Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does anybody think it's a bad idea to ride without an endorsement. And if you do it, how do you keep from getting pulled over/caught and if your against it, why?
Yes.

Don't ride without an endorsement.

I am against riding without an endorsement because chances are good your buddy Jimbo didn't actually teach you that well, and if you choose to go upon my public roadways, you are putting me and my loved ones at risk. I had a barrier to entry, they had a barrier to entry, you're not special.

·
Ace Tuner
3,741 Posts
Does anybody think it's a bad idea to ride without an endorsement. And if you do it, how do you keep from getting pulled over/caught and if your against it, why?
I used to know a guy that got so many tickets that he lost his licenses.
His logic? He'll just outrun the police when they try to pull him over. Like I said, I used to know him.
He's not living anymore. :crying:
Any Questions?

·
Premium Member
10,050 Posts
I would think you need to produce a license to get the bike registered and insured. Or are you intending to ride without proper registration and no liability insurance?
You will get stopped, because you will look and act guilty.
As already asked, is there a reason why you posed the question?

UK

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I have an endorsement, it's the law. I cannot insure my bike without it. If I get pulled over without it, chances are the officer will disregard everything I say because I didn't even care enough to go through the proper protocols to ride legally. Lastly, if you take the cotton out of your ears and stick it in your mouth, you learn a lot at the safety class.

·
Ghost in the machine
2,857 Posts
Without a license you probably won't get insurance.
Without insurance you probably can't register it.

So When you get pulled over with no license, no insurance, and no registration, your bike will be impounded. Problem solved! ;)
But while you're walking home with a pocket full of tickets, keep your helmet on. It will preserve those last few brain cells.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool thank you all for your input, I just had a stupid question and thank you all for letting me know it was a stupid question. FYI, I have all the right paperwork to be on the road I was just wondering stupid what if's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This was a big problem in Hawaii.
The Harley-Davidson crowd, being real macho-men that didn't need no stinkin' license to ride had many chopper riders which were unlicensed.

How they accomplished this was this way, they'd buy a Harley and have another licensed Harley owner register and insure it but they would put up the money for registration and the insurance.
Then, if they got stopped, the excuse was "just taking a ride with my friend's bike, officer"
Usually got a warning and get told to get off the bike or ride it home.

However, the Police began to notice the same guy's names popping up for unlicensed riding of a motorcycle.
Solution? if they caught a guy unlicensed guy riding a Harley registered to someone else with the insurance in someone else's name, they would immediately impound the bike and ticket the rider.

It would cost the registered(?) owner anywhere from $300 to $500 to get they bike out of the impound yard.
Guys are still taking the chances and doing this yet.
Had a Harley guy in my MSF class, been riding for 20 years with no license.
He had a hard time in class unable to do the weave, low speed turns and when he fell with the bike in the "box", he quit and walked out of the class cussing and cursing the class.
I wonder if he's still out there riding with no license.

·
Aging & Worn
4,547 Posts
Although it may be true that in years past, things were not as rigid, the rules that exist now, are the Law.

Just jump theough the hoops required, like the rest of us, and that’s it. There’s nothing unreasonable about the current Regulations/Requirements.

I’m an old “anti-establishment” sixties hippie, and even “I” have surrendered to “the man.” Why? Because he’s bigger than me (and you).

Nuff said!

·
Moderator - Loves All Motorcycles
1,251 Posts
My girlfriend rode for a few years without an endorsement during her "rebel years" and not only never got a ticket but was also never stopped.

I have a friend who has a knack for scooters. He daily rides a 49cc scoot that has plates that expired in 2009. He only just recently got the registration current. Again, no issues from the police.

I rode my Buell for one night without an endorsement (but with the MSF card on hand) and I got it impounded. Cost me $700 to spring it out. It was a hard lesson to learn: Do things right the first time and good things come to those who have patience.

(You can register and insure a bike to a rider without an endorsement in this state, but when the officer pulls your plate it'll say the registered owner doesn't have an endorsement.)

How people get away with this stuff is beyond me. I'm caught the second I break any law that would cost me a big chunk of change. lol

Reactions: FlipFlop and BWB75

·
American Legion Rider
26,368 Posts
My girlfriend rode for a few years without an endorsement during her "rebel years" and not only never got a ticket but was also never stopped.

I have a friend who has a knack for scooters. He daily rides a 49cc scoot that has plates that expired in 2009. He only just recently got the registration current. Again, no issues from the police.

I rode my Buell for one night without an endorsement (but with the MSF card on hand) and I got it impounded. Cost me $700 to spring it out. It was a hard lesson to learn: Do things right the first time and good things come to those who have patience.

(You can register and insure a bike to a rider without an endorsement in this state, but when the officer pulls your plate it'll say the registered owner doesn't have an endorsement.)

How people get away with this stuff is beyond me. I'm caught the second I break any law that would cost me a big chunk of change. lol
It's easy. If you just don't give a dang you can get away with murder.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is just crazy to me, I knew a guy that road with no insurance, no license or endorsement for that matter, expired tags and he was always driving extreamly fast and never got caught. How is that posible, no idea..

·
Registered
194 Posts
This was a big problem in Hawaii.
The Harley-Davidson crowd, being real macho-men that didn't need no stinkin' license to ride had many chopper riders which were unlicensed.

How they accomplished this was this way, they'd buy a Harley and have another licensed Harley owner register and insure it but they would put up the money for registration and the insurance.
Then, if they got stopped, the excuse was "just taking a ride with my friend's bike, officer"
Usually got a warning and get told to get off the bike or ride it home.

However, the Police began to notice the same guy's names popping up for unlicensed riding of a motorcycle.
Solution? if they caught a guy unlicensed guy riding a Harley registered to someone else with the insurance in someone else's name, they would immediately impound the bike and ticket the rider.

It would cost the registered(?) owner anywhere from $300 to $500 to get they bike out of the impound yard.
Guys are still taking the chances and doing this yet.
Got it. I guess taking the class or the test is just too much trouble for some.

Had a Harley guy in my MSF class, been riding for 20 years with no license.
He had a hard time in class unable to do the weave, low speed turns and when he fell with the bike in the "box", he quit and walked out of the class cussing and cursing the class.
I wonder if he's still out there riding with no license.
Now I know that you're lying! This doesn't happen. [/sarcasm] At least not according to one member who thinks that having ridden for a long time gives one "experience" and competence in low speed maneuvers. Falling wasn't the fault of this rider in your class. It was those "silly" and "stupid" cones that were responsible.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts