Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Yamaha Vstar 1100 classic and I’m ready to do an oil change. I heard some talk about using Rotella Diesel oil because it’s supposed to make it run smoother and have less clutch slippage. Does anyone know exactly which rotella oil we’re supposed to run because I don’t think they have a 20-50 weight???

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
They don't have a 20 - 50. I used Rotella a few years back but I can't remember exactly which flavor I used. Seems like it was a semi synthetic labeled T5 or T6, something like that.

Someone will be along shortly with an answer for you.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,005 Posts
T-6 I use it in my Royal Star Tour Deluxe.

·
Very Famous Person
9,776 Posts
--

I've probably got 170,000 miles on 2 Yamaha Road Star 1600s and have used that Rotella T6 15w-40 all the time. The bikes don't burn oil, start every time, and usually get 50 mpg each tank of gas. Even when there's no rebate going on, it's still only about $22.00 per gallon. What more do you want?

--

·
Ace Tuner
2,024 Posts
My supply of Bel-Ray EXP 10W-40 is running low.
I've been trying to decide if I will buy more EXP on the retail market or change to something MUCH less expensive.
Even at dealer cost EXP was high dollar stuff. When I changed to it all those years ago the dramatic improvement in smooth shifting sold me on it.
I may give Rotella T6 15W-40 a try after my EXP, and a few other high end M/C oils, that are still on the shelf are gone.

S F

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm running the Rotella T5 15w-40, which is Synthetic Blend, in my Enfield over the winter but in 6 weeks I'll switch to a 50 weight, probably Mobile One full synthetic.

No complaints on the T5 15W-40, and at $16/gallon on sale it is economical. I wish it came in 50 weight.

·
Registered
416 Posts
That Castrol Actevo is $66 or so for a 3-pack of one gallon jugs on Amazon with free shipping. You can buy it at Wally mart online too for about $23 per gallon, but there's no ship to store and no free shipping.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,005 Posts
Hey, man! Quit sneaking in to my bike barn and taking pictures of my one-of-a-kind gallon of oil!
Have you checked your barn lately?

T4- is dyno oil
T5- is a blended synthetic
T6- is synthetic

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
Just to back up what others have said.
Obviously not available in BC Canada, definitely not at Walmart, or Lordco the auto parts store. Can not get 15 40.
However I use the HD diesel oil in the older bikes, and the synthetic in the 006 SV1000S.
Bluzu does not like the wrong oil, the gear box and the clutch are quite particular. Good synthetic or nothing.
Some one told me using synthetic in my 83 XS400 would quieten the rattle when I first fire up. No change, might rattle more. Gear box is not crazy about it. So I will go back to the regular stuff. Yami the 79 XS1100 loves the HD Rotella. There are probably other good quality oils as well. My Yanmar diesel engine in the boat runs on it too. So does the 41 Ford tractor, although I could probably use cheap stuff.
UK

Attachments

·
Registered
677 Posts
I ran Rotella 15-40 for years in my big truck and all my cars and bikes. Never had a problem. Then, about 25 years ago to present day, I've used Dello 15-40. Again...no problem. Matter of fact, the Dello increased the oil pressure in my big truck! My cars and bikes don't seem to care if it's diesel oil or not. I may be wrong here so don't take it to the bank, but I believe diesel oil is a higher detergent oil than regular motor oil.

I've never seen the advantage of synthetic over regular oil, with proper maintenance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The way I heard it, Shell T4 15-40 diesel oil has extra additives in it. In a 2 ball wear test with a bunch of other oils, it was the best in reducing wear. I use in all my air cooled bikes and air/water cooled ones. Never had a problem, ever, in 10 years. Also use it in Ram 2006 5.9L diesel for the last 70K miles.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
I've never seen the advantage of synthetic over regular oil, with proper maintenance.
As I said above, Bluzu the SV1000S will not run properly on non synthetic. It was mostly the clutch, and then the gearbox that complained. I bought the wrong stuff because I only had the French manual with me. The difference is quite noticeable with Bluzu, but not noticeable with the older XS400.
UK

1 - 20 of 23 Posts