Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I'm curious about... I've been riding since I was 15 but had a large gap after a bad wreck almost took my legs, took a lot of baby steps but I've been on motorcycles again for 5 years. I've only recently however actually gotten my motorcycle license and a lot of riders around here that I know of just don't have one.
Did you get a license/learner's permit before you started or did you wing it? If so for how long?

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,262 Posts
I didn't really start street riding until I was about 40 (52 now) and it was super easy to take the MSF class and that class enabled me to get a license. I bought a bike just before I took the class, so I really didn't ride without a license

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Had mine for so long that back then you basically just said you also rode a scooter and that was then just added as a combo license. They didn't have a category M at that point. I guess they added that just so they could charge more money. Personally I think you should have to ride a motorcycle/scooter before you can get a car license. It would make people become more aware of scooters in general then. Of course if you have a physical or mental problem that precludes it would be acceptable. But the more that experience 2 wheels the better as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
2015 BMW K1600GTL & 2008 Harley Davidson Dyna Super Glide Custom
1,262 Posts
Personally I think you should have to ride a motorcycle/scooter before you can get a car license. It would make people become more aware of scooters in general then. Of course if you have a physical or mental problem that precludes it would be acceptable. But the more that experience 2 wheels the better as far as I'm concerned.
I've said this for a long time. I truly believe I'm a better driver and more aware because I ride.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm not sure how many years I rode without a motorcycle license or endorsement, there was no such thing back when I started!

·
Nightfly
4,240 Posts
I'm the same as Larry, hogcowboy. Never had a test to pass in the beginning, just told them at the DMV we rode motorcycle and just like that, you had an mc license. There is one thing I do not do and that is have my bike inspected. I never do that. Even when I take the bike to the Harley dealer for something I can't do they always ask if I would like the bike inspected and I always tell them no. Never even got a sideways look from a cop. Never been a problem. But that's me, I'm not recommending it for anyone else. My bike is in perfect operating condition all the time. I don't ride hundreds of miles a day. Everything is brand new, i just look at inspection as another tax I don't need to pay...

·
Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 1000 SE LT+
91 Posts
Started riding in Minnesota in 1962 - when you were 15, you took a written test and got a permit to ride, but solo only - no passengers. It was good for 3 years, if I recall correctly, and could be renewed forever (again, memory may be fuzzy). The written test was so simple you'd have to be brain damaged to fail it. After the age of 16, you could take a road test and get a motorcycle endorsement.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,172 Posts
I know a lot of young folks that have been riding for years without a license. I don't know how they do it. All the fuzz in this state has to do is run your plate to find out the registered owner doesn't have an endorsement. Easy impounding, easier ticket.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know a lot of young folks that have been riding for years without a license. I don't know how they do it. All the fuzz in this state has to do is run your plate to find out the registered owner doesn't have an endorsement. Easy impounding, easier ticket.
I believe a lot of cops are just more hesitant to pull over motorcyclist.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything is brand new, i just look at inspection as another tax I don't need to pay...
A lot of states don't even require an inspection sticker, the ones I know of that do require a current inspection sticker require one to get a registration renewal though. Is that not the case where you're from?

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
There is one thing I do not do and that is have my bike inspected.
They changed things here so you are forced to get inspected or you don’t get your new tags or sticker. For years I would ignore it as well. Now you risk getting your vehicle impounded and heavy fines. Yet there are still dangerous cars and trucks on the roads. That’s the part that irritates me the most. And they can’t say they don’t have the funds. DPS was raking in the money for conceal permits. So they could enforce the inspection even more. They just have a computer helping them now.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,844 Posts
When I started riding (64) there wasn't such a thing as a motorcycle license. In the late 70's the Navy (probably all the military) decided you had to have the base motorcycle safety course to ride on base. Week long class, 8 hours a day for a week. Included classroom and a lot of slow speed riding on your own motorcycle.

Push ahead 20+ years, I had quit riding and dropped my endorsement. In 2013 I retired and started riding again after taking the state course.

·
Premium Member
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
865 Posts
I can't believe Texas went the way of the inspection states. I wonder if this had more to do with illegals than an actual vehicle inspection.

I'm pretty sure you could get by indefinitely in Kansas without a class M license, unless you continually got stopped by the same officer over the course of two years.

You can buy and legally ride a motorcycle hear without getting a license for a year. But there's no tracking when that year started.

·
Nightfly
4,240 Posts
A lot of states don't even require an inspection sticker, the ones I know of that do require a current inspection sticker require one to get a registration renewal though. Is that not the case where you're from?
Yes here in Pennsylvania we have to renew our registration every year. Inspection has nothing to do with registration except to get your bike inspected you have to have current registration. And the big old inspection sticker is usually slapped on the front forks and looks terrible. A lot of guys will make a plate and put the sticker on it and place the plate on an out of the way place. Still sucks. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I may get caught one day but until then.....c'est la vie.

·
Moderator - Like a crazy cat lady but with bikes!
1,172 Posts
I believe a lot of cops are just more hesitant to pull over motorcyclist.
Definitely not local law enforcement. Memorial Day weekend? They impounded no less than 50 motorcycles for various infractions from exhausts being too loud, no endorsements, no insurance, LED lights that were special colors, etc. And they had a lot of nice cars in the impound, too. Stuff that's often a "fix it ticket" earns hefty fines there..

This town's so small you can travel its entire length in like 5 minutes at 40 mph.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Definitely not local law enforcement. Memorial Day weekend? They impounded no less than 50 motorcycles for various infractions from exhausts being too loud, no endorsements, no insurance, LED lights that were special colors, etc. And they had a lot of nice cars in the impound, too. Stuff that's often a "fix it ticket" earns hefty fines there..

This town's so small you can travel its entire length in like 5 minutes at 40 mph.
Must has been a good payday! I grew up in a small town like that and it was the opposite, you really had to mess up to get pulled over, we also only had one cop though.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes here in Pennsylvania we have to renew our registration every year. Inspection has nothing to do with registration except to get your bike inspected you have to have current registration. And the big old inspection sticker is usually slapped on the front forks and looks terrible. A lot of guys will make a plate and put the sticker on it and place the plate on an out of the way place. Still sucks. I'll keep doing what I'm doing. I may get caught one day but until then.....c'est la vie.
I mean... realistically even if you do get caught you've saved so much more money by not doing it than you'll be fined IF you get fined.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Personally I think you should have to ride a motorcycle/scooter before you can get a car license. It would make people become more aware of scooters in general then. Of course if you have a physical or mental problem that precludes it would be acceptable. But the more that experience 2 wheels the better as far as I'm concerned.
Umm, how am I going to text and smoke while eating my ice cream cone? Seriously, saw a woman with a van full of kids doing that on the road the other day! I do love that idea, though!

I've said this for a long time. I truly believe I'm a better driver and more aware because I ride.
Yes! I "think" I was a pretty aware driver before I started riding BUT the things I notice now is ridiculous... sometimes too much (see above)! 😆

There is one thing I do not do and that is have my bike inspected. I never do that... My bike is in perfect operating condition all the time. I don't ride hundreds of miles a day. Everything is brand new, i just look at inspection as another tax I don't need to pay...
Same here! The last ticket I got, I thought for sure the cop would cite me for it but I think he was so pissed off at 1) how fast he knew I was going, and 2) that he didn't have his radar on and couldn't cite me for a specific speed, that he never noticed I didn't have an inspection sticker. F the Man! 😈😆

·
Visionary
3,654 Posts
Yeah, the whole inspection thing in PA is often ignored, guilty too here, probably I save enough each year to pay the fine if I get caught anyway. I got pulled over in NJ one morning, the cop didn't even look to see if the bike was inspected and I was only 1/2 mile from the border so I'm sure he know's how it works on the left side of the river.

·
Visionary
3,654 Posts

YIKES, I think I better stay out of your town with my un-inspected bikes covered in blue and red LEDs. At least I have a class M license!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts