Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, as the title states I have a few questions. I'll be leaving for BCT here pretty soon, with a few other schools. There's a probability that my first duty station will be somewhere north, so I was wondering if a Supermoto/Dual Sport would be able to handle the snow. I could just get a car, but I'm married with two kids so we already kinda need a SUV/car to haul them around and I don't wanna be bothered with another payment.

Anyone have any suggestions/tips on riding in adverse weather?

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
A dual sport is the way to go if you are going to ride in the snow. Personally, it's too slippery to try riding in traffic, but it could be fun off road.

·
American Legion Rider
20,037 Posts
Fresh snow is okay. Packed snow forget it. That stuff is like ice. Even with the partial nobbies of your dual sport. Keep it to the off road adventures if you must.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your service!
Welcome from the hills of East Tennessee!!
Ed
Thanks for your support, but I'm not quite in yet :thumbsup:

So basically what everyone else is saying is, I should avoid a bike if I happen to be somewhere snowy?

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
as long as snow is on the road, my bike will stay in the shed....but if it's a nice warm (above freezing at least) day out and the roads are dry and clear, I'm not above taking a short ride

·
Member Map
23,911 Posts
I'm not adverse to riding in the cold, but ice and snow scares me too much. You really depend on traction to be able to stay up on two wheels.

There is always the spring, summer and fall for riding in the temperate areas.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Cold is no big deal if you dress for it, I do that down to 15F. On the other hand snow or ice on the road means my bike is parked, period. No way will I ride on that slippery stuff. I don't even like driving on it in my cage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'll be figuring out a cheap car to buy if I happen to get stationed somewhere snowy. Thanks for the help, all!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yeah be careful riding. Even "cold pavement" is noticeably more slippery than hot/warm pavement. And freezing pavement would be much worse, even before snow is sprinkled onto it.

Car drivers usually never notice the difference in traction, but on a bike you become much more aware especially when leaning into corners

·
Registered
116 Posts
Black ice

It is the black ice that can really get you. That and some guy who decides to dump a cold cup of coffee at the stop sign. Either way you are screwed pretty fast.

Buy a car. :71baldboy:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I ride a g650gs. It's a dual sport. I ride year around. However in winter I wait until the streets are cleaned.

·
Hero's are Remembered, Legends Never Die
307 Posts
There is a web site for people who ride in all conditions, I think its year rounders. But I ride in the snow, not so bad, worse case put on some studded tires. You can buy the tools and do it yourseld with car studs, works very well.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have a pair of Knobbies to put on when need be. With the proper riding gear, winter riding is pretty fun. You definately need heated grips.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
You guys are making me shiver just sitting here reading about driving a bike in the snow....You guys are the real diehards......

·
Hero's are Remembered, Legends Never Die
307 Posts
You guys are making me shiver just sitting here reading about driving a bike in the snow....You guys are the real diehards......
Some of us just love to ride, and when I am not on the bike it will be the snowmobiles up here. Others need to ride, as some stated, cannot afford more vehicles.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Well Zippy, I see you're up in Conn. I lived in NY for years and when you get on the NYS thru way, you can feel the diffrence as soon as you cross the boarder. :biggrin: Get a winter riding suit and go for it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I like to snowmobiles, but haven't been on one in years. I love riding my bike too....who wants to help me design a contraption that puts your motorcycle body onto the frame of a snowmobile, so you can get the best of both worlds.....It's gotta have heated hand grips, a device that pours out nice hot cocoa to warm your cold body, and heated seats.......

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Here Zippy try grafting this kit onto your S40 :D

You're gonna have to figure out how to add "hot cocoa injection" system your self.

And, here's a Model more suited for Eye, in case he ever feels like driving north a bit...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts