Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last November two friend and I rented a Cabin on Black Rock Mountain as our base camp for four days and rode the mountains for all four days. We were usually riding 8 to 10 hour days doing riding excursions to Bryson City, NC, Cherokee, Tellico Plains Tennessee along with some other areas.

Living in Florida (Tampa Bay area), I have to go about 700 miles before I hit some good mountain riding areas. We have no mountains here or twisty roads, just a lot of heavy traffic. So for the last decade, I've been going up to North Carolina and Tennessee as much as I can, usually once or twice a year for twisty mountain road riding excursions. The riding experience is so different up there. Very little traffic, and very few side roads makes riding there so much less stressful than in the urban areas of where I live. I can actually enjoy the scenery instead of watching out for what all the cage drivers around me are doing. Is the area where you live a good riding area, or is it like mine with heavy urban traffic and side roads and drives coming out everywhere? Do you have to go very far for some relaxed riding?

I was just re-making (editing) the video that I did last November of our rides up there to shorten it, change some footage, and to add different music. Watching the riding scene's made me wonder what its like for everyone else out there in other areas of the country. I get pretty frustrated riding here with all the road rage and idiot drivers that just don't see riders, its a every day issue that forces me to get out of town to enjoy riding. Anyways, this is the re-edited video. Some of the younger guys here wont recognize the music.

Reactions: Phantom Pilot

·
American Legion Rider
26,018 Posts
It appears you have a video problem there MG...

·
Registered
162 Posts
I live about 30 miles from Tellico Palins and ride all the mountainous roads regularly in good weather. I never ride the freeway or in heavy traffic. Did you go up to the tunnel to no-where when you were in Bryson City?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live about 30 miles from Tellico Palins and ride all the mountainous roads regularly in good weather. I never ride the freeway or in heavy traffic. Did you go up to the tunnel to no-where when you were in Bryson City?
You are a very fortunate man to live there, its pure Gods country to me. Yes, I have been to the road to nowhere on previous trips when I've actually stayed in Bryson City.

It appears you have a video problem there MG...
Hog, I don't know why you're getting that, I can see the video clearly. I'll re-post a link using the sites YouTube wrap quotes.

Link:

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
15,538 Posts
I get the same thing, Zeb..........video not available

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm. I don't know what it could be, I can see it using both Chrome and Internet Explorer browsers. I also posted it on a Guzzi specific forum and others can see it there without any issues. Might be a problem with the forum.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
9,142 Posts
Me too:surprise:

I only have to turn right or left out of my farm driveway to enjoy excellent rural country riding that compared to the cities I have lived in is pure Nirvana!

40 miles south puts me into NW Arkansas that has some famous twisty roads with 2,000 or more feet of elevation changes and even higher areas like the Ozark and Arkansas Alps, that are breathtaking, with very little traffic to ruin the fun.

I love to ride into Tennessee, which has just about any type of terrain that a rider could want.

The last place I lived, in Hemet, California, I was surrounded on 3 sides by 6,000 to 8,000 plus feet mountains with not only excellent street riding but fantastic dirt bike riding leading up to the mountain resort areas. I always not only had streetbikes but Adventure/ dual purpose bikes to have all bases covered. At least once a week, I would ride a jeep trail for 30 miles from the forestry gate to Idyllwild and have breakfast or lunch and then ride the paved road back home on my Dualsport DR650, KLR650 or my KTM 640EXC:wink2:

SW Missouri, Carthage, where we have lived for the last 19 years since moving from California, has some very good, quiet country areas that afford unbelievable beauty as they meander through the Ozarks, with rivers and lakes everywhere and some great photography subjects that I take advantage of.

Being a Diver, sailboat and powerboater, deep sea fisherman, and ocean lover, I miss the Pacific coast very badly! My riding buds and I would follow the "Pacific coast highway," from San Diego, CA through Oregon and end up in Neah Bay or Port Angeles, Wash, a distance of 1,300+ miles of riding Heaven. I miss that:smile_big:

Sam:nerd:

·
Registered
28 Posts
i live in the rockies, mountain riders dont even have seats. bike guys do stuff my v8 jeep with 47" tires cant do.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Well heck, let me try a couple of other YouTube links plus embedding. If this doesn't work, I give up. Let me know if anyone see's anything other than I don't know what.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i got like the same video 12 times in one post. im not gonna watch the first one never mind the 12th.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
i got like the same video 12 times in one post. im not gonna watch the first one never mind the 12th.
Good for you, thanks for the feedback. At least I'm not the only one seeing the videos. Maybe some Admin can get involved.

·
On The Road Again!
4,207 Posts
Is the area where you live a good riding area, or is it like mine with heavy urban traffic and side roads and drives coming out everywhere? Do you have to go very far for some relaxed riding?
I am in the northwest corner of New Jersey. Most people think of New Jersey as being highways and traffic, and they would be right.
But up here where I live, we have some of the nicest two lane or even one lane back roads you have ever seen. This entire corner of the state is excellent for riding. And it's right outside my door.
And even better, all these back roads lead to back roads in lower New York state and the Pocono mountain area of eastern Pennsylvania. I can pull out of my driveway and ride for hours through farms and hills and valleys and not see much traffic at all, especially early on a Sunday morning!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good for you, thanks for the feedback. At least I'm not the only one seeing the videos. Maybe some Admin can get involved.
hey, i didnt mean it in a bad way. just the one post had the same video posted like 20 times. i only need to see you riding once to like you!

·
Very Famous Person
10,003 Posts
--

It worked fine for me, Zeb, but that's because I'm cool. :cool: But not sure of Cal. Dreamin' for a NC video???

It is beautiful country. I'll be riding there in that area as part of an 8,000 miler this June/July.

--

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
--

It worked fine for me, Zeb, but that's because I'm cool. :cool: But not sure of Cal. Dreamin' for a NC video???

It is beautiful country. I'll be riding there in that area as part of an 8,000 miler this June/July.

--
Sounds like a serious Iron Butt ride. I have to honestly say that I've never come close to anything like that in one or two or even three trips. It should be an experience, and you'll enjoy the region. The longest trip that I've done on two wheels was just under 1900 miles round trip, that was on a GL1800 wing. As far as the music, I've never used a motorcycle specific song for any of my ride videos, there's so few good ones. When I look for a song for a video, I'm really looking for good rhythm that matches the pace of the video, if I can find lyrics that match the scenery or the story of a ride video, that's great, but not necessary.

But, let me connect the dots for you. The rhythm is a match, the lyrics sing about brown leaves, grey skies, winter days, dreaming of a warm climate California on a winters day. Did you see all the brown leaves, the winter foliage, we were riding on cold November days, that's close enough for me. After riding in 30 to 40 degree weather all day without fairings or windscreens, trust me, we were thinking of warmth about halfway through each ride. Plus, what matters the most to me is that I like the song. I really like the Hippie music from the early 60's period. That one was from 1965, even thou it was a little before my time.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I don't have to go far. I live in a small town 6,000 feet up in the mountains of Utah. In ten minutes I'm 9,000 feet up at the top, where roads take off in all directions. Some roads are dirt, most are paved, passing grassy meadows, forests, lakes, and a couple of semi ghost towns. The only thing missing is traffic!:grin: Somebody has to put a gun to my head to make me go to the 'big city'.

Porky mentioned California. It was a great place for Bikes and Hot Rods 40 years ago. Very little traffic, open Desert for dirt riding, and beautiful mountain riding. But humanity pushed me further and further away. Once Victorville/Apple Valley filled up, I had to leave. Do I miss it? Yep. Will I go back? Nope. So far, where I live, it's still Rural and undiscovered. Ranchers even run their Sheep thru town when they bring them down the Mountain for winter. I've found my happy place and see no reason to move.

·
American Legion Rider
26,018 Posts
It might be a browser problem. I'm not a YouTube guru by any stretch but are there any rules there that might limit the audience?

Or maybe it's some blocker of advertisements those of us that can't see it are using. I know I use several.

I'm going to report the thread using the report button at the lower left just to get the site admins involved. Maybe they can get it fixed if it has to do with anything on this site.

·
Registered
607 Posts
The area where I live, Upstate SC, is darned near nirvana for motorcycle riding. A network of two-lane secondary highways covers the area, and the terrain varies from open to heavily wooded, the roads from fairly straight-and-level to nicely curvy and up-and down. Less than 2 hours away we have the mountains of NC and northern GA, both reachable by comfortable, traffic-free 2-lane roads or, if you are in a hurry to get there, Interstates. Being in a small town and a lightly populated county, an hour or two of enjoyable spur-of-the-moment riding is right outside my door when the itch comes upon me, and traffic is never a concern

1 - 20 of 29 Posts