Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting the wind in your face is fun. Getting pushed around the road by the wind is not always so much fun. I never usually let wind bother me, but yesterday was a bit different. Despite being under a "Wind Advisory", and seeing the trees in my neighborhood really swaying back and forth, I decided to take a late afternoon ride. It had been a beautifully warm day and we had three of our kids, with their kids visiting for the afternoon and leaving the family for a ride was not anything I wanted to do. But now it was late in the afternoon and everyone had left, so I thought I would go for a short ride. Usually the Goldwing, with its 900 plus pounds, doesn't get overly affected by the wind. But yesterday I was hit by some gusts which literally pushed me almost off the road. Slowing down helped, but fighting the wind took away any joy I might have had on this ride. Later I found out that we had 60 mph gusts on and off during the time I was riding, and even with the Goldwing that was just too much. Less than 30 minutes into the ride I was back in the garage. Ending up in the ditch alongside the road or in the lane of oncoming traffic was not something I wanted to happen so ending the ride seemed the best course of action. Live to ride another day.

·
American Legion Rider & sub-Administrator
24,212 Posts
Try riding 300 miles in one our Texas dust storms. You get a real workout.

Reactions: Porky

·
24,212 Posts
Getting caught pulling a trailer across Oklahoma's panhandle with a storm approaching also has it's thrilling moments. ;);)
We had a guy with a trailer with us. Had to load the trailer in the chase vehicle that just happened to be with us. That guy intended to ride his bike but the morning we started our trip, he goes to his garage to find a flat tire on his bike. So very lucky in more ways than one.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Getting the wind in your face is fun. Getting pushed around the road by the wind is not always so much fun. I never usually let wind bother me, but yesterday was a bit different. Despite being under a "Wind Advisory", and seeing the trees in my neighborhood really swaying back and forth, I decided to take a late afternoon ride. It had been a beautifully warm day and we had three of our kids, with their kids visiting for the afternoon and leaving the family for a ride was not anything I wanted to do. But now it was late in the afternoon and everyone had left, so I thought I would go for a short ride. Usually the Goldwing, with its 900 plus pounds, doesn't get overly affected by the wind. But yesterday I was hit by some gusts which literally pushed me almost off the road. Slowing down helped, but fighting the wind took away any joy I might have had on this ride. Later I found out that we had 60 mph gusts on and off during the time I was riding, and even with the Goldwing that was just too much. Less than 30 minutes into the ride I was back in the garage. Ending up in the ditch alongside the road or in the lane of oncoming traffic was not something I wanted to happen so ending the ride seemed the best course of action. Live to ride another day.
Yeah, I can relate. In most cases the wing handles the wind great. The first time on the wing that I experienced Wyoming winds was a constant side wind which was actually really cool after I adjusted to it. I was just riding at an angle constantly the whole time. Then we crossed Montana a few days later and it was a buffeting wind. The bike did ok, but it wore us out so quick. I think it was three years ago that we were riding back home through southeast Missouri and the wind started gusting through those flat farms. I think this was close to what you were talking about as it felt like we had no control and couldn't adjust to it. Barely made it through that section safely.

·
24,212 Posts
Frame mounted faired bikes do much much better than fork faired bikes in crosswinds. Saw just how much on our little dust storm ride. That almost made me want to trade my Indian Roadmaster for the Indian Challenger when it came out. Framed mount just had almost zero lateral movement while us fork mounted where making complete lane changes with gust then, lack of wind with wind barriers like trees. It was interesting to watch.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
First off, if it's windy out
:LOL: remove the top box sail and leave it in your garage. It's not helping your motorcycles handling one bit.

I often break wind for other motorcycles

·
Registered
91 Posts
First off, if it's windy out
:LOL: remove the top box sail and leave it in your garage. It's not helping your motorcycles handling one bit.

I often break wind for other motorcycles
It's not a good thing if your top box is off on a Goldwing. I do agree it makes a difference on the FJR.

Now on the breaking wind comment... I don't know if I break wind "for" motorcycles but I do it "on" my motorcycle a lot. Maybe this means something different in Canada. :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Actually I have literally broke wind for other motorcycles, my BMW cuts the wind particularly well and I have on many occasions had others slipstream my bike to reduce turbulence from oncoming traffic and strong sidewinds.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
You can't just take off the top box and leave it when you're a few hundred or a thousand miles away from home. It may have something in it you'd like to keep.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,578 Posts
I 'break wind' all the time, it has something to do with the medication I am on. At least that is my excuse.

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
3,654 Posts
I'm not on any medication, I break wind at will.

I'm thinking it's not necessarily you're medication 😉

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,578 Posts
I'm not on any medication, I break wind at will.

I'm thinking it's not necessarily you're medication 😉
\

Poor Will, what did he ever do to you?

·
Secret Agent
2006 Honda CBR1000RR, 2008 Honda CRF230L, 2019 Honda CRF1000L
3,654 Posts
Probably was just the poor soul that was always behind me🤭

1 - 15 of 15 Posts