Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I passed my BRC today. It was tough too. The frigging box U-turn was a nightmare. But that part is over now. I am glad I took it though, a lot of what we were taught would be painful to learn on your own. Now its time to get a bike, take to the neighborhood and learn some more.

·
Female Rider
9,311 Posts
Congratulations to you! The Box was horrible for me too. Now you know why we so highly recommend the course. They teach you to always be searching for danger and an escape route. To me that is even more priceless than just the basic riding skills.

·
Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,785 Posts
Congrats, and welcome to the club. Continue to practice especially anything you had a problem with, like the Uturns in the box

·
Aging & Worn
4,516 Posts
Special congrats for doing it the RIGHT way, by taking the BRC first. Have you had any experience on two wheels with a motor between your legs, OUTSIDE of the BRC? (Like riding dirt bikes in the fields, or whatever).

The kind of bike you buy should be determined by what you want to DO with your bike. Are you looking for a bike to commute back-n-forth to work on? Are you looking forward to riding trails? Are you only looking for a bike to do long distance rides (more than 100 miles one way, let's say)?

Start there, and then let's talk more about what bike. It's such a subjective decision.

The way a bike looks (what is your "dream" bike like?), the way it performs (speed, endurance, ease of use), all are things to think about.

Are you stuck with "brand envy" (like when folks get the Harley Davidson disease) for any particular bike?

How does your "dream" bike fit into your budget? What can you afford (realistically) without sacrificing your soul to get it?

Just some random questions to be pondering.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Before the class I had no experience at all on a motorcycle. I grew up on 4 wheelers but nothing on 2 wheels. I did have a 5hp mini bike when I was 12 or so. I rode a Kawasaki Eliminator 125 for the class. Cool little bike but very small.

The bike I am looking for will be a commuter, back and forth to work but with experience I would like to take longer rides. I need something manageable for my skill level and experience. I am 5' 10" so that is a factor too. I would love to be able to put both feet down for a while. No brand envy but I am not at all into sport bikes. Cruisers and standard bikes are appealing to me. I really like the S40. I think that bike would fit all of my needs. It seems to have enough power to do longer rides but not too much to kill me starting off. The Shadow line and V-Stars are nice too. Unfortunately my budget is around 2 grand. I have been looking on craigslist and other sites. Sport bikes for days $1500 to $1700. Not many cruisers at that price. Any other suggestions would be appreciated though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thanks. Before the class I had no experience at all on a motorcycle. I grew up on 4 wheelers but nothing on 2 wheels. I did have a 5hp mini bike when I was 12 or so. I rode a Kawasaki Eliminator 125 for the class. Cool little bike but very small.

The bike I am looking for will be a commuter, back and forth to work but with experience I would like to take longer rides. I need something manageable for my skill level and experience. I am 5' 10" so that is a factor too. I would love to be able to put both feet down for a while. No brand envy but I am not at all into sport bikes. Cruisers and standard bikes are appealing to me. I really like the S40. I think that bike would fit all of my needs. It seems to have enough power to do longer rides but not too much to kill me starting off. The Shadow line and V-Stars are nice too. Unfortunately my budget is around 2 grand. I have been looking on craigslist and other sites. Sport bikes for days $1500 to $1700. Not many cruisers at that price. Any other suggestions would be appreciated though.
Congrats! If you like the S40, take a look at a Kawi Vulcan 500. A bit more power and speed while being very beginner friendly. You can probably find one in your budget.

·
12,785 Posts
Hint: You will always want to be able to get both feet on the ground

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congrats on completing the BRC. I was like you, I had minimal experience before taking that course and having taken the course has prepared me to ride safe and within my limits. As stated above the best thing that you could pull from that course is always look ahead and have an escape plan. I ride a yamaha v star 1100 right now but I did test ride a couple of vulcan's as well as the suzuki s50 and s83. All of them were pretty good bikes and beginner friendly. Good luck on your search and keep us updated on what you pick up.

·
12,785 Posts
Nice looking bike, enjoy it

·
Registered
228 Posts
Way to go doing it right is always the best way. When you buy make sure you get a bike that fits you. You can always rent a few at different size.

Sorry didn't see the picture of that great looking bike. Be safe and enjoy

·
So long
2,739 Posts
Congrats on your new Rebel. You got a great deal on it, assuming it's in good shape.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts