Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to buy a motorcycle for an upcoming trip. I'll be in southern europe in August, and the temperatures will be in the 80s or 90s. How hot is too hot to ride?

I've done some research and generally when people talk about "too hot to ride", they're usually bragging about how they still ride in 118 degree weather. I'm going to be a brand new rider and am not trying to pass out on the highway. I also will be using this as transportation to and from work and don't want to be perpetually smelly and damp. What is the actual ideal temperature for riding?

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
I'm fine until it gets to 95 or 100. You've just got to make sure you drink plenty fluids. I'm usually still wearing a light jacket if it's under 80. Sounds like fun.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Let's face it, when it is REALLY hot out, riding the bike can feel like standing in front of a blast furnace! I have done that.

In a former place of employment years ago, I had to put skids of metal parts into a furnace that was used for annealing the metal (relaxing the metal molecules). It was 1800 degrees in there!! I KNOW what "hot" feels like!!

Anyway, the biggest issue is safety under those conditions. If you went down without protection, you are gonna get hurt, let's face it! Even WITH "protection" you can be "hurt" of course, but you get the issue.

Protection means layers (coat, helmet, gloves) ........and any layers you add, are going to make you sweat.

I suppose you could (as I have tried to do) find coats and gloves made of breathable materials, but I have yet to find "breathable materials" that keep me from sweating in extreme heat, when riding any distance IN that heat.

Staying hydrated of course, (especially on longer rides) is going to be a key element to keeping yourself in good shape during the ride.

We see the folks who ride with a t-shirt, no helmet, no gloves.........and they are certainly "cool" looking, eh?! They take a risk that I am tempted to take on hot days, but don't.

Rather, I keep my riding gear in a cool place when it is not being worn, I keep my gear as light-weight and breathable without sacrificing safety (as best I can) and that's about it.

Riding with a half-shell helmet, although not the "safest" option (as opposed to a full-face helmet) is still a reasonable option. I still sweat in my half-shell though (btw).

-Soupy

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
And if you stop sweating get out of the heat and get some fluids in you.

·
Registered
282 Posts
They have said it all......light vented jacket and drink water, that trip your planning sounds great, youll have a blast. Take pictures.:)

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
If it's real hot, say over 100 f , and I'm going to be riding in the bright sun all day, sometimes I'll pull on a button up long sleeve shirt over my t-shirt.

But other then that, like was already said, just stop and rest now and then and drink plenty of water.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What's the most comfortable temperature for riding? Would you want it to be slightly cooler since you wear a lot of gear, maybe 65? Or would you want it slightly warmer since you're in the wind, closer to 80? What temperature would not leave you sweating?

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
The temperature determines how much gear I wear. That and rain. The cooler it is, the more I bundle up. The hotter it is the less I wear. But no matter which way I'm trending, there are times when I'm going to sweat or going to shiver, and sometimes on the same day. It's just a part of riding, and as long as I don't stay hypo- or hyper- thermic for long enough to cause problems I don't worry about it too much.

So I guess the range that I can enjoy riding in is roughly 50F to about 105F. Either side of that and it starts to get un-fun pretty quick for me.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I do NOT like the heat! Anything over 80F is hot to me (had heat stroke too many times). The first thing that goes in the spring is that I switch from snowmobile clothing to riding clothes in the spring. Next I get rid of the chaps, then the liner from my mesh jacket. In the city, the gloves go next. I would have to be desperate to take the mesh jacket off - I like my skin the way it is! - and helmets are the law here so it stays but the visor goes up in the city. Once I reach the highway, the gloves go back on. I also keep my riding boots on but will switch to sneakers if I am staying on the back roads.

Another 3 months or so and we will be switching back to the snowmobile suit :frown:

·
American Legion Rider
23,605 Posts
Oh let's not talk about winter already.:p

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I have spent some time in Europe in the summer. I never saw it too hot for riding but I didn't experience southern Italy or the Mediterranean coast.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Check the location, he's bragging ;)
:71baldboy:

As long as they keep whining about it being cold I'll keep bragging about riding in January beneath the palms and the Spanish moss.

And Dianne, I know what it's like to be cold. :biggrin: I'm just glad I had the opportunity to leave cold in the rear view mirror. :wink:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts