Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I find the British magazine Bike is the best all around magazine even though I don't understand all their slang terms. It has a good combination of adventure rides, interviews and bike reviews. It's a little pricy, but worth it.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
"Rider" is alive and well, one of the few magazines that remains being published. It covers new bikes, equipment, safety and always features "favorite rides" in different parts of the country. Its been my favorite magazine for decades. "RoadRUNNER" , which I do not subscribe to at this time, is almost totally devoted to rides as opposed to the bikes themselves. As to the British mag "Bike", it seems more focused on sport bikes than on anything else, but has the problems of showing costs that are irrelevant to an American rider, and often is discussing models and products that we do not even have access to here in the States. But it is a nicely written mag with good photos.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I got RoadRunner for awhile but got tired of seeing pictures of what everybody was eating for lunch. Bike magazine doesn't concentrate on sport bikes anymore......it's all adventure bikes now, and converting their prices to dollars makes one glad to live in the good old USA.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I find I am no more interested in "adventure" bikes than I am sport bikes. My favorite magazine was Motorcycle Consumer News, which, alas, is no more. For me, "Rider" is the best thing still around. I also subscribe to "Cycle World" which is now a quarterly magazine and worth getting just for the classy photographs and layout. Its almost like a good "coffee table" book to keep around. I get the Gold Wing magazine as well, but I almost never find anything in it worthwhile even though I ride a Goldwing.

Reactions: Doc Samson

·
Registered
172 Posts
I swear Cycle World died a couple of years ago, but I just got a renewal notice for it, and actually received an issue. I don't remember getting any last year.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I read through the latest issue in 30 minutes. Nice photos though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
The best all around motorcycle magazine I ever read was called "2 Wheels Down." Bought it for years. Then they changed the name to "Visordown" & it disappeared from my local bookstore, never to be seen again. They have a website but the content is a fraction of the magazine.

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
Never even heard of that one.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I only saw it at Barnes & Noble. It was from the U.K. Good product reviews, very detailed & objective road tests, road trip stories & a hilarious sense of humor with goofy pics & things they said. It was the only magazine I read cover to cover.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
Might just be what they are currently profiling but it looked like they were sport bike only oriented.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
My favorite magazine was Motorcycle Consumer News, which, alas, is no more.
I know a magazine is good when they have me reading about bikes I have no interest in ever riding. MCN was also a great source for ALL things riding, from equipment/bike/specific route reviews to physical and psychological aspects that really made the reader think. It truly is a shame they are gone...

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
There was a time that I subscribed to about eight different magazines. Subscription costs were so low that I could not resist, even getting "Sport Bike" and "American Iron" every month in the mail. During the winter months when I was not able to ride I could look forward to a magazine in my mailbox every few days. But as I got older, and lost interest in reading about things that had no relevance to me like the latest super powerful sport bikes that are made for people with bodies that can bend like a pretzel, or "adventure" rides in places I would never, ever consider going to (like North Korea or Zimbabwe). But today, with so many mags out of business adding to the dearth of winter reading material, I just have to accept the "new normal". And while I don't mind reading online, I will miss the feel of a real magazine in my hands when the last ones bite the dust.

·
American Legion Rider
26,080 Posts
The throne room just won’t be the same though vito. ???

·
Registered
2021 CanAm Spyder RT
3,938 Posts
I keep my Ipad in the throne room, so that I can comment on the forums while I do my meditating.

·
On The Road Again!
4,221 Posts
So THAT'S why you leave such crappy comments, Vito!
(Sorry, I couldn't resist.) LOL!!

·
Zip
2,528 Posts
Way back in my first go-round with motorcycles I subscribed to Rider magazine. So when this thread about magazines showed up it prompted me to check their website. I signed up for a free account. Apparently that got me a free subscription, because I just received an email that the April edition is ready for viewing. I downloaded it and low and behold, a full 76-page PDF file is now mine to peruse at my leisure. And to my surprise Mark Tuttle is still the Editor-in-Chief. That kind of longevity in the publishing business is extremely rare.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.