Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from south carolina and i'm planning on going to college in colorado starting in the spring semester. I've never been to colorado or taken any long road trips, but I really want to drive up on a motorcycle. I feel like that would be the perfect way to start off my adventure.

however, i'm not sure if that is possible. the spring semester would start in january, so i'd have to drive up there in december. I couldn't find out much info about weather and road conditions for colorado online. I am hoping that the big interstates and highways will be suitable for cycling. but, i'm afraid i'll head out and get stopped by snow or icy roads.

So my question is: what are the road conditions like in colorado during the month of december? would it be possible to make this trip on a motorcycle?

thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Go to weather.com and if you know the zip type it in and there is a place that will tell you avg. his and lows. I am not sure but i am willing to bet that Dec. will not be good for bike riding.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
In the areas where there is lots of snow during winter, they have lots of equipment to move it. But, even though the roads might be clear, you have to worry about the cold. I just came back from there yesterday, and it got up to 90 degrees during the day. BUT, it was down to 40 in the morning. On our bikes at that temperature, it wasn't very pleasant. So, bring that down below freezing, and it would have been downright miserable! I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to ride there in December.

·
Registered
295 Posts
In the areas where there is lots of snow during winter, they have lots of equipment to move it. But, even though the roads might be clear, you have to worry about the cold. I just came back from there yesterday, and it got up to 90 degrees during the day. BUT, it was down to 40 in the morning. On our bikes at that temperature, it wasn't very pleasant. So, bring that down below freezing, and it would have been downright miserable! I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to ride there in December.

Dang flat landers..........lol. If the roads don`t have ice on them then the cold can be dealt with. Have ridden in as low as 28 degrees with the right gear.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am from south carolina and i'm planning on going to college in colorado starting in the spring semester. I've never been to colorado or taken any long road trips, but I really want to drive up on a motorcycle. I feel like that would be the perfect way to start off my adventure.

however, i'm not sure if that is possible. the spring semester would start in january, so i'd have to drive up there in december. I couldn't find out much info about weather and road conditions for colorado online. I am hoping that the big interstates and highways will be suitable for cycling. but, i'm afraid i'll head out and get stopped by snow or icy roads.

So my question is: what are the road conditions like in colorado during the month of december? would it be possible to make this trip on a motorcycle?

thanks!
Depends on what part of the state you are in as to conditions. Along the front range isn`t to bad but can have blowing snow and high winds. Mountains can have changes in less than an hour.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang flat landers..........lol. If the roads don`t have ice on them then the cold can be dealt with. Have ridden in as low as 28 degrees with the right gear.
word Strider! that's what i like to hear. i can deal with the cold, i was mainly worried about ice. I think i'll come up on I-25 through new mexico. hopefully i can avoid any ice.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Dang it, Strider, I might have known it would be you! :) I've ridden in 26-degree weather, too, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! It was the pits!!!!

Had a good time in Colorado this week, and it was a pleasure meeting you and the wife. When you come our way, let me know!

Tom

·
Registered
295 Posts
word Strider! that's what i like to hear. i can deal with the cold, i was mainly worried about ice. I think i'll come up on I-25 through new mexico. hopefully i can avoid any ice.
Be very careful on Raton pass if you are coming from the South. Raton can ice up within 10 miles from sunshine. Colorado City area is another that can change from mile to mile. From Walsenburg to Colorado City can have extreamly high winds. Pueblo to Denver is usually not bad but be very careful on Monument Pass.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Dang it, Strider, I might have known it would be you! :) I've ridden in 26-degree weather, too, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone! It was the pits!!!!

Had a good time in Colorado this week, and it was a pleasure meeting you and the wife. When you come our way, let me know!

Tom
Tom the pleasure was all mine. It was great to finally say hi face to face and hope i didn`t scare you and cofats to much. If the wife and i get out your way we will be sure to stop and say "howdy". Hope you liked the back yard of my house........the rocky mountains.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ghia, it's all a matter of luck (weather) and toughness. I've ridden in weather well below 20 and I've been so cold that I fell when I got off the bike because my legs wouldn't work.

First off, the cold. the three areas that will hurt the most are your kneecaps, your fingers and your toes. The kneecaps are by far the worst. The wind hits your kneecaps at a direct 90 degrees and once they get frozen they don't warm up easy (hand dryers in the rest areas are your friend). One trick is to take a pair of kneepads such as a wrestler or a flloor installer would wear and put them on under your outer layer. If you don't have these then take something like leather gloves and duct tape them to your knees.

Second is the fingers, wear two pairs of gloves, the bottom pair should be something like fleece for warmth and the top pair l(larger) of some thick windproof material. A throttle lock helps so that you can occasionally move those fingers which helps a lot. The top layer gloves should be long enough and wide enough to sit outside your sleeve cuffs.

Third is yer feet, a good warm pair of boots is the best you can do and when you're so cold that you start putting your feet on the exhaust pipes remember that your boots will burn, especially the rubber soles

Clothes, layer, layer, layer, warmth on the bottom, windproof on the outside. A high neck is great and sleeve closures will help. Snow skiing gear is best if you have it.

Weather The state troopers are your best friends and as hard as it is to say they will protect you when things go bad. When in doubt ask a trooper at a rest area, they know the area and have access to weather conditions. When it goes below freezing they may tell you to lay up or they might say go around. By go around I mean stay out of the mountains especially at night if conditions are touch and go. The higher you go the colder it is, drop down out of the mountains and it gets 20 degrees warmer. Other than that, do NOT get wet unless you have Gore-tex or something waterproof on the outside. Snow is no biggie if the road is dry, do not ride on the snow unless you have no choice, it is extremely hard to stop. But if the roads are damp and the weather is getting close to freezing shut it down because the bridges will freeze.

All and all, use common sense and you'll have a ride that you'll appreciate for years to come. It's hell when it's going down, but the satisfaction when you're done is well worth it.

Be careful and stay safe
MeCasa

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow guys! you have seriously been a big help. I have been doing a little research into cold weather riding and it sounds like this is gonna be a great trip. A real adventure! I am planning on picking up a heated vest.

Thank you, Strider for the tips and you too Mecasa. I'll keep your advice in mind while I'm on the road and i'm sure it will be useful.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Get the heated vest AND heated gloves. Do youself a favor and spring for a dual controller so you can adjust each independently, otherwise you may find the vest too hot and the gloves too cold. Carry spare fuses. Be sensible about avoiding ice, it will take you down. Snow is to be avoided, but if the roads are dry you'll be fine. Pack a good down jacket - it will compress in your luggage, and may save your life if you break down, run out of gas, or lose power for some reason. Find something warm to cover your neck that helps keep the cold air from seeping up into your helmet. Take frequent breaks to warm up and stay hydrated. Hypothermia and dehydration can sneak up on you and steal your focus and concentration. It's easier to stay warm with frequent breaks than try to warm back up once you're chilled. Your outerwear will make or break you, get the best you can afford. Good long underwear that is comfortable to ride in should be on your list. Budget extra time as the days will be shorter and you may have to wait it out if conditions get too nasty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had to ride in the snow when I put my bike up for the season, low 20's is the coldest I've ridden so far.

·
Registered
45 Posts
December, January, February.....don't do it.............I was stationed in Colorado Springs at Ft Carson....believe me, you'll frigin freeze...I promice, don't do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts