Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
ZAMM Fanatic
2,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You get into Albuquerque traffic, Palm Springs, San Diego, or Phoenix and you've got six lanes of traffic often moving at 75-85 mph, and usually a few vehicles doing 90 or better in the fast or HOV lanes.

LEO's, if you ever see one, are doing 5-10mph over the limit as well, and are typically surrounded by a well-behaved "bubble" of cars and trucks.

Meanwhile, out on the so-called "Interstates" where traffics a lot lighter, and there's NOTHING to hit but bushes and trees, or a well-engineered berm, and the Highway Patrols are VICIOUSLY enforcing the 65 +7mph limit.

Isn't this completely AZZ-BACKWARDS? Shouldn't speeds out in the middle of nowhere be 85-95 mph and traffic IN TOWN fiercely enforced at 75+ZERO!

Or has speeding enforcement, in YOUR humble opinion, become nothing more than revenue collection?

·
So long
2,753 Posts
Sounds right to me. As long as drivers maintain buffers and are not driving erratically it's safer to not pull them over on crowded highways during commuting hours. Out on the wide open highways traffic stops pose less risk to drivers and officers.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
If you were right the posted limits out on those roads would be higher than near a large town. It seems the folks who post speed limits do not agree with your evaluation of the lack of hazards on the open highway.

·
Driftless Rider
1,486 Posts
The biggest issue with urban freeways is that there is seldom a safe place to pull anyone over. The roads are enclosed with concrete barriers, there is no shoulder and few turnouts.
Cops and drivers know this and drive accordingly.

Speed limits in many cases could be higher, but with most drivers texting, talking, eating, and doing everything else EXCEPT driving; what can you expect.

·
Registered
626 Posts
A bit off-topic here, but what really bothers me are those well-enforced 55mph limits in the wide-open high desert areas of E. Oregon. The only reason I ride through those parts is they have some great scenery, and were paths to other destinations. But I've got to chill out on those LONG, 55mph stretches with almost no traffic.:icon_mad:

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
James Dean

They may be James Dean fans, and he was killed on one of those hardly used roads in the middle of nowhere. He was speeding, made a curving left turn in front of an on coming vehicle that was bigger and heavier.

Unkle Crusty*

·
Nightfly
3,720 Posts
More fatal motorcycle accidents occur on those curvy back roads that everyone says they prefer to ride than on than the high speed slabs. I too enjoy the occasional trip on back roads, but I do find high speeds on the interstate more invigorating and safer riding over all. Poking along and taking in the scenery is not conducive to safer riding as everyone seems to think. I believe we're inclined to focus more clearly when are senses are on edge rather than thinking how wonderful the air smells and looking at the scenery. Not that there's anything wrong with that....

·
Registered
267 Posts
You get into Albuquerque traffic, Palm Springs, San Diego, or Phoenix and you've got six lanes of traffic often moving at 75-85 mph, and usually a few vehicles doing 90 or better in the fast or HOV lanes.

LEO's, if you ever see one, are doing 5-10mph over the limit as well, and are typically surrounded by a well-behaved "bubble" of cars and trucks.

Meanwhile, out on the so-called "Interstates" where traffics a lot lighter, and there's NOTHING to hit but bushes and trees, or a well-engineered berm, and the Highway Patrols are VICIOUSLY enforcing the 65 +7mph limit.

Isn't this completely AZZ-BACKWARDS? Shouldn't speeds out in the middle of nowhere be 85-95 mph and traffic IN TOWN fiercely enforced at 75+ZERO!

Or has speeding enforcement, in YOUR humble opinion, become nothing more than revenue collection?

I have done considerable research on this topic. Except for the smallest of towns with little other source of revenue, traffic enforcement is not a money making operation.

·
Ace Tuner
1,745 Posts
I have done considerable research on this topic. Except for the smallest of towns with little other source of revenue, traffic enforcement is not a money making operation.
I case you're ever up west of Houston on I 10, watch out for Waller county. (Same for the county back roads).
The DA, Judge and Police are ALL in on the money making scam in that county.
They'll give you a bogus ticket and your day in court is a joke to say the least!

No research, just considerable experience on this topic. DEEP East Texas is the same in my experience.
Do not protest a bogus ticket on the side of the road, it's my understanding they like to 'resist arrest you' out there.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
While speed limit is a safety issue, the bigger safety issue is going with the flow of traffic. If you are on a crowded highway and the flow of traffic is 80mph then you should be traveling around 80mph.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I case you're ever up west of Houston on I 10, watch out for Waller county. (Same for the county back roads).
The DA, Judge and Police are ALL in on the money making scam in that county.
They'll give you a bogus ticket and your day in court is a joke to say the least!

No research, just considerable experience on this topic. DEEP East Texas is the same in my experience.
Do not protest a bogus ticket on the side of the road, it's my understanding they like to 'resist arrest you' out there.
You mention Waller County, the DA and police and "judge" I can do the research there, but the police do not file in the county courts, nor does the DA prosecute tickets written by the police, and to which "judge" are you referring? Waller has 4 JPs, a county and district court, and there are many towns in Waller county, each with their own municipal court.

Tickets written by city cops are heard in the municipal courts of those towns. County deputies and DPS write them in the JP courts. The "DA" is not even involved unless a guilty verdict at the petit court level is appealed to county court.

I can tell you that for Katy, the fines collected by ALL of the municipal court (including code violations, fire dept, etc., ) is a fraction of the total city revenue, and the PD traffic enforcement budget exceeds that amount.

So....I guess I miss your point.

·
Ace Tuner
1,745 Posts
You mention Waller County, the DA and police and "judge" I can do the research there, but the police do not file in the county courts, nor does the DA prosecute tickets written by the police, and to which "judge" are you referring? Waller has 4 JPs, a county and district court, and there are many towns in Waller county, each with their own municipal court.

Tickets written by city cops are heard in the municipal courts of those towns. County deputies and DPS write them in the JP courts. The "DA" is not even involved unless a guilty verdict at the petit court level is appealed to county court.

I can tell you that for Katy, the fines collected by ALL of the municipal court (including code violations, fire dept, etc., ) is a fraction of the total city revenue, and the PD traffic enforcement budget exceeds that amount.

So....I guess I miss your point.
Good, do some research.

A man that said he was from the DA's office was there at my so called court date.
Only thing was my "court date's" only purpose was to set a court date at a latter date. And yes it was a JP, not a judge.
The DA rep offered me a deal to pay em money and get deferred adjudication on the bogus ticket.
I took the deal as I could not keep taking off work for their run-around kangaroo court.
Like I said, scam.
It was the south part of Waller county near I 10, so whatever municipal court covers that area is it.
The ticket? The county deputy clocked a bike about 150 yards up ahead of me and said we were going the same speed, WE WERE NOT!
He told us he didn't like us riding on "his roads". I call his type motorcycle bigots.

But it was not limited to motorcycle riders. I was waiting in line at my "court date" with about ten others.
You should have heard the truck driver (in before us) yelling about his string of tickets he got on I 10 all in one stop.
He called it malicious prosecution. They finally closed the door as it was loud and we could all hear it.

This happened several years back. But best I can tell, nothing has changed. (Ever watch the Houston area news)?
Sounds like you're connected with law enforcement in some way.
Please do not misunderstand, I have the highest regard for honest LEO's and the judicial system. Just don't like crooks of any color.

Get the point?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Living in Albuquerque for a little over ten years, I travel the freeways often when working.
Rarely will you see a city or other police car with radar sitting on the side of the freeway.
In town I have had two run in's with city police.
First time was my wife broke down in the left turn lane. A lady officer got her pushed off to a safe place to park and stayed with her until help "me" arrived.
Second time I got confused and turned on to a one way road down town going the wrong way.
Officer asked if I had been drinking and then blocked traffic so that I could turn around with my big work van.
They have been very helpful to me, in awkward situations. I want to again thank them.

If you listen to the news, we have a budget for about 1k officers, constantly run with about 900 and always looking for more.
So they are short handed and very bus,y and do not spend a whole lot of time on traffic control.
Mainly school zones and occasional surprise dui check points.

But outside the city limits, who knows what the county and state officers are doing.

·
Ace Tuner
1,745 Posts
I should say I have a fast bike and get to visit with an officer on the side of the road from time to time. (I always stop for my ticket BTW).
99.9% of the time they are professional, honest, fair and square. I always treat them with the respect they deserve.
A couple of odd bad ones does not mean anything really. Most are trustworthy and even helpful.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Good, do some research.

A man that said he was from the DA's office was there at my so called court date.
Only thing was my "court date's" only purpose was to set a court date at a latter date. And yes it was a JP, not a judge.
The DA rep offered me a deal to pay em money and get deferred adjudication on the bogus ticket.
I took the deal as I could not keep taking off work for their run-around kangaroo court.
Like I said, scam.
It was the south part of Waller county near I 10, so whatever municipal court covers that area is it.
The ticket? The county deputy clocked a bike about 150 yards up ahead of me and said we were going the same speed, WE WERE NOT!
He told us he didn't like us riding on "his roads". I call his type motorcycle bigots.

But it was not limited to motorcycle riders. I was waiting in line at my "court date" with about ten others.
You should have heard the truck driver (in before us) yelling about his string of tickets he got on I 10 all in one stop.
He called it malicious prosecution. They finally closed the door as it was loud and we could all hear it.

This happened several years back. But best I can tell, nothing has changed. (Ever watch the Houston area news)?
Sounds like you're connected with law enforcement in some way.
Please do not misunderstand, I have the highest regard for honest LEO's and the judicial system. Just don't like crooks of any color.

Get the point?

No, I don't get the point, other than you got a ticket you don't think you deserved. you clearly don't understand the organization of Texas and local government. Your account does not makes sense.

Your confusion does not mean anyone is running a scam.

I am in private business.

·
Ace Tuner
1,745 Posts
No, I don't get the point, other than you got a ticket you don't think you deserved. you clearly don't understand the organization of Texas and local government. Your account does not makes sense.

Whatever, you're the expert........

·
Swamp Rat Rider
1,858 Posts
Have been through Several Big Cities that if didn't do at least 10+ over the Speed Limit would literally get run over .. Will just use one for example taking the HOV through Atlanta which is either 55-60 MPH, if hadn't done 80 MPH would have been steamrolled over .. After a couple of Illegal passes made by Cagers to pass me from the right hand lane and cut back in even though were double lined and not supposed to do this got the message .. Since then if they want to run 80-85 MPH .. I can do that quite well ..

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was driving on 294 North around Alsip Il going about 75 mph in left lane and little traffic. A car was behind me so just moved to the right lane since did not want to go any faster. It was a state trooper. There is some flexibility here. The troopers here do a very good job. They catch the crazy weavers doing 100+ cars and mc and the reason for many accidents. I think it is 65 on that road but can't find a sign. I call it the INDY 500.

·
American Legion Rider
18,626 Posts
You are welcome to try that in Oklahoma.:D Or Arizona for that matter. My two speeding tickets. :coffeescreen:

·
Ace Tuner
1,745 Posts

Funny, I just came across this post again.
On some other thread I learned you are/were a cop. Now I understand your need to claim I'm confused. :p
I suspected as much. lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts