Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a black RSD Ronin in 2015. To date it has faded so much on certain panels, that it looks like a two tone jacket (not cool RSD). I contacted them, sent pictures - and they have offered the store I bought it from a credit, so i can either return or exchange (thank you RSD!). I love the style jacket, so i bought another with the intension on doing whatever I can to stave off the uneven fading.

Anyway, Lexol seems to be the tool of choice for keeping the leather conditioned. I bought some. Anyone have any information on keeping the perforated sections of the jacket conditioned, without destroying the inner liner? Also, has anyone here dealt with re-dying faded leather?

I'm also curious if anyone else has been surprised by the rate at which their RSD jacket has faded to greenish-brown?!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
Admittedly, this may seem like a jerk comment on part, but that is a sign of a mass produced, low quality jacket. You should never have too baby a leather jacket.

My solution was to buy a high quality American made leather jacket. You should not have to deal with that for the money you paid. Have you considered returning it and buying another brand? Schott or Fox Creek both make good looking jackets that you won't need to worry about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Admittedly, this may seem like a jerk comment on part, but that is a sign of a mass produced, low quality jacket. You should never have too baby a leather jacket.
My solution was to buy a high quality American made leather jacket. You should not have to deal with that for the money you paid. Have you considered returning it and buying another brand? Schott or Fox Creek both make good looking jackets that you won't need to worry about.

Yes, it does seem like a comment designed to antagonize.

I believe it has more to do with the type of leather, and treatment that RSD uses - as opposed to anything you said above ( ??). The jacket is designed to fade over time. I just wasn't expecting it to fade so quickly.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
It wasn't meant to be an instigator post, just blunt. I did not realise it was designed to fade. Typically leather that fades is due to poor quality. And that is why I commented the way I did. But if that's the look you're after, I'll bow out of this thread. I know nothing about taking care of leather that's not supposed to looked cared for. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wasn't meant to be an instigator post, just blunt. I did not realise it was designed to fade. Typically leather that fades is due to poor quality. And that is why I commented the way I did. But if that's the look you're after, I'll bow out of this thread. I know nothing about taking care of leather that's not supposed to looked cared for. :)
Thanks for bowing out then. I see that you make about a post a day on average, going back around seven years. You'd think that in all of those posts, you'd have learned how to communicate succinctly without being antagonistic. 😜

That said, i'm clearly not very happy about quality control over at Roland Sands Design. I love the styling of the jacket, but would argue that, as you said - for $620, the leather patina should be a lot slower to arrive for sure. This jacket did get rained on quite a few times, and I should have conditioned it afterwords - which i did not. So I decided to get another to replace it... with the idea that I would "baby" it, maybe even re-dye it in a few years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Typically leather that fades is due to poor quality. And that is why I commented the way I did.
ALL leather fades, dries, and cracks. All Leather is damaged by rain, sun, & environment. Bottom line, all leather needs to be cared for, or "babied" is you say.
Look into it. 👍🏿

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
11,440 Posts
Damn Lurch you better either start posting more or become more aggressive because you aren't doing the job correctly.

You with the NYC attitude - you have nothing to bitch about you bought a jacket, it faded and they gave you a refund.

Now you can tell me off, because I don't give a crap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Damn Lurch you better either start posting more or become more aggressive because you aren't doing the job correctly.

You with the NYC attitude - you have nothing to bitch about you bought a jacket, it faded and they gave you a refund.

Now you can tell me off, because I don't give a crap.
That must be me? Naw, it's fine. You're right... but bitching wasn't my purpose. I was hoping to connect with others who have experience with Roland Sands Designs.
I see you two do a lot of tag teaming on this forum. It's cute. I support the LGBTQ. Keep at it guys! Check out Empire City Motorcycle Club next time you ride through NYC! They're great guys.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
My Fox Creek looks great after 2 years of riding in sun, rain, and snow. Yes, snow. The reason I bought it was because my dad has a Fox Creek that is pushing 4 decades old and still looks great. It's faded some, to be expected at 40, but nothing like your pictures. We oil them at the end of the season before storing for the winter. And that's it. I use Obenauf's leather oil.

As for my post conduct, there's a difference in knowing and not caring. ;) Though if you look back through all my posts here, you'll see that 99% are not antagonistic.

That said, $620 for an imported jacket that fades unevenly!? We have different standards.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I bought an RSD jack earlier this year. It didn't fit well. No room for my middle age spread and the sleeves were way too tight. Sent it back and looked elsewhere. Nice jacket though a little thin but well made and very stylish.

·
Veteran Member
3,201 Posts
Hey Critter, he thinks we like each other. :coffeescreen:

But seriously, New York guy, I really not a jerk most of the time. I don't know what you mean by critter and I tag teaming on people, and I certainly don't know what LGBTQ has to do with anything here.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My Fox Creek looks great after 2 years of riding in sun, rain, and snow. Yes, snow. The reason I bought it was because my dad has a Fox Creek that is pushing 4 decades old and still looks great. It's faded some, to be expected at 40, but nothing like your pictures. We oil them at the end of the season before storing for the winter. And that's it. I use Obenauf's leather oil.
See now, that was the response I was looking for! ✌🏼
Why do you keep saying that they aren't made in USA?

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I was hoping to connect with others who have experience with Roland Sands Designs.
Roland's Dad, Perry, started Performance Machine and they used to make very good quality parts at more reasonable prices. RSD seems to take common parts and add all sorts of fancy CNC design features without adding anything in the way of actual performance or quality. My experience has been that they offer average motorcycle parts at extremely over-inflated prices and I have yet to see anything that is worth the money they want for them.

I don't know anything about their clothing line other than everything is very high priced. $620 for a jacket? :surprise:

I see you two do a lot of tag teaming on this forum. It's cute. I support the LGBTQ. Keep at it guys! Check out Empire City Motorcycle Club next time you ride through NYC! They're great guys.
Lurch wasn't being antagonistic. He was voicing an opinion, and he did offer a further explanation. If candid opinions bother you a site with Bikers on it might be a little rough on your feelings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

After all that, i have to give it to you... the jacket is poorly made... in India. My apologies.

·
American Legion Rider
18,498 Posts
It must have had water soluble dye instead of oil and/or had zero UV protectant.

·
American Legion Rider
18,498 Posts
I assume yes to both. Is UV protectant a thing?
Yes but in your case, a little late. This should have been done before the leather was made into a jacket. But any leather product can use additional UV protection. Here's just one of many available.

EDIT: Oh crud. Got interrupted and was in the process of editing and forgot where I was so you got a double post. Truly sorry. Old fart syndrome at it's best.:sad::sad::sad:

Wish we had the ability to delete a post within 30, 60 or 120 seconds. I could have stopped this brain fart.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts