Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most men can live in one place, but some cannot..... I'm one who cannot, but I do..... because I love one who can. But she loves to fly away with me, over the nap of the earth, on our Great White GoldWing. We go out for me, and we come back for her. It's called compromise; it's called a true Glasserian Conflict (see below); and it's called love.

Speed is my narcotic, my balm, my warm scented oil...... with the throttle pegged, and the front wheel spinning, flying, carrying me faster and further than I am designed to go, I escape, for a moment, the consciousness of my weakness and fragility, my vulnerability, my temporariness...... For a shining, speeding moment, I forget my death. I forget my mortality. I forget my insignificance. By confronting death with my absurd helmet, my gloves, my throttle -- I vanquish it. But only for a shining, speeding moment.... Only for a shining, speeding moment.... And that's what our lives amount to, really, in the Grand Scheme...... a shining, speeding moment.

Some days I'd like to take a very light motorcycle, perhaps even a scooter or a motor bike, tie on a very light sleeping bag and climber's tent.....and then just go out and see how far around the world I could get! But then... then.... I take another look at my lovely wife, and say to myself: "What's the matter, fool? Are you nuts? Already you are more fortunate than 99% of the world's population! Just lay back chilly and enjoy, you old fool, ....lay back and enjoy!"

In the western world, boredom is the greatest threat to an old man's happiness, and usually it's self-inflicted.....

But not always, sometimes it's spawned by advancing age. At seventy years plus and still suffering from the non-healed wounds he received during the Civil War, Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, the Hero of Little Roundtop, tried to get back into the Army for the Spanish American War, and was heartily ticked off when refused.... Why? Bored, I think, just bored.... The more intense your life, the harder it is to see it ebbing away....

(Glasserian True Conflict: loving, valuing, wanting two things at once that conflict, in this case.... freedom and Red)

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I'm glad I only read part of this.
Sometimes, when my back is aching and my hips are sore..........when my stomach is queasy and my head is pounding from a sinus headache that I got from snoring during the night, that the Tylenol that I took isn't helping...........I wonder why I ride.

But then again..........after about 3 minutes......I remember...........

I LOVE it!

-Soupy

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just enjoying the sights, sounds, smells and being where I am at the moment. Ridding is addictive, I love it also.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was red in my avatar, but in 2008 we put that one up against a deer in Michigan.... and put ourselves in the hospital for five days. They have good hospitals in Michigan. Our Wing now is an 1800, and white....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy mackerel! Dude, there is some king of ugly vehicle following right behind you, and it is CLOSE!

:biggrin:
Lol, that's our lovely traveling home, a 2007 ASPEN Sentry camper.....
We've toured for twenty-four years, most of it in a tent.....but I'm on the wrong side of seventy, and them damn tents got smaller and smaller, and the floors harder and harder! She may be ugly, but our M/C camper's gonna keep us in the game for 5-10 years....maybe.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Please don't tell us that that's a car tire on the back of that Wing!
Okay, I won't tell you....but it is! I'm a "darksider!" Quite a few of us old Wing farts are...... Got nine thousand miles on the tire, and the picture above was taken in the Dragon, US 129, North Carolina/Tennessee...... handled quite well, she did! The big Wing is notoriously hard on M/C tires, sometimes as little as 5000 miles; those of us who ride C/T on the back are getting 25-30K, and the bike feels better....

Oh, and don't bother arguing with me about it, total waste of time! I'm a Vietnam Veteran who's been married twice, and nothing scares me anymore!

:):):):)

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,867 Posts
interesting anyway .. Know several Dark Siders that will never change .. Not just on Goldwings either .. I do my share of Road Trips but North FL will always be home ..

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Most men can live in one place, but some cannot..... I'm one who cannot, but I do..... because I love one who can. But she loves to fly away with me, over the nap of the earth, on our Great White GoldWing. We go out for me, and we come back for her. It's called compromise; it's called a true Glasserian Conflict (see below); and it's called love.

Speed is my narcotic, my balm, my warm scented oil...... with the throttle pegged, and the front wheel spinning, flying, carrying me faster and further than I am designed to go, I escape, for a moment, the consciousness of my weakness and fragility, my vulnerability, my temporariness...... For a shining, speeding moment, I forget my death. I forget my mortality. I forget my insignificance. By confronting death with my absurd helmet, my gloves, my throttle -- I vanquish it. But only for a shining, speeding moment.... Only for a shining, speeding moment.... And that's what our lives amount to, really, in the Grand Scheme...... a shining, speeding moment.

Some days I'd like to take a very light motorcycle, perhaps even a scooter or a motor bike, tie on a very light sleeping bag and climber's tent.....and then just go out and see how far around the world I could get! But then... then.... I take another look at my lovely wife, and say to myself: "What's the matter, fool? Are you nuts? Already you are more fortunate than 99% of the world's population! Just lay back chilly and enjoy, you old fool, ....lay back and enjoy!"

In the western world, boredom is the greatest threat to an old man's happiness, and usually it's self-inflicted.....

But not always, sometimes it's spawned by advancing age. At seventy years plus and still suffering from the non-healed wounds he received during the Civil War, Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain, the Hero of Little Roundtop, tried to get back into the Army for the Spanish American War, and was heartily ticked off when refused.... Why? Bored, I think, just bored.... The more intense your life, the harder it is to see it ebbing away....

(Glasserian True Conflict: loving, valuing, wanting two things at once that conflict, in this case.... freedom and Red)
For me it has nothing to do with speed. I enjoy getting out and touching the world around me. I simply cannot do that in my cage, so I ride whenever I can. For me it is a love that surpasses all others, don't tell my wife but that is true. I can't just ride aimlessly so a destination is important but it is the journey, not the destination, that defines a ride.

·
Gone.
17,871 Posts
For me it has nothing to do with speed. I enjoy getting out and touching the world around me. I simply cannot do that in my cage, so I ride whenever I can. For me it is a love that surpasses all others, don't tell my wife but that is true. I can't just ride aimlessly so a destination is important but it is the journey, not the destination, that defines a ride.
That's a big part of it for me too, Oldman.

(But I can ride aimlessly sometimes. I call it exploring.)

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Most of us (I imagine) ride for a variety of reason, but most of all because it is just plain fun. When it stops being fun, which for me can mean when it is too cold or too hot, then I don't ride. And as I get older, where the physical demands of riding are a bit greater than they used to be, riding seems to at least partially erase the years. Or at least I don't think about the added years while I am riding. My mind clears, I focus on the ride, and when things are just right I find myself thinking "life really doesn't get much better than this!".

·
Registered
699 Posts
That's a big part of it for me too, Oldman.

(But I can ride aimlessly sometimes. I call it exploring.)
That is me as well. I did some aimless riding/exploring on Sunday, and it was one of the best rides I have had this year. Oh look, there is a road I haven't been down....ride ride ride.....oh look, it came out on another road I have not been down....ride ride ride.......... Rinse and Repeat!! :71baldboy:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
One of the reasons I love riding my bike is because of the delicate way you control a bike, the merest pressure on the grip has a decided result on the bike's lean and its ability to go around a corner. Sometimes I'll do the happy bikers weave just for the joy of being alive and riding a bike.

There's other factors too, wind in your hair (if you have hair and don't have to wear a helmet), finding a new road to ride, riding that old familiar road with the corners you love, feeling your partner on the back of the bike squeeze your hips with her knees just for the fun of being on a bike, being able to approach a complete stranger and ask about their bike and striking up a conversation, watching little kids point out the motorbike to their parents, just being at one with the bike.

And just hitting a curve right, ease off the throttle a little, maybe a touch of brake, turn in, leaning, going through the apex and accelerating out of the curve - doesn't have to be a tight hairpin it can be any corner that you think as you come out of it, "That was right, I did that well."

But then we all know why we ride, that feeling of being alive.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts