Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not been able to find any riding boots that are vented/perforated for some airflow and also wide (E) or even better yet double wide (EE) width.

Also not looking for spaceman looking boots; just black would be fine.

Is it true that such a riding boot doesn't even exist?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Nope. I have a pair of HD branded boots that I picked up in a local surplus shoe store. They were only about a hundred bucks and are very nice to use for riding. No way would I recommend them for walking. If I want to be comfortable after I get off the bike I carry some other shoes in my saddlebags.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Boots, eh?

Start with a search in Amazon.com (of course) for "Men's EE Motorcycle Boots" and see what you get. I just perused the "Men's Motorcycle Boots" query, and it was at LEAST 10 pages long!

Finding "EE" size is going to be sorta tough, but not impossible.

I bought two different pairs. One that is more "dressy" that goes with my "Dress Code" at work, (and can be worn fairly comfortable all day).

The other pair is a pair from a HD Store that are more traditional in style. Not very comfortable to walk around in, just because they are a tad "heavy."

"Ventilation" might be more possible with a boot that zips up on one or both sides of your ankle, but that defeats the purpose of "protecting" your ankle if you raise the pant leg and unzip any or all zippers.

I haven't seen any boots that have ventilation holes as such. I suppose you might find some, but ..........

In the end, "comfort" is secondary to protection on some level.

-Soupy

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I second the idea that basic HD Engineer boots work pretty well.
I like them a lot because they are lace-up, and I can adjust the tension in the laces to get a good firm pressure on my feet - without being too tight. Some people complain about the time it takes to do laces. In my opinion, its not much extra time, and those are the boots I WANT to have on my feet in an emergency. they wont get dragged off by the asphalt (if you slide during an accident).

the one thing I would say against the regular HD's ... the soles can be pretty slippery. mainly if you plant them down on freeway surfaces that have just got a coating of light rain. man, those HD's boots will skate just like ice skates. thats because of the water/oil mixture on the road surface. But I couldnt honestly tell ya if another kind of boot has a better sole.

I do have a pair of zip-up boots (Tornadoes). pretty comfortable. the zips are nice - easy to take the boots off and get them on. but in a real emergency, I think it's possible those boots could get dragged off my legs by the asphalt (if Im sliding).

I dont have any boots with airflow. I have ridden in temps up to 110 degrees. I regularly ride in 90-95 degrees ... just did last weekend. I have never felt that my feet are overheating. OTHER parts of my body - Heck YES!!! but never my feet :)

good luck,
dT

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a couple of different options to use, none vented and I have also been out in 90+ degree temps, my feet were the last part I worried about being overheated. Buy whatever fits and is comfortable with the level of protection you seek.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Personally, Id just buy a pair of work boots. Those HD boots are little more than black work boots with the Harley shield on them. $100 for them isnt a bad deal though, although Id never own a pair of boots with the HD logo on them...
I have the same problem with needed wide boots and although Id love to have a pair of sportbike boots, they dont exist in wide width, so Im down to work boots.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
You can search the internet for mesh or ventilated boots. Usually they are of the "shortie" style, but still cover the ankles and offer reasonable protection while allowing for some airflow. I have used my Icon Tarmac Ventilated boots for the last six or seven years and they keep my feet fairly comfortable both for riding and walking around.

I have found that Icon and some other brands are fairly narrow, so I buy a full size larger than my shoe size because I need a D width. If you buy from a good source, returning boots for the correct size to fit you is not too difficult. I have bought from Revzilla and from Motorcycle Superstore with good results on returns.

Right now, in fact, I am awaiting getting the new Icon summer boot, which looks more like an athletic shoe than a boot but does offer motorcycling protection. My problem is that my size is out of stock everywhere but I will wait until it is available and just keep using my old beat-up boots in the meantime.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
You can search the internet for mesh or ventilated boots. Usually they are of the "shortie" style, but still cover the ankles and offer reasonable protection while allowing for some airflow. I have used my Icon Tarmac Ventilated boots for the last six or seven years and they keep my feet fairly comfortable both for riding and walking around.

I have found that Icon and some other brands are fairly narrow, so I buy a full size larger than my shoe size because I need a D width. If you buy from a good source, returning boots for the correct size to fit you is not too difficult. I have bought from Revzilla and from Motorcycle Superstore with good results on returns.

Right now, in fact, I am awaiting getting the new Icon summer boot, which looks more like an athletic shoe than a boot but does offer motorcycling protection. My problem is that my size is out of stock everywhere but I will wait until it is available and just keep using my old beat-up boots in the meantime.
Are the Tarmac available in D width? If they arent, buying a bigger size isnt going to help you if you need a wide. Trust me, I tried and simply buying the proper size in a wide width is MUCH better than simply going a size or 2 bigger.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I use whats called Interceptor from WalMart, $42, almost identical to a pair sold by Harley for $100, mesh sides(more mesh on the walmart version), lace up and zipper, normal size tongue(which is getting harder to find).

Of course this boot sucks in the rain, and cold weather. Thought about getting a pair of boot rain covers.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Rain-Boots/Xelement-Rain-Boot-Covers/5163564.html
Yeah, those shoes you get at Wal-Mart arent much. Ive gone that route before and found you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I use whats called Interceptor from WalMart, $42, almost identical to a pair sold by Harley for $100, mesh sides(more mesh on the walmart version), lace up and zipper, normal size tongue(which is getting harder to find).

Of course this boot sucks in the rain, and cold weather. Thought about getting a pair of boot rain covers.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Rain-Boots/Xelement-Rain-Boot-Covers/5163564.html
This is what i use! nice boots. I don't even mind working in them through out the day. I don't have issues with them in the rain though

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
This is what i use! nice boots. I don't even mind working in them through out the day. I don't have issues with them in the rain though
With forward control pegs you get a lot of splash from the front wheel. The only time I've been in the rain with floorboards I was wearing different boots, it may not be a problem with floorboards.

Yes they are nice all around boots.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Any boot that allows for significant airflow, and therefore are comfortable in really hot weather, will not be good for riding in the rain. You could stop and put on boot covers, or you could just decide that getting your feet soaked occasionally is a worthwhile price to pay for having comfortable hot weather boots. Yesterday I was caught in a horrendous downpour for most of the 30 miles coming home from the dealer. I literally poured water out of my boots , and every bit of me was soaking wet. By today everything is dry and ready to wear again. If you are going to ride for most of the year, you really need more than one pair of boots.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a pair of Vietnam re-issue boots at my local Army/Navy store. They are leather with cloth on the laces. Breath excellent they do.

·
Shut up and Ride!
904 Posts
I have a pair of Jesse James Outlaw work boots that I swear are the most comfortable pair of shoes/boots I've ever owned. They are slightly ventilated, which feel nice while riding and are also my everyday boot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts