Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding into work this morning 8 Montgomery County COPS picked me up on the ICC (MD 200) and we rode all the way together until eventually I broke off going right and they went left. Heres a quick pic I took at a light.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
There are two PO's in our Church that I associate with. Great guys!! They ride bikes as well. We've been on rides together.

In our church parking lot, there are marked lines of course, and then, near the door, is a corner section that has multiple lines going thru it, and is just big enough for my bike.

Last Sunday I parked there on that little corner piece, and one of the PO's in attendance that day said to me, (with a smile) "you know you are parked illegally, right?!" (Technically, he was correct of course).

My response, "Hey wait a minute.........I thought you had no jurisdiction over private parking lots?!" (He laughed too).

I remember (in fact, I may have commented about it in a former posting in here) taking a ride thru CT with one of these PO's on a day that he was not "on duty." There was a "Right on Red" situation that I took advantage of, without coming to a "legal stop" (foot down). When he caught up to me at the next Red Light, he said, "You know that wasn't a "legal stop" back there, right?!"

"Yep," I said, "you would have been right in giving me a ticket." (He agreed, with a smile).

-Soupy

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
Does the law say you have to put a foot down or come to a complete stop? Either can be done without the other since they aren't exclusive.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
"lol" Eye. Since I was riding (technically) "with" him, yes.

Dods: Ya know.......it's interesting! I have been looking at that, searching for the facts about a "legal stop," and I can't tell you that I have found the actual "Law" that states that a foot needs to be down.

However, that said, take Wisconsin Law (as an example); The operative definition comes from 340.01 which defines STOP:

(62) “Stop” when required means complete cessation from
movement."

I suppose you'd have to show that a motorcycle teetering on it's wheels is in a complete cessation of movement condition.

Having LIVED in Wisconsin as a child, I must be kind to my fellow cheese-heads, but here's another oddity in Wisconsin's motorcycle laws.......

Did you know that it was "legal" (as of 2006) in Wisconsin to "run a red light?" (Good way to get yourself KILLED of course, but nonetheless.....)

"A 2006 state statute says motorcyclists and bicyclists can go through red lights if they believe traffic signals aren't picking up their presence, if the intersection is free of cross traffic and if they've waited at least 45 seconds."

Interestingly enough, "Lane Splitting" is ILLEGAL in our State, but a motorcycle CAN travel in an HOV Lane.

-Soupy

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
You can go through a red light on a motorcycle here in Illinois after waiting the appropriate amount of time and if it can be done safely. This cannot be done in Cook County because the law is based on population.

Many states have written this into the vehicle code because of stop light sensors that do not recognize motorcycles.

Here's the CT vehicle code:

http://cga.ct.gov/2011/pub/chap248.htm

They don't have the proceed through red law there yet.

·
American Legion Rider
23,631 Posts
So because the law "says so" if you are only just stopped and a guy texting is about to rear end you, you are supposed to wait the appropriate amount of time first before getting the heck out of there. Do I have that correct? Remember, you want to legal now!:D

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
So because the law "says so" if you are only just stopped and a guy texting is about to rear end you, you are supposed to wait the appropriate amount of time first before getting the heck out of there. Do I have that correct? Remember, you want to legal now!:D
I think an exception would be made for avoiding a crash and the rider would not be cited. They might get a ticket if they caused another crash while avoiding a potential one. Say if while avoiding the rear end they pulled out into traffic and were t-boned.

It pays to stay alert and have a safe escape path.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Section 14-289 seems to be the more directly related to Motorcycles in that document you linked to Dods. I have to say I DIDN'T spot (at least at a quick glance) a part that was directly connected to "stopping" in terms of the Legal definition. It may be there, and I just missed it.

Another Forum Moderator, states: "Stop means full stop, check traffic, and do not proceed until it is safe to do so. There are no exceptions in any vehicle code that I am aware of. Failure to come to a full stop and or proceeding before it is safe to do so is reason for a citation. Failure to put ones foot down is viewed by many traffic police officers as sufficient reason to issue a ticket. Far too many riders performing a "no foot down stop" are committed to "go" without checking traffic adequately. The foot down at a stop, double check traffic before proceeding is a desirable practice to minimize risk of a crash and/or a citation."

From: http://www.msgroup.org/forums/mtt/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10498

One of the vague things that needs addressing in that document info you presented, is the use of the word "Highway" (although various Sections in that Document refer to conditions that are not found "typically" on "Highways").

Here in CT, when we speak of the "Highway," we are talking about roads that have no Stop Signs (except at some on ramps). "Secondary Roads," are those that have Stop Lights, and travel thru towns.

-Soupy

·
Gone
23,907 Posts
There's a difference between slowing down and actually stopping. It legally has nothing to do with the feet. Someone could roll through a stop sign and drag their feet a bit before taking off and it would still not be a legal stop just because their feet touched the pavement. Conversely, if someone had good balance (or was riding a 3-wheeled motorcycle) and completely stopped for 5 seconds with their feet still on the pegs, that would be considered a legal stop.

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
In the one case, I think I remember it said something about stopping for 45 seconds, and then you could proceed.

Heck! If I'm going to sit there for 45 seconds, I might as well wait out the dang light!!

-Soupy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts