Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure it's about time I put together an emergency roadside toolkit, but seeing as I've never done any roadside repairs, I dunno which tools I'm most likely to need. Could you guys give me some pointers?

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
The tool I've used most is the cross-point screwdriver; next would be the 10mm and 12mm wrench. After that, what gets loose and needs a touch when you do your routine check?

A few spare bulbs - headlight and brake/turn signals, and maybe fuses, and the tools to access them (probably just the screwdriver).

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't run into anything that gets noticeably loose between my checks, but I haven't had this bike long enough to really get a sense of that yet. I suppose I'll need an Allen wrench (and 10mm, and screwdriver) for my fairings.

Now that I think about it, though, I should check my instrument panel next time I take the front fairing off. It seems to bounce quite a bit when I hit bumps.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
I carry a 1/2" - 9/16" wrenches, an assortment package of Allen and torx wrenches, a screwdriver with switchable flat and Philips, some wire, fuses, needle nose pliers with cutter and some duct tape. It's all emergency repairs so anything that would normally need electrical tape the duct tape will work just fine for and that stuff just comes in so handy to hold just about anything on until you can fix it properly. Everything is English but can be switched to metric easily. I have considered adding a adjustable wrench and remove the others and that would give me a hammer too and we all know you can't work on anything without a hammer.:D Problem is an adjustable won't fit in some places.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duct tape and a credit card.
:coffeescreen:

I carry a 1/2" - 9/16" wrenches, an assortment package of Allen and torx wrenches, a screwdriver with switchable flat and Philips, some wire, fuses, needle nose pliers with cutter and some duct tape. It's all emergency repairs so anything that would normally need electrical tape the duct tape will work just fine for and that stuff just comes in so handy to hold just about anything on until you can fix it properly. Everything is English but can be switched to metric easily. I have considered adding a adjustable wrench and remove the others and that would give me a hammer too and we all know you can't work on anything without a hammer.:D Problem is an adjustable won't fit in some places.
That's quite a bit of stuff. How much space does it all take up?

And a cell phone with the insurance company number to arrange a tow.
Got that! They'll even pay for my hotel if I'm far away from home.

·
American Legion Rider
23,610 Posts
:coffeescreen:
That's quite a bit of stuff. How much space does it all take up?
Except for the duct tape it all lays flat in the bottom of a saddle bag so I don't really even notice. It's in a zippered case about 8x6x2 inches. Duct tape is smashed flat too in case you are wondering. And only a part roll. It just gets stuff where ever.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I go around and match a tool to every nut, bolt and screw I can get to. Then, I make sure to have the tools needed to change the battery. My knife of choice is a Leatherman, so that covers an assortment of blades and a pliers. My phone makes a good enough flashlight. Duct tape. Zipties.

I should add fuses and bulbs. They're part of my truck kit now.

I also need a tire plug and inflator, and to wire a plug in.

As was said, some tools can be stashed easy in any kind of luggage. How much storage and how far from tools you'll be may factor into how much is carried.

Being able to get to the battery saved me from being stuck out after hours in a parking lot. All I had to hunt for was someone with cables to juice my battery a little from their vehicle. Luckily, I found that in short order.

If a phone has a camera, but no flashlight app, try using the video feature of the camera. There's usually an option to run the camera flash (an led bulb) constantly. There are also free flashlight apps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts