Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This mornings ride to eat breakfast the wife and I returned on our favorite local road where we see Elk, wild horses, cattle, bambi and Alvin in the road along our route. Although we did see some Elk and wild horses off the side, what was in the road this morning were several road chickens (aka ravens, crows). Here is one that almost made us 3-up!

Cloud Sky Bird Hood Plant

Here is the slow motion version: Youtube

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For sure, he was (well maybe it was a she, or maybe it was something in between, who knows these days) a bit slow taking flight and I had plenty of time to slow my approach, but it did make us duck!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's amazing what you think about in a split second, as I thought about that. Recently I replaced my windscreen as the original had some deep scratches and as you can see I filmed through it. I was thinking, Oh no, not my new wind screen, of course in the second I thought of that, it had already missed. No doubt it would have been marred at best and cracked or shattered at worse!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a close call with one a couple days ago, too! I must've ducked enough that it cleared my back. :eek:
Glad it missed you, ducking is a good thing when it works! I imagine you would tell your students the same thing I would, slow down. I saw it with plenty of time to slow, which I did. We were rolling along in that section of the road between 70-75, and you can see the top of my speedometer in the still, it reads 51. Still, I had plenty of space to slow or even stop and if it impacted my helmet or wind screen I would be giving myself the lecture, "well that was stupid, did you learn anything?". So, I am going to give myself the lecture anyways because next time it could be a turkey or buzzard. I've never hit a large bird like that, but from reading others that have, it hurts!!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I currently have a GoPro Hero 7 Black mounted to the tank for capture. The NLE I use to produce is Davinci Resolve Studio 18. It was a quick down and dirty render at 25% normal speed.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
10,139 Posts
Driving to town yesterday a big red tail Hawk just missed my windshield! A few years ago, one wasn't so lucky and hit my Grill. We have Turkey Buzzards here as large as a small Cessna and they protect their meal until the last second and will fly right into a rider. We also have thousands of Turkey's in this area and they will fly right across a riders path quite often---probably pissed that we shoot and eat so many of their Friends and Relatives!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Sam🦕

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Driving to town yesterday a big red tail Hawk just missed my windshield! A few years ago, one wasn't so lucky and hit my Grill. We have Turkey Buzzards here as large as a small Cessna and they protect their meal until the last second and will fly right into a rider. We also have thousands of Turkey's in this area and they will fly right across a riders path quite often---probably pissed that we shoot and eat so many of their Friends and Relatives!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Sam🦕
That has been my theory, any of those will ruin a day of riding! :(

·
Premium Member
2018 Kawasaki NINJA 650 ABS KRT
1,332 Posts
Glad it missed you, ducking is a good thing when it works! I imagine you would tell your students the same thing I would, slow down. I saw it with plenty of time to slow, which I did. We were rolling along in that section of the road between 70-75, and you can see the top of my speedometer in the still, it reads 51. Still, I had plenty of space to slow or even stop and if it impacted my helmet or wind screen I would be giving myself the lecture, "well that was stupid, did you learn anything?". So, I am going to give myself the lecture anyways because next time it could be a turkey or buzzard. I've never hit a large bird like that, but from reading others that have, it hurts!!
It actually came out from the left ditch and surprised me. No time or space to anything but duck and hope for the best.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree. No matter how much we train, no matter how much experience we gain, no matter how much wisdom we acquire, no matter how cautious we are, they may be times there isn't a [email protected] thing we can do about. It's a small percentage, but it lurks for all of us. That is the risk factor I attribute to riding. If I do something stupid that causes a crash, that wasn't risk in my opinion, it was me doing something stupid. I've found this to be true in other more lethal endeavors I have been involved with as well. We can beat Murphy most of the time, but there is always that possibility he will up and smack us when there is no time or space to prevent it.

·
Visionary
5,991 Posts
My bird encounter

Reactions: Eagle Six
1 - 20 of 23 Posts