Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody get cramps in their hands or feet from riding? I went for a 2 hour ride and noticed my throttle hand cramping up a bit and my shifting foot. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Hobo

82 Suzuki GS650G

·
Registered
106 Posts
Anybody get cramps in their hands or feet from riding? I went for a 2 hour ride and noticed my throttle hand cramping up a bit and my shifting foot. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Hobo

82 Suzuki GS650G
This also happens to me if I ride for an hour or more without stopping. Everyone I have talked to about it, says that I'm gripping the handlebars way to tight:confused:

·
Out Standing In His Field
581 Posts
Anybody get cramps in their hands or feet from riding? I went for a 2 hour ride and noticed my throttle hand cramping up a bit...
When riding in the colder weather, my gloves have lots of insulation which makes grasping the throttle extra effort, and was experiencing sore hands muscles. To resolve the issue I bought one of the many devices that are nothing more than a plastic paddle that attaches to the outside edge of throttle via a velcro loop that allows you to use just your palm to hold the throttle open. One I know is named the Throttle Boss.

Haven't experienced any feet issues, could be cause I ride a cruiser with floor boards.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sometimes the front of my right shoulder gets sore after riding for a while and I have no idea why. The left shoulder is always fine.

·
Biker for Life
822 Posts
Sometimes the front of my right shoulder gets sore after riding for a while and I have no idea why. The left shoulder is always fine.
Maybe you are sitting slightly twisted on the bike without realising it.
I get cramp in my left hand, but I suffer that even when I am not riding the bike :(

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Yep, it's normal. Sometimes a change in gloves can help...sometimes just getting used to it...also look a product called 'cramp buster' (google search). I gotta get one of them!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I put a throttle lock on any bike I own. When riding along, if I want to take my hand off the grip, it's just the flip of a knob with my thumb and let go!
There are different types available.

Gumby,
I tried Googling the 'Cramp Buster' without success. Any better link info?

CD

·
Member Map
23,909 Posts
I've had my left hip start to cramp a bit a couple of times after riding a long distance. It could be because I'm old.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Maybe you are sitting slightly twisted on the bike without realising it.
I get cramp in my left hand, but I suffer that even when I am not riding the bike :(
Come to think of it the cramp might be from using my muscles to hold the throttle open. Next time I go out for a long ride I'll try readjusting my hand position and check that I'm not sitting on the bike all wonky.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Hey, here's the link to the Cramp Buster: http://www.crampbuster.com/

I installed a Vista Cruise right after I bought my bike, because my right hand was cramping up. Now that I've ridden my bike a year or so, I never use it. I get a crink in my neck, because sometimes I find myself ducking down to avoid bugs! My right leg cramped up for some dumb reason. Then, I bought highway pegs and use them a lot. Now, it's ok.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've had my left hip start to cramp a bit a couple of times after riding a long distance. It could be because I'm old.
Maybe not I'm not old, and I have gotten a cramp right in the joint of my right leg and my hip, it was hard too, but I was just on a joy ride down the street so I just went on home and took a break.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
My right hand gets sore after a while, so I plan on getting a throttle lock so I can switch off relaxing my right and left hands when I'm on the highway. The rest of me is pretty much fine, though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've ridden my CBR F2 for 900 miles and the throttle lock is the way to go for long highway miles. I also suggest getting some decent riding boots for your feet. Stretching probably won't hurt either.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
hobo, after a while, you quit having a death grip on the throttle, and cramps go away. And, your muscles will build up til you don't even think of using the throttle lock. I had a terrible time with that when I first began to ride. I also had my fingers cramp up in my left hand from the clutch, but eventually, that went away, too. If you can, ride an hour or so every day, and all those problems will take care of themselves. (But, I'm still working on breaking in my rear!) :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
The first few days out on my bike I was getting cramped up pretty fast and my hands felt like I had arthritis or something when I'd get done. Now it's much better. I rode for an hour yesterday and when I got done I felt fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts