Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am planning a trip from PA to Alaska this (or next) summer. I have Michelin Commander II tires on the front and rear of my 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT. I have a sh*tty driveway - it is steep, uphill to the garage and very muddy when it rains. I love my tires but they don't go at all in mud.

I am looking for tires I can install in Alaska for the Dalton Highway up to Prudhoe Bay and back. Lots of shops to service my bike and change tires in Fairbanks area.

Anywho, my tire sizes are:
f-130/90-16
r-180/70-15

Any suggestions?

3G

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,785 Posts
Look up 'Rollin' He has done several ironbutt, 4 corners and the Dalton. I know he runs an auto tire on the rear and a Dual sport on the front of his Victory. Which specific tires I can't say.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember an old friend said been there couple of times, said its a matter of schedule and weather, the road is not so challenging until it gets very wet.
Isn't that the truth.

I will check out your links. I just need to find a descent highway tire that will make it though the slop if/when the Dalton is messy...which, from what I understand, is all the time...LOL

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Look up 'Rollin' He has done several ironbutt, 4 corners and the Dalton. I know he runs an auto tire on the rear and a Dual sport on the front of his Victory. Which specific tires I can't say.
On that trip I used a 195/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D run flat snow tire on the rear and a Dunlop E3 on the front. The E3 did not do well in the mud.
On my next trip I'm going to use a 130/80-18 Shinko 700 Series dual sport tire on the front.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Isn't that the truth.

I will check out your links. I just need to find a descent highway tire that will make it though the slop if/when the Dalton is messy...which, from what I understand, is all the time...LOL
With water trucks and construction there will be mud even on the dry days.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
On that trip I used a 195/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D run flat snow tire on the rear and a Dunlop E3 on the front. The E3 did not do well in the mud.
On my next trip I'm going to use a 130/80-18 Shinko 700 Series dual sport tire on the front.
What width in the rear wheel on your bike?

As for the rear tire the only Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D I found in 15" is a 195/65r15. Will that work on my wheel that is 4.5x15"?

For the front, thanks for the heads up about the Dunlop E3. I know I haven't had luck with my Commander II on the front in mud.

Did you have to install yourself? I don't know of any mc mechanics that will install an auto tire on a mc wheel. Did you install just before the Dalton Highway or did you ride the highway with the auto tire on the bike? If so, how did the bike handle on the pavement?

3G

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Larger wheels

So, I think it may have to come down to me buying larger diameter wheels because I'm unable to find any dual sport or off road tires for these wheels. :icon_mad:

The bright side:At least I'll have another complete setup if I ever destroy a wheel...

·
American Legion Rider
21,096 Posts
Just remember that will throw your speedometer and odometer off.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about running a rear dual sport tire on my front wheel for the Dalton Highway?

I found a DURO - HF 904 MEDIAN DUAL SPORT REAR TIRE the right size for my front wheel. I figure if its gonna be on a mud/gravel road and not much pavement riding it'll be alright. Any opinions?

3G

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
What about running a rear dual sport tire on my front wheel for the Dalton Highway?

I found a DURO - HF 904 MEDIAN DUAL SPORT REAR TIRE the right size for my front wheel. I figure if its gonna be on a mud/gravel road and not much pavement riding it'll be alright. Any opinions?

3G
My Shinko is a rear tire.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
What width in the rear wheel on your bike?

As for the rear tire the only Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D I found in 15" is a 195/65r15. Will that work on my wheel that is 4.5x15"?

For the front, thanks for the heads up about the Dunlop E3. I know I haven't had luck with my Commander II on the front in mud.

Did you have to install yourself? I don't know of any mc mechanics that will install an auto tire on a mc wheel. Did you install just before the Dalton Highway or did you ride the highway with the auto tire on the bike? If so, how did the bike handle on the pavement?

3G
I used my tires for the full 11,197 mile trip - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827740

Darkside has been done on your bike - https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Kawasaki+Vulcan+900+darkside

The trip with the Shinko - http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24864342#post24864342

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the link. I have never heard the term "dark side" before. As I've stated in my other posts - I'm kinda new to this web forum thing!

That link for the dark side gives me all the convincing I need to put the cage rubber on my rear.

Thanks everyone for the input and keep the opinions/suggestion coming!

3G

:71baldboy:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just an FYI
I had to raise the front fender on my Vision to use the Shinko.

And if you use a rear tire on the front it is recommended that you reverse rotation.
Info on page 4 - http://www.avonmoto.com/download/Tires_101.pdf
GREAT INFO ROLLIN'! I knew there was a splice that affected direction of rotation but I have never been explained the technical reason why it would change from a front tire to a rear!

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
GREAT INFO ROLLIN'! I knew there was a splice that affected direction of rotation but I have never been explained the technical reason why it would change from a front tire to a rear!
You're welcome!
Watch your speed and enjoy the view on the Dalton. Slow will get you home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts