Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new guy here at the beach, presently working on my 82 sr250 which I bought spring 2014 and exploded late autumn 2014. Yea had to rebuild most of it. Before her I only owned Honda
old Hondas, my favourite ride was a 72 Scrambler until I discovered this Yammy. Have been fortunate to have always found motorcycles for under a grand to commute around. I did own a 85 v30 magna that I rode long distances with when I lived in California. Before the Yammy exploded the furthest I'd ridden her was to Richmond but thats another story. I do wish I could meet other small, old bike enthusiasts here. I had no experience working on motorcycles most I've ever done is change brake shoes and cables, oil and fuses. Not much ever needed done before this girl exploded. I can now frankly say that I know her insides better than mine. She isn't performing as well as she can and I'll keep at it until she does after all, all of her parts are brand new except for the cylinder head which I found on ebay. It may not be a big deal to some of y0u but I ride all the time and because I needed her to commute and couldnt find a replacement this past winter I left to NYC where not having your own transportation does not mean you cant make it to work. I worked to pay for all of her parts and returned on my days off to work on her. She is looking good too hopefully I can make a better looking seat for her soon. It has been fun and frustrating at the same time, meaning after she was rebuilt and polished up her performance was lackluster... I have questions which I'll post eventually and hope someone out there knows what it is that ails my dirty girl. Yea Im not a fourwheeler in fact I couldnt even afford an automobile if I wanted too. Im a simple adventurer who doesnt stress out over unnecessary matters. Pay my bills work and ride and surf and drink. I have travelled all over the continent and overseas. I have lived here at the beach for about 2 years and it is a good city to ride but it does lack culture. Its mostly designed for the married lot.
Alright apologies for going on and on...and on

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
Doesn't look like you will be short on words to contribute.:D

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,844 Posts
Welcome aboard

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your questions and help you out.

·
Gone.
17,857 Posts
Virginia Beach lacks culture and is for married people? Dude, seriously, you need to get out more!

Welcome from Daytona Beach. (Which has even less culture.:biggrin:)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Well,I am not exactly small, but many of my bikes are. Four of them are 360 cc or smaller. Six of them are from the 1970's. Oh,and I am old as well,from the '50's

·
American Legion Rider
21,205 Posts
50's???? Your not old. Your on the cusp of elder statesman.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, I will now proceed to post some questions in regards to the performance of my sr250. Reckon I should do this now before the weather changes for the best and you're all too busy riding and having fun on your roads. I do need to get out more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha, youre probably right although i never go past 70 on my girl. Shes too cute and likes to be seen...In fact, if i wanted to go any faster I'd have to get at least a 400. Thanks, I have questions abou tyres any suggestions as to whom i may reach out to?

·
Commute Racer
2,225 Posts
I order mine from revzilla or motorcycle superstore, and when they arrive I take the wheel off the bike and the new tire to the dealer and they mount and balance for $20.

·
lost
1,106 Posts
$20 ain't a bad price for mount and balance on a tire. If you don't plan on doing them regularly (dirt bikes or multiple bike disorder) that is way cheaper than getting the tools to do the job without breaking your back.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts