Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no idea where to post this, but I'm guessing it has something to do with my riding position or something, I figured this was the place. If not, my apologies.

I started riding last month, and man am I in love with being on 2 wheels. I have a '08 V-Strom 650 that I feel comfortable on, and my confidence in myself and the bike is increasing quickly. I am 6'3" 250 and sit basically upright on it. I make sure to not death grip it and my arms are not locked. I am working diligently to get my legs and abs to keep me on the bike so that I can continue to loosen my grip.

The last couple of times I've ridden (about 15 minute or so rides across town and back) I have woke up the next day with a pretty sharp pain directed at the tip of my right shoulder blade, and It tightens up when I move my neck and/or shoulder. So my question is, am I just developing a muscle I've never used that much, or is my body position messed up? Could I still be keeping my arm too stiff or my shoulders too stiff? I love riding, and want to ride every day, but this shoulder deal keeps me off the bike for a day or 2 in between rides. Any advice? Maybe some work-out or stretches I can do to help with this?

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,435 Posts
It really is impossible to say what might be causing this, unless you know for a fact that you're having a fit issue with the bike. It does usually boil down to bar position and the type of seat you have, but it could easily be the way you're leaning... It could be anything. I guess it definitely could be doing new things and your body's not used to it.

I will say, going to the gym and working out lifting weights, cardio etc will do a lot for your riding...and daily life in general. When I started really working out, I found I didn't have any of those types of issues anymore. I've let it slide over the last couple years, especially over the Covid break where I couldn't go to the gym, and I'm really feeling it now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Short Fuse
422 Posts
You are new to riding. You are probably using your arms/shoulders to manhandle the bike into turns and when parking. It will get better when you learn more about riding and maneuvering the bike.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Helmet neck.
Ride more, no pain no gain. You could buy a dirt bike and then your whole body will hurt.

How heavy is your helmet, lightweight helmets help a little.
I had 2 identical bikes except the one with bars that were one inch higher hurt my neck less. ymmv.
... pain means you are still alive (y)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Helmet neck.
Ride more, no pain no gain. You could buy a dirt bike and then your whole body will hurt.

How heavy is your helmet, lightweight helmets help a little.
I had 2 identical bikes except the one with bars that were one inch higher hurt my neck less. ymmv.
... pain means you are still alive (y)
I have a bell MX-9 adventure helmet. Not sure how much it weighs, but even without the visor it does seem to catch a lot of wind. I'm looking into bar risers

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
My (street) helmet is 1200 grams. Yours is 1450. Small difference but it makes a difference.
Riding motorcycles is the best exercise I know of for riding motorcycles :cool:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
You're not street riding with a peak on are you? Don't do that, they come off for that purpose.

·
Registered
624 Posts
15 minutes is a pretty short amount of time to aggravate something like that. However, if I ride like 400+ miles in a day my right shoulder is on fire, absolutely destroyed. It should get better. Maybe once you get to like the 1 hour mark it will start to loosen up and feel better.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Throttle could/can effect your body posture when comparing to your left side. Constant tension running up your right arm might cause you to lift or move your right shoulder and head when accelerating or holding a constant speed. Happens to me after a winter hiatus then jump on the bike and put the first 1000k in the first week. Could be a nerve in your back from your riding position as well.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I have a problem with slumping when riding long distance and when I catch myself doing it, I have to make myself sit up properly or I will feel a bit sore later.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,162 Posts
3 hrs is the limit on my lower back unless I take Alive before I start my ride.

·
Super Moderator
198 Posts
Almost the same thing happened to me when I started riding three years ago. Had stiffness and soreness in my neck in the first 1-2 months of riding but it went away on its own. I think it was just my neck getting used to the helmet and the force of the wind. Think about it. Most people don't walk around with a 4 pound object sitting on their head getting hit with 40-60 MPH wind gusts for 2-3 hours do they? Then all of a sudden you do exactly that. It's a prescription for some sort of pain or soreness until your neck, shoulders, back develop the muscles to support that type of force.

I highly recommend getting into some sort of exercise routine if you're a motorcyclist. Riding a motorcycle is a physically and mentally demanding activity so the better shape you're in the easier it will be for your body and the exercise also gives you a sharper mind which helps you make better decisions on the road. A lot of times before I ride my motorcycle I'll go on a 60-90 minute bike ride and it just loosens up my whole body, gets the endorphins flowing, makes me mentally sharp, and just puts me in an overall great mood. I also do a lot of stretching exercises every day...not exactly yoga but close to it. Swimming is a great total body workout, too.

I've read that most pro racers are fitness fanatics (running, cycling, yoga, swimming, weights, etc.) so that's sort of saying something if you ask me. Not that any of us are at that level but the benefits of regular exercise for your riding and life in general can't be overstated. Good luck and hope you get through this okay.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts