Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a naked bike tomorrow and will love to know if the same sport riding techniques are applicable to it. Do I lean my body as much? Leaning the bike over as well to the point if it scrapes? Etc etc anyone with experience from a street bike to a naked or vice versa your two cents will be appreciated

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
I wouldn't think there is a whole lot of difference. Are you an experienced rider? If not, l think it should be some time before you are trying to scrape the pegs anyway...if you want to live :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't think there is a whole lot of difference. Are you an experienced rider? If not, l think it should be some time before you are trying to scrape the pegs anyway...if you want to live

Lol no I'm not as experienced as I'd like to be now I'm just trying to see if riding techniques are the same on a sport bike as they are on a naked

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
14,370 Posts
The principle is the same on all bikes. The object is to learn the bike you are riding and how to use your body position to keep the bike from scraping.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
I have not tried, nor will I likely, ride naked on my bike!!

-Soupy

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Alright, we are all messing with you now :)

In fairness to your question, there isn't that much of a difference from one bike to the next. Essentially a naked bike is (in most cases) pretty much a sport bike without all the fairings, windscreen, etc. You will likely notice more wind at higher speeds and you may have more of an upright seating position.

When l ride, l try to stay focused, scan the road, watch and take notice of things...a car just popped up on the right, a pedestrian wants to cross ahead, this oncoming car is turning left ahead.Staying focused keeps me in great control of my bike, so that when it comes time to corner, l am able to really maneuver through the corner well, see it through, give it the proper lean, and accelerate out of it smoothly. Practice cornering smoothly first and then it will become habit. When it is habit, then you can increase your speed and, ultimately, your lean. I am not a great rider yet...my chicken strips are still 1", down from 2" when l bought the bike last August.

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I always have chicken strips......
Most times i'm out touring.....
Not that i'm chicken.....
Just way older now n not in best of shape...
NNnnn i heal a lot slower when i do break something....

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
What kind of naked bike? Are you talking about a naked 1980 CB750 or do you mean a modern naked bike?

As stated, the same principles apply...for the most part. You can't "flick" an older naked style bike into a corner like you can a sport bike and you cant achieve anywhere near the same amount of lean angle. So if that's what youre buying then there are huge differences. Now if youre buying a naked version of the BMW S1000rr, then yes, the same principles apply. Keep in mind though that many naked bikes are not built to handle the same degree of riding as a full-on sportbike. Most have softer and less performing suspensions for starters.

·
Premium Member
8,987 Posts
Naked

On a sport bike it is best to stay centered and lean with the bike.
The sport bikes with less rake will turn in easier, so it is best to be willing to lean the bike and your bod. The tyres also encourage you to be willing to lean.

On a naked bike, assuming it is a more upright position, and the bike has more front end rake. You can ride one of two styles.
Lean the bike over they way you would ride a dirt bike, while your body stays more upright. Or lean with the bike.

Either way, a sport bike is more willing to lean, and you need to be too.

There could be some variation to what I have written, based on the year and model of the bikes.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Justa anutta Human......
728 Posts
I removed the fairing last spring on my Ninja 650 to do some repairs n paint them including the windscreen.
I took the bike for a couple hour ride that day instead of doing the repairs cause it was nice.
U don't realize just how much those small fairings, and the small windscreen block the wind till u go without.
I keep them on......its that much a difference...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts