Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The worst riding conditions make the best riders.

Recently I got caught in the rain at the end of a long day. I rode from California to Spearfish, South Dakota, and arrived as the shadows were growing long.

I could see thunderstorms ahead, and sweated out my gas situation until I finally had a chance to fill up. At the gas station, I heard that not only was there heavy rain, but hail as well.

Newly confident with a full tank, I headed into the storms. First the bugs were washed from the bike, then I got soaked, then that clammy feeling of wet, cold leather.

Soon I was concentrating on making time on the windy roads of Spearfish Canyon, with some mud thrown in where the road was being worked on. I don't like riding when it is dark, and the rain made it worse. However, I have to admit that I felt really good about the ride almost the second I finished that part of the trip. While I would never choose to ride in these conditions, it was the kind of thing that can't help but make you a better rider.

From now on, when you find yourself weather challenged, go for it with gusto. Wet conditions force you to be smooth.

·
2005 Suzuki C50 Boulevard
338 Posts
Good job.

I've done rain 3 times now. No terenchal downpours, just rain. The last 2 times were on the highway at 50-60 mph. Once in the dark. It wasn't too bad, really.

Dark? I know dark. Every morning I ride is before sunup. The sky isn't even changing colors yet. Save for the AM on the clock, it's still nighttime and nighttime dark.

My bike has 6 lights and 7 reflectors. My jacket has 3 big reflective tape squares on the back and my helmet has 2 small reflective tape squares- 1 on each side. In addition to that, my helmet and jacket are mostly silver and shiny. Add some shiny chrome; people can see me. The headlight of the C50 does a good job of allowing me to see other people as well. I rather like driving in the dark.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
:D ;) :cool: Good for you!

·
Banned
919 Posts
When I am in a place where there are very few cages around and I am in control of myself alone then fine and I have rain gear that goes over my leathers so I stay very dry. In a place where there are cagers and big rigs around, forget it as this is where thing are out of my control. Those folks can't see me on a bright clear day so why would they see me on a rain soaked day or night? I have no problem riding in the rain but I see no reason to ask for trouble by riding in conditions that make me an obvious target for some less than favorable scenarios. All it takes is one emergency braking incident while those streets are soaked to find out why I sould have pulled over at the last overpass.

Glad you made it OK.

·
Registered
119 Posts
MP .. ballsy! congrats on scaling the challenge :)

I rode in substantial rain maybe 6 years back on my old (late) 450.. only about 35mph through town, but enough to soak me through... rain kept splattering through the gap between the helmet and my face shield and getting in my eyes... i think that, and slippery hands (no gloves) were the challenges. getting soaked is otherwise just hilarious unless you have water-sensetive stuff in your pockets, or if it threatens your health.

and then there's the added traction hazard. Losing traction actually freaks me out a bit. I rode to work last week after it had rained and was still drizzling, and my body just would not take the turns (at corners) any faster than a geared idle, i was too freaked out. probably cause i haven't ridden for 4 years... but also because on smooth concrete turns i could just feel that back tire wanting to kick around a little.

Hogrider... damn that sounds scary. :( i'd hate to be caged during rain at night. *shudder*

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
OOOhhhh the rainnn!! and the DDDDarkkk!

The worst 120 miles I ridden was coming back to Kentucky from Michigan this past spring.
Running I-75 south, I think every 18 wheeler in the world decided to be on that particular road at that particular time. The trip was a rush trip so stopping was not an option. I had my chaps, but no rain pants.
The rain, even without the big rigs, absolutely poured. With the big rigs, OMG!! It looked like London fog mixed with a good south Texas monsun!
By the time I got back, I was very aware of what a soaked rat feels like. Even my heavy leather, mink oil treated bike boots were soaked to the core. A prune has so few rinkles compared to the way I looked under my soaked clothes.
I love night driving, but if it should ever happen that an urgent trip is needed again, I think I'll rent a car!!!!
CD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts