Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Shaper Of All Things Metal
2,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This image was on a VOM (Voice Of the Martyrs) calendar I received recently. Taken in Viet Nam it shows the determination to spread the Gospel by some missionary workers and how they use a motorcycle in less than ideal conditions.

I'm posting this to show the extreme uses motorcycles are put to around the world (not to start an argument for or against religion). ;) While our bikes are primarily recreational for us, they are hard working tools for others.

What other extreme uses of motorcycles have you seen? :icon_cool:

·
American Legion Rider
23,521 Posts
You are right doc. Most in this country are afraid to scratch their pretty paint. In other countries a bike is just a two wheel pickup. I've hauled some strange things but nothing like they do other places. But I'm not afraid to scratch the paint on a bike. I've seen some beautiful places because I went down those dirt and gravel roads. But I do draw the line at crossing a rain swollen creek. I've crossed a slow moving 18 inch deep one several times but that it. Time to park it anything over that.

·
8,571 Posts
I'm glad the Guy wasn't on a Goldwing:biggrin:

Our Missionaries go through unbelievable hardships to spread the good new of the Gospel but that is part of our "Great Commission" and must be done locally and in the most remote and uninhabitable and unfriendly places.:)

Sam:biggrin:

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
As a "PK," I have met a large number of Missionaries, who would come to my Dad's Churches, to give reports on their Ministries and drum up support.

As a result, I have come to know many of them personally, as they typically would be housed in the Parsonage with us, while in our area.

Some of my favorite memories from childhood, was the Sunday night slide shows with narration, given by these various Missionaries, showing scantly-clad tribal people, living in really rough conditions, and the way that the Missionaries would "live as they did" within their villages.

The vehicles they used, were typically boats, scooters and beat up old cars.

One Missionary that I took a particular shine to, was David Clark, (now retired, but still living) who was a Missionary to the Alaskan tribal people.

He came and stayed at our home, and even went (at my request) to my fifth grade class, to talk about Alaskan natives.

Fast forward to last year,.....I had been thinking of David, and did a little research, and was able to contact him (now in his 90's) and talk about those years, and how impressed I was with his years spent in Alaska.

Missionaries truly do go thru a great deal of hardship. "New Tribes Mission" (Sanford, Florida Headquarters) is a worthy organization example, of a place where folks go thru training in all sorts of Languages, Survival techniques, and so forth, in preparation for Missions.

-Soupy

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,281 Posts
I will call you Doc and raise you with:

·
8,571 Posts
The kids face says it all:biggrin:

Sam:coffeescreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts