Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have been reading through the forums for some suggestions and to get some help.

First a bit of History-

My riding experience.

My riding started on a 150cc piaggio scooter and i rode that for 3 years. Then got an entry level 125cc road bike and rode that for 6 years. Then moved on to 200cc kawasaki pulsar and rode that for another 3 years. All this experience is accrued on indian road with arguably the most volatile traffic you can imagine.

I came here in 2008 and have a drivers license but i haven't had seat time on a bike for about 6 years now. I have signed up for a BRC at a local MSF center to brush up my skills and get a rider's license. I know all the members here suggest a ninja 250r or cbr250. Which is a perfectly valid suggestion that i agree with. However, my reason for getting a bike is that i have to commute 70 miles daily and it will be on the freeway. I dont like the idea of riding a 250 on a freeway buzzing around at 8000 rpm vibrating all the way. Also, i'll have a pillion rider with me on the weekends. I have read a lot about cb500f, but i dont like the idea of buying new right away. Im totally confused and would appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Maybe you can find a used CB500F? They have been out over a year now. Seems like it would be a good choice. Another idea would be a used Moto Guzzi 750, but that may be over your budget.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Buddy,

Thanks for replying. I have read raving reviews about the cb500f. but, also read somewhere that there's a bad oil consumption problem. dont want to commit to spending 5000$ with all the gear and having a fight with the dealer for an unreliable bike. Also, i was looking at suzuki sv650. Would that be a wise choice. I've got a good deal on a yamaha FZ-6 but dont want a I-4 engine with no power in the low rpm range. I think that would be a handful for me, all that power hitting me at 7500rpm

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
You have been riding for quite some time, in hectic traffic, so you have learned to handle a bike well. I would not call you a beginner. If a bigger bike were to cause you any headache, l think it would simply be the fact that you have always been used to really light bikes, so the weight may require some adjustment.

I have an SV650 and l love it. I just got back on the road after a 20 year hiatus and it is the bike l chose. It has plenty of power, but at no time does it ever feel like too much to handle. I was on the freeway today...in 6th gear it does 70 mph at about 5200 rpm. Wet and full of gas it weighs just over 400 pounds, and it doesn't feel like a big bike at all. It is easy to ride.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Anything over about 500 cc should do just fine on the highway without being too buzzy. You can keep costs down by buying a used bike with a few years on it. I really like big heavy bikes so I run more to the Victory Vision I own now or the HD Road Glide. I did own a 1300 cc Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe that was a pleasure to ride and suitable for a passenger on short trips of 200 miles or less. A 70 miles commute on that would be a walk in the park.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Hawkoholic

I've been looking at the pre 2007 Ninja 600r and the SV650. Both are twins albeit parallel and V-twin. But offer the torque characteristics that I'm looking for. What is your take on the riding ergonomics. It looks like SV650 offers a more aggressive riding stance. Will it cause a strain on the wrists for longer highway riding. Have you had a chance to ride the Ninja 600. I only ask because, i 'll keep this bike for a couple years and rack up some miles before i move on to another one.

@Oldman47

Thats what i was thinking too because I'll have a passenger on the weekends and lots of highway riding on the weekdays. can you suggest any websites i can buy riding gear. I've been looking at motorcycle gear.com and i know i need to spend atleast a $1000 on gear because i have to buy everything. But just looking for a deal. Not trying to cut corners. I know how important riding gear is.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Don't let the sales folks mislead you. Riding gear is not cheap but need not be so expensive either. My own gear, including a good winter jacket, boots, helmet and gloves cost me under $700. Try searching for each item separately. Sometimes the folks with the best price on gloves are making their profit on boots. Buy the gloves from them and the boots from someone else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have been riding for quite some time, in hectic traffic, so you have learned to handle a bike well. I would not call you a beginner. If a bigger bike were to cause you any headache, l think it would simply be the fact that you have always been used to really light bikes, so the weight may require some adjustment.

I have an SV650 and l love it. I just got back on the road after a 20 year hiatus and it is the bike l chose. It has plenty of power, but at no time does it ever feel like too much to handle. I was on the freeway today...in 6th gear it does 70 mph at about 5200 rpm. Wet and full of gas it weighs just over 400 pounds, and it doesn't feel like a big bike at all. It is easy to ride.

I've been looking at the pre 2007 Ninja 600r and the SV650. Both are twins albeit parallel and V-twin. But offer the torque characteristics that I'm looking for. What is your take on the riding ergonomics. It looks like SV650 offers a more aggressive riding stance. Will it cause a strain on the wrists for longer highway riding. Have you had a chance to ride the Ninja 600. I only ask because, i 'll keep this bike for a couple years and rack up some miles before i move on to another one.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
If l'm not mistaken, the Ninja 600 is an inline 4 and cranks out like 120 horses. A bit much, IMO. The Ninja 650 is very similar to the SV650. You could go either way and be quite happy. I went with the SV650 because there happen to be a lot more of them in my area, so they were less expensive.

Another bike to consider if you want to ride with a passenger is a Suzuki Katana 600. Power wise, l would say it is somewhere in between my bike and a 600 sport bike with an inline 4. They are inexpensive; l see them for under $2500 all the time. A lot of times they come with luggage too.

As far as gear is concerned, this is what l have...
Helmet - $600, Arai. I spent elaborately on a lid that l really wanted. You can get a great hat for a couple hundred bucks.
Boots - $100 Sedici. They are comfortable, have no laces, and will not come off and leave my foot skinless.
Jacket - I already had a leather jacket that l have been wearing, but right now l am looking at jackets on Craigslist. I see no reason to spend $500 on a jacket when l can spend $100 on a jacket that someone else spent $500 on and wore half a dozen times.
Pants - Draggin jeans, $60 on Ebay. Kevlar lined to keep skin on your butt.
Gloves - BILT armored gloves, $30. BILT is decent stuff for a good price. It is CycleGear's home brand. It is always on sale, so never pay full price for it. I wasn't happy with the helmet l got though, that's why l upgraded. The padding felt inadequate.

Other than spending heavily for a well built helmet that...okay, l admit it, it looks really cool...my gear hasn't been super spendy. A guy could easily gear up for $500-$700 with decent gear. Just don't pinch a penny where your safety is concerned. And it is your safety, so own it, don't take my word for it. If you feel like something is really important, then buy it and wear it. Don't not buy something and then have it on your mind all the time when you ride. You'll find what you like and what is important to you :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If l'm not mistaken, the Ninja 600 is an inline 4 and cranks out like 120 horses. A bit much, IMO. The Ninja 650 is very similar to the SV650. You could go either way and be quite happy. I went with the SV650 because there happen to be a lot more of them in my area, so they were less expensive.

Another bike to consider if you want to ride with a passenger is a Suzuki Katana 600. Power wise, l would say it is somewhere in between my bike and a 600 sport bike with an inline 4. They are inexpensive; l see them for under $2500 all the time. A lot of times they come with luggage too.

As far as gear is concerned, this is what l have...
Helmet - $600, Arai. I spent elaborately on a lid that l really wanted. You can get a great hat for a couple hundred bucks.
Boots - $100 Sedici. They are comfortable, have no laces, and will not come off and leave my foot skinless.
Jacket - I already had a leather jacket that l have been wearing, but right now l am looking at jackets on Craigslist. I see no reason to spend $500 on a jacket when l can spend $100 on a jacket that someone else spent $500 on and wore half a dozen times.
Pants - Draggin jeans, $60 on Ebay. Kevlar lined to keep skin on your butt.
Gloves - BILT armored gloves, $30. BILT is decent stuff for a good price. It is CycleGear's home brand. It is always on sale, so never pay full price for it. I wasn't happy with the helmet l got though, that's why l upgraded. The padding felt inadequate.

Other than spending heavily for a well built helmet that...okay, l admit it, it looks really cool...my gear hasn't been super spendy. A guy could easily gear up for $500-$700 with decent gear. Just don't pinch a penny where your safety is concerned. And it is your safety, so own it, don't take my word for it. If you feel like something is really important, then buy it and wear it. Don't not buy something and then have it on your mind all the time when you ride. You'll find what you like and what is important to you :)
Thanks for the reply Hawkoholic.

Sorry. I did mean the ninja 650r. But I'm looking on CycleTrader.com and dont see any within 100 miles of LA. Have found 6 SV 650. By now, Im pretty much warming to the SV 650 styling wise and the ride wise, i think that would be good for me. I'll go test ride one before i make any decisions. Dealers are quoting almost 1000 over the KBB price for a 2007 SV650S. But my current options limit me to financing the ride with about 30% down payment. I've bought my car with cash and never done financing. Should i go with dealer finance or Do i have an option of going to the bank and asking for a loan.

Coming to Gear, I've been browsing motorcyclegear.com and have found some good deals on textile jackets and mainly the Gunner waterproof jacket. Would that be a good investment or is Leather the only way to go. Ofcourse I'll be adding a lot of gear in the coming years and the collection will grow. But right now, I have to buy two of everything because I'll have a passenger in a few months.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
What you are coming up against as far as supply/demand is exactly what l ran into. I didn't really have an opinion either way; l wanted a reliable bike and they were both good choices. But l found a handful of SV's for every 650 Ninja l found, so the market made the decision for me. As far as financing goes, l would think a bank would not have a problem financing a bike so long as it fir their lending criteria. It would likely have to be newer and have less than a certain number of miles, and have a clear title. In your case l would go to the bank first and make arrangements to borrow the money. This way, when you find the bike you want, all you have to do is go into the bank with the VIN number and they can process the loan right then and there.

Textile jackets are fine, a lot of people love them and prefer them over leather. Personally, l have just been finding great deals on leather on Craigslist, and l don't mind buying used if it is in good condition. Here is a good example.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/4754205324.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What you are coming up against as far as supply/demand is exactly what l ran into. I didn't really have an opinion either way; l wanted a reliable bike and they were both good choices. But l found a handful of SV's for every 650 Ninja l found, so the market made the decision for me. As far as financing goes, l would think a bank would not have a problem financing a bike so long as it fir their lending criteria. It would likely have to be newer and have less than a certain number of miles, and have a clear title. In your case l would go to the bank first and make arrangements to borrow the money. This way, when you find the bike you want, all you have to do is go into the bank with the VIN number and they can process the loan right then and there.

Textile jackets are fine, a lot of people love them and prefer them over leather. Personally, l have just been finding great deals on leather on Craigslist, and l don't mind buying used if it is in good condition. Here is a good example.
Thank you for all your help sir. very enlightening. I'll keep you posted on how my search goes and bug you if i have any other questions.. until then, Happy Motoring and stay safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey now, no need for name calling...sir doesn't fit me well

Feel free to ask :)

Hello Again.. i told you I'll bug again.. Now this time, i wanted to ask you, how do you like the riding position with the clip-ons on the SV650s. This will be my commuter bike and i'll be riding 70 miles daily. Do i need a handle bar swap?

Also, seats? How do they hold up for comfort for daily commute. And passenger seat, will a gel pad help my to be rider:)

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I don't particularly like the handlebars...it rides too far forward, although l must say it had been easier to adjust to as time goes on. A 70 mile commute, l would do a handlebar riser if/when you can afford it. I have plans for one at some point.

As for the seat, the lady l bought mine from put an oversized seat on it and said that the original was hard as a rock. It is fairly comfortable now, l wouldn't hesitate to ride the 4 hours to my parents' place in Eastern Washington. I have not ridden with a passenger on my bike, as my girlfriend has a chronic pain condition and does not feel comfortable being on the bike in case it flares up. But l would allow your passenger to decide. Let her know from the beginning that if she wants a different seat, then you can find one. There will be a learning curve anyway...just identify what works and what doesn't, and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't particularly like the handlebars...it rides too far forward, although l must say it had been easier to adjust to as time goes on. A 70 mile commute, l would do a handlebar riser if/when you can afford it. I have plans for one at some point.

As for the seat, the lady l bought mine from put an oversized seat on it and said that the original was hard as a rock. It is fairly comfortable now, l wouldn't hesitate to ride the 4 hours to my parents' place in Eastern Washington. I have not ridden with a passenger on my bike, as my girlfriend has a chronic pain condition and does not feel comfortable being on the bike in case it flares up. But l would allow your passenger to decide. Let her know from the beginning that if she wants a different seat, then you can find one. There will be a learning curve anyway...just identify what works and what doesn't, and adjust accordingly.
Hello Again,

I went to two dealers today to get some seat time on three bikes. I tried the SV650S, ninja 650r and the Yamaha FZ6R.

Out of the three, My biggest kick in the pants was the SV650S. I had my heart set on it, but handle bars are way too forward for me and i'm thinking i might not be comfortable commuting on it. Otherwise, its a great bike. Looks great and i have read some very nice things about the engine.

Coming to Ninja 650R, i liked the ergonomics very much. bike feels narrow and flickable and light just like the SV. But read a lot about vibrations and people not able to see headlights in the mirrors because of the vibrations.

Yamaha FZ6R. I know its an I-4. But, Ergonomics and comfort are really good. I like the dials and the mirror setup and the seat is really really comfortable. Haven't done a test ride.

I am thinking im coming to judgements too quickly and should hold off until i actually test ride all three. but SV650S is a little bit aggressive ergonomics wise. I even expanded my search and cant find the naked version with the normal handlebar anywhere.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Hello Again,

I went to two dealers today to get some seat time on three bikes. I tried the SV650S, ninja 650r and the Yamaha FZ6R.

Out of the three, My biggest kick in the pants was the SV650S. I had my heart set on it, but handle bars are way too forward for me and i'm thinking i might not be comfortable commuting on it. Otherwise, its a great bike. Looks great and i have read some very nice things about the engine.

Coming to Ninja 650R, i liked the ergonomics very much. bike feels narrow and flickable and light just like the SV. But read a lot about vibrations and people not able to see headlights in the mirrors because of the vibrations.

Yamaha FZ6R. I know its an I-4. But, Ergonomics and comfort are really good. I like the dials and the mirror setup and the seat is really really comfortable. Haven't done a test ride.

I am thinking im coming to judgements too quickly and should hold off until i actually test ride all three. but SV650S is a little bit aggressive ergonomics wise. I even expanded my search and cant find the naked version with the normal handlebar anywhere.
Yeah, it is an aggressive stance. I have to say though, l have gotten used to it more than l thought l would. That being said, l would still like to do a riser on it.

I would also look at an EX500 (Kawasaki) and a GS500 (Suzuki). They have sport look but are really a standard design. Good power for a first bigger bike as well. Not as much as an SV650 or Ninja 650, but still plenty for the highway. I think they have about 50 horsepower.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Why not take a look at the Honda CB500F? Seems to be a good candidate for you and your needs. Good comfy ergos make it a great commuter, not too heavy, and not overpowered.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
Bike

Cool.
Take a look at the V Strom 650 Suzuki. Same excellent motor as the SV.
There are also riser bars for the SV. My SV1000 is a bigger reach than the 650.
I have riser bars " Made in Maine " There are Royal Enfield dealers around if you feel nostalgic. But the 500 single is a bit slow and costly compared to others.

Mrs Snippets just got back from 6 weeks in Ceylon ( Sri Lanka ) and India.

Unkle crusty Snippets*

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, it is an aggressive stance. I have to say though, l have gotten used to it more than l thought l would. That being said, l would still like to do a riser on it.

I would also look at an EX500 (Kawasaki) and a GS500 (Suzuki). They have sport look but are really a standard design. Good power for a first bigger bike as well. Not as much as an SV650 or Ninja 650, but still plenty for the highway. I think they have about 50 horsepower.
hi @Hawkaholic, @BuddyShagmore, @UncleKrusty,

Thank you very much for all your input. I got my bike yesterday. Bought a Yamaha FZ6r. I took a test ride on ninja 650 and the yamaha and liked the yamaha better. Ninja was vibrating a bit more and the yamaha had a smoother throttle and was super comfortable to ride for my height.

Got a bell vortex helmet, joe rocket textile waterproof jacket, boots and alipinestars gloves. All the gear for exactly 500. Got a good sale going on at the local store where i live.

its only been 15 hours and 75 miles, but so far i like my decision.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts