
I got antsy and rode the bike over to Tuff City in Nanaimo and got it fixed. They have this magnificent machine thingy, that you drop the carb into, and some special fluid gurgles in and around the carb, and cleans everything up. They wash it all in water and the carb comes out looking almost new. $200- later the bike is back together, and all is well. The bike is running sweet.

I am thinking Eye was on the money, with reference to the carb.

Unkle Krusty*

·
Troublemaker
2,517 Posts
At 72 years young, you don't have a lot of time to have a bike that isn't running right!

Glad it's fixed and running. More time diagnosing than fixing is a hard pill to swallow at any age.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts