Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a good commuter bike. i like the big bikes and need a good reliable commuter bike to travel 70 miles round trip in heavy traffic. i'll be threading the needle some and traveling at 65mph some.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good suggestion. i've riden Harley Heritage, Fat Boy, Street Glide and the BMW 1150. I liked the Heritage and BMW best. i need to stay at about $7500 with a max price of $10k.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
If I was flogging a bike as a commuter I'd definitely look used. If it is mainly freeway or pretty much straight highway stuff I'd look for an older GoldWing Interstate 1100/1200 with under 50,000 miles. They're extremely stout engines, get up to 50 mpg, and the Interstate without the electronic junk has very little that can go wrong with it. One could possibly be had well under $3000 yet still be in excellent condition.

My other choice if the road is a bit more winding, would be a Kawasaki Concours. Reliable as a rock in general, has side cases and good fairing. Again, early versions can be found under $3000.

Both my suggestions have bags and one a top box. They are proven reliable and can hammer miles. They are the best commuters for the money when it is a "work motorcycle".

Most any bike will do commuting, no problem. You could get a Honda Helix and have a great scooter commuter for that 35 mile run one way. In fact that would be another consideration, due to foot/leg protection from the elements and a back compartment for storage. Even a KLR650 dual sport makes a great commuter, but you have to add a box or bags to make it a bit more user friendly.

From there, it's all up to you as to whether it is mainly a commuting or if commuting is a good excuse to have a bike.

If the latter is true, I have no suggestions because there are too many to consider, as the postings show.

It's like getting a commuter car. If it is for work an older Honda or Toyota is the trick, but if it's an excuse for another vehicle, you might want a Vette, who knows.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the great suggestions. while i won't consider a scooter, i think some of your suggestions are right on the mark. i need to start shopping and test riding now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts