Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks,

Looking for a step by step for this part repair. Electrical system is not charging and the dyno was tested @ 1.6 ohms. Gotta go.

No super handy but i can get things done if well laid out.

The Shop manual just kinda glares over the removal with much being assumed by the author.

Just looking for a little guidance and/or advice before i tackle this puppy.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Not too bad to do

http://www.ebay.com/itm/18mm-PULLER...18-1-5-HONDA-CB750-CB900-CB1100-/150645403380

Notice that this tool is also for your bike. I pulled a rotor on a smaller bike and all it took was an impact hammer to remove an inner bolt, then the bolt you see here is threaded in to the center and it pops right out. I used penetrating oil as well and tapped the bolt on the end a bit when it started to tighten. Easy peasy.
You can also order the same bolt from Home Depot for just a few dollars.

Just Google "remove rotor from cb900 motorcycle" and bunches of Youtube will come up.

caution; I do not have that exact machine, so you need to confirm everything i stated....maybe someone will happen along who has pulled one from your exact engine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fair enough. I had already ordered the puller tool. With this advice and "YouTube", I should be in good shape to tackle the job

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anybody try this method with and old rusty rotor? My 70 Yamaha R5 (Mitsubishi alternator) rotor has the inside thread, but so far I've only moved it out about 1/4" using a bolt with impact wrench, it stripped the bolt, while moving it the 1/4". Center threads still fine. Tried another bolt of known class 8.8 hardness and a hand wrench, still buggered the bolt threads. Used penetrating oil on each try. Tried another bolt, put it under tension and tapped it with a hammer, didn't work. Don't want to use heat because the coil tests good electrically. Trying to find an even harder bolt with correct threads. Any insight or ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
where did you get the 82??
Alex..... not sure if you were replying to me directly or not, but I don't have an 82 Honda, I have a 70 Yamaha. I replied on this forum because a lot of Japanese motorcycles share very similar and/or same brand alternators, and I was looking for general help getting the rusted-on rotor of my Yamaha off. (It's been parked outside over 30 years.)
An update on that is, I did get the rotor off, after ordering a class 10.9 metric bolt (10mm x 1.25 pitch on my Yamaha). 10.9 was the hardest bolt I could find in that pitch. (Class 8.8 had stripped.) I also applied a bit of heat to the hub of the rotor, and also whacked the head of the bolt once I got it under tension, as well as tapping the outside diameter of the rotor. As I tightened the bolt by hand, I took careful measurements with a dial caliper (depth function) to determine if the rotor was moving off the shaft or the bolt was stripping. It moved very slightly at first, but finally broke free enough to see movement and came off, needing to be pushed by the bolt most of the way.
My rotor was probably rusted worse than most people will encounter, and I haven't split the case yet to see if the crank is rust free and the motor can be rebuilt (easily, at home).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts