Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions or experiences on handling fresh oil? I live in Chicagoland and there is road construction everywhere. I know to plan ahead and avoid it but recently I got stuck on a road that was ground up and covered with fresh oil for about a half of mile. I kept it in 2 gear and put on my flashers and moved to the right with the cagers all over me ticked off. I made it through but the bike was really unstable. fZ6 with 1000 miles experience.

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Avoid making any sudden changes in speed or direction and just take it easy in general. Don't ride beyond your comfort level.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Any suggestions or experiences on handling fresh oil?
Have you looked closely at the lower part of your bike since you were on that road ?? You might be in for a shock.

MY advice is: Pull over, stop and turn around.......if the oil is really fresh and sticky and doesn't have a good rock cover yet. If you have a radiator behind the front wheel, it can even clog up the radiator with tar......and it's **** near impossible to get out using "normal" proceedures.

I learned the hard way, having ruined boots, pants and a shirt or two.....not to mention MANY hours of getting the tar off a bike or two. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I did check it and I have some oil on the frame. Got to it quick enough so it's not so bad. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
14,680 Posts
Be lucky its not just plain gravel that they dumped on the road, the most scared I have ever been in my life was when txdot laid about 2 inch of gravel with nothing to hold it together on a big downhill with a mean left hand turn, thought for sure I was going to go down. Haven't been to Lime creek road since then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts