Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a quick Question, based on where I lived it rains often and I ride alot so how many of you ride in the rain and do you have a problem seeing in the rain with a full face helmet w/shield down?

thanks

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I wear glasses so if it starts raining while I'm riding I hope I have on my helmet with the face shield. I keep a good coating of polish for plastic (NOT Rainex) on it and the rain tends to just run off. If you are wearing a full face and it starts to fog up, raise the shield just a little and that normally clears it right up.

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,730 Posts
do you have a problem seeing in the rain with a full face helmet w/shield down?
Yes.

RainX will help on SOME shields, but SOME mfr's say "DON'T!" because of a coating applied at the factory, e.g. Bell Mag9

If you do a search here you'll find a half dozen threads where RainX is mentioned and what helmets are/aren't ok with it (e.g. HJC) and alternative products designed specifically for polycarbonate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I ride in the rain a lot. I wear a Shoei GT Air full face and the visor is fitted with a pinlock inset which stop it from fogging up even at temperaures close to freezing. I use regular household, silicone based furniture polish on the visor which makes the water disperse great. I turn my head to the side to clear the visor but also use a rubber blade which is attached to the index figure of my left glove to wipe it if necessary.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
worst case .... nothing is perfect.
you may need to pull your visor UP a little bit
and pull your glasses DOWN a little bit
so there is a small opening that you can see thru.

good luck,
dT

·
Pegasus trapped in a human body on a motorcycle
9,210 Posts
Normally, I do not wear a helmet while riding, but the few times I have worn one, and I got caught in the rain, cracking the vizor slightly prevented any fogging. Another thing that helps, in my experience is Pledge. Lemon Pledge seems to work best at allowing the shield to clear itself of water droplets while riding.

·
Registered
535 Posts
worst case .... nothing is perfect.
you may need to pull your visor UP a little bit
and pull your glasses DOWN a little bit
so there is a small opening that you can see thru.
My experience is that pulling the visor up, even for a couple of mm, makes things worse. Drops of water get on the inside of your visor, and on your glasses, and they won't go away. Keep the visor close, open all ventilation openings, and don't go slow. Speed keeps the flow of air in your helmet up.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
i think what I was saying is ... dont LOOK thru the visor or the glasses. because they will get drops of water on them. so if you can keep a narrow crack of open air, and look directly at traffic with your open eyes, it sometimes works. Its not something that you wanna do at high speeds, but OK for local roads for a brief heavy shower.

I use your system whenever stuff is is fogging up. I agree that the best way to unfog is to keep a good stream of air moving thru the interior of the helmet.

dT

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
BTW, be very, very careful if you are riding on freeways after a light shower of rain. This piece of advice affects areas of the country that are predominantly dry ... like Arizona and Southern California. The buildup of oil on the freeway surface is major ... after weeks or months of heavy traffic and long dry spells. So when that first shower of light rain hits the surface ... the freeway becomes a skating rink. Seriously, if you ever get caught in a traffic jam in L.A. or Phoenix, and there is a light rain shower, and you need to duckwalk your bike ... see how well your boots do on the freeway asphalt. It's slick as SN*T.

So be super careful under those conditions, and dont touch your front brakes ... or you are going down!!

dT

·
Registered
183 Posts
Fog is a problem I face. I have tried a couple of products but they do not seem to work. But a clean visor with a good plastic polish should let you see.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I use a Shoei Neotec with a Pin-Lock visor. With this setup I can ride with the visor closed.

The Pin-Lock does block some light at night but it's still better than trying to look through a fogged up visor.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I ride all the time with minimal issues. If you encounter adverse riding conditions you must deal with them. Yes you read that right, I am not your mama. I will not be taking on your problems, they are yours. When I have an issue with an arrangement I look for my own answers. Is that idea foreign to you? If it is you have lots of places you need to go. In every situation you must seek the solution that works. Is there one for you? If there is, use it.
I must agree with DT about the hazards of riding Socal after a storm. The roads there are without rain so long that the roads are a total wreck.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
My left hand has served as a windshield wiper on my visor, back in the days when I wore a full-face helmet.

But generally speaking, I'd have to be CAUGHT in the rain, and that because of my own stupidity.

These days, it's a half-helmet with a drop-down visor, and I don't go out in the rain. That simple.

If I am caught in "rain" (which almost never happens) I'll let you know how it went.

-Soupy

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
I wear a half helmet and glasses, I don't have a problem riding in the rain, if it gets too bad to see I just pull off someplace I can be covered, clean my glasses and wait for the rain to let up a little...

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
The biggest risk while riding in the rain is that others on the road will not see you. When you are in your car, even with the defroster and wipers going full blast, your overall visibility is reduced significantly. It is very easy for car drivers to totally not see a motorcycle during a heavy rain, especially when raining at night. For that reason, if you can, I recommend pulling over somewhere safe and waiting it out, or at least until the severity of the rain decreases.

You should also consider all of the good suggestions already made on this thread about cracking over the visor to increase airflow, coating the visor with wax to improve water run off, and possibly buying one of the finger squeegee things so that you can use your left hand to squeegee off the water periodically.

I've ridden safely in the rain, even for long distances. Once I rode almost 750 miles in continuous rain, without incident. But I don't consider that fun. I normally leave the bike at home and take the car if its raining or there is a high probability of rain.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
When hurricane Ike came in and went across the U S and out to The Atlantic we rode from Ashville NC to Myrtle Beach SC on 2 lane roads in a very hard rain. Trying to leave Ashville all of our visors, glasses and windshields fogged up and we had to pull off the road so we ate at Denny's. Later, somewhere close to Lake City we had to hide out under the girders and watched a tornado go by. It was an interesting ride to say the least.

·
Registered
183 Posts
When hurricane Ike came in and went across the U S and out to The Atlantic we rode from Ashville NC to Myrtle Beach SC on 2 lane roads in a very hard rain. Trying to leave Ashville all of our visors, glasses and windshields fogged up and we had to pull off the road so we ate at Denny's. Later, somewhere close to Lake City we had to hide out under the girders and watched a tornado go by. It was an interesting ride to say the least.
Watch being under a bridge as the vacuum can pull you out.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Yep, I know, but there was nothing anywhere else to get under to avoid the hail. We were in the middle of nowhere with nothing but fields on each side of the road. We left our helmets on too due to the things flying around. There was no way of out running it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts