Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've been riding for 4.5 months and always thought you had to work clutch/throttle/friction zone.
Moto Gymkhana says no clutch! Huh? It looks like they're pretty nimble with this approach. I'd l ove some input if anyone cares to offer.
I'm a newish rider, I practice and I want to use the best techniques. Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
That no clutch is a great idea. You might also want to go with the Flat Track idea on brakes. Take em off. Then you wont need a clutch or brakes. To heck with the clutch and use the throttle to get into a corner and out of a corner. Both should work well together if you never plan on stopping...ever. Moto Gymkhata Flat Track Endurance riding.

(Note: I didn't watch the entire video)

·
Registered
923 Posts
I've been riding for 4.5 months and always thought you had to work clutch/throttle/friction zone.
Moto Gymkhana says no clutch! Huh? It looks like they're pretty nimble with this approach. I'd l ove some input if anyone cares to offer.
I'm a newish rider, I practice and I want to use the best techniques. Thanks.
Remember the MSF course is designed to teach the basics to completely new riders. Just like you aren't going to learn the Swedish Flick in driver's ed., the course instructors have to make sure you learn the bare minimum to get on the road and so teach the quickest way possible to get you proficient.

Gymkhana techniques are great for low speed maneuverability! I'm going to give that series a watch and see if I can utilize it myself!

·
Registered
603 Posts
From what I have heard and seen, those that develop the skill for GymKhana have dumped their bike multiple times as they improve their skills. Nothing wrong with that if that is what they want to do and accomplish.

We have a steering head, suspension, body weight, throttle, clutch and brake that we can use to accomplish tight parking lot maneuvers (actually almost any maneuvers). We can use them all or just some. Some riders think if you put both feet down to walk the bike in a locked turn that the rider is a sissy. Some think if you put an inside foot out and/or down you are a sissy. Some think if you make it a slow turn you are a sissy. I think if you make a tight turn safely, how fast you do it, or what you do with your feet doesn't matter. What counts is the turn is safe. On the other hand I am impressed with any rider that will spend hours and hours, often self-training (practice) to improve their turning and braking skills, and I'm especially impressed with riders that repeatedly seek out professional advanced training (that beyond the MSF).

So, what I think about tight turns with no clutch? I prefer to train using all the options in the best order and combination for the purpose at hand.

·
On The Road Again!
3,270 Posts
The more u ride, the better u get, on any bike.
Just ride.
Yep, I'm with you on this. Go out every day and ride a bit, even if
it's only a short ride around the area. If you only ride one day a
week, it will take a lot longer for you to "get it". You can forget
what you learned if you wait too long between rides.

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
My torque monster Indian is one that can go slow, very slow. This beast can even take off in third gear if needed. Yes, I've day dreamed a few times and found this out by mistake.:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts