Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When making right hand turns are you supposed to be in the right 1/3 of the lane? To me being in the left 1/3 of the lane puts you in the drivers line of sight, but makes you cross the oil patch for a right turn. How do you make a right hand turn and still be seen by car behind you?

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
Generally, it's better to start a right turn from the left side of the lane. This makes the turn less sharp than starting from the right side of the lane. (This is called the outside-inside-outside path of travel.)

Road and traffic conditions should determine how each individual turn is made, however.

I wouldn't have a problem crossing over a standard amount of oil patch at an intersection. Just be aware it is there and don't do anything crazy with the motorcycle controls while going over it.

If it had just started raining or some other condition made the oil patch or road markings extra slippery, I might change the entry point of the turn a bit to compensate.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
here's my thought ...

first, if you see any oil patch or painted line ... AVOID it during the turn.
dont compromise your tire traction - if at all possible.
Practically, you cant avoid all the painted lines ... you are forced to cross some of them. But cross them quickly ... dont run your front wheel on the paint for extended periods. it can be slippery if the road surface is damp. try not to get "hung up" on what I'm saying here - just always choose paths of travel on the road that give you good traction ... thats all.

in practice, you should ride either slightly to the LEFT or slightly to the RIGHT of the center of your lane. Basically, the same place where the cars have their wheels. the reason for this ... is that if there is a small object lying on the road ahead, and the traffic is dense, you probably wont hit it ... if you ride where the cars' tires are going. you will see the cars serve - if th rivers think they are going to hit something with their tires. that's a tipoff that you will need to do the same thing.

I usually choose the RIGHT side of the lane.
So turning right is no big problem ... pretty easy to swing around that corner.

adjust your riding so you always Maximize your safety.

dT

1 - 3 of 3 Posts