Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· S Rank
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a nice guy that comes to my work location every Thursday. He says he wants to learn to ride. He's older and a bit afraid about it. He watches my YouTube. Today he commented, "You really like to ride around just to ride around don't you?" He was asking if riding is really that fun that you can just ride around for hours without any location or destination in mind. I told him I ride to get where I'm going, but yea I can just ride for the fun of it.

My coworker rides in good weather. Recently in that 60 degrees he took his lady on his bike to a diner. With good weather being so sparce in NJ atm I was surprised to hear that even he wouldn't just be out for the fun of it.

How about you guys? How much of your riding is just for the fun of it with no particular place to go?

Personally, I commute on bike so other than that I would rather just be riding for the fun of it. If I get a nice day to go riding I'm not parking my bike in the diner parking lot. Unless I really need to eat obviously...then maybe I'll get something quick at Taco Bell.

· Retired twice: Navy and as a govt contractor
12,410 Posts
All rides are for the hell of it. Don't work so I don't commute.

Reactions: Herrick

· Registered
418 Posts
I commute, including in rain. Today it was raining and windy and people thought I was nuts. Rode home very carefully. Got soaked, because I did not bring the rain suit. Oops. My mistake. Soggy boots, soggy pants, soggy me.

The machine is fine, and I understand that traction is not that bad in the wet, provided the roads are clean. As for wind, a 750 pound bike with a 63 inch wheelbase just doesn't blow around much. But, being cold and soaked just isn't that fun. I probably would not just go for a ride for fun in the rain.

· Registered
11 Posts
I ride strictly for pleasure. A good head clearing thing for me. I avoid the rain, and super hot weather. Most of my rides are a spirited coastal ride, and I try to get a couple long multi day trips a year. I feel great after just a couple hour ride to feel the wind and smell the outdoors. Nothing like it.

· Administrator - American Legion Rider - KA5LRS
22,558 Posts
You mean the snow actually melts up there in a good year? :grin:

· Registered
730 Posts
30 years ago I commuted 60 miles each day, rain or shine, hot or cold (unless ice was around), 5 days a week -- on a Kawasaki 250. I won't say I was tougher then, but I sure was younger! In those days, probably 75% of my riding was the commute -- but that still left a good bit of "ride for the heck of it" time. These days, I really don't have any situations where I don't have an option to the bike, so just about all riding is for the heck of it. Even with the crummy winter weather so far I am riding somewhere between 30 and 60 miles at least one or two days per week with no reason on earth except the enjoyment of it.

· Visionary
5,650 Posts
Most of the year I commute on my bike, 125 a day, rain or shine, hot or cold, just about anything but ice and snow. It turns an annoying trip into something I look forward to.
When I have time I ride for fun, usually I’ll dream up a destination just to have a quasi purpose but it’s really about the ride, not the burgers from 500 miles away that are just a bit better than the local ones :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CANTSiR

· Registered
1,145 Posts
I usually ride for fun and enjoy picking spots on maps that look interesting and just going.

My commute is only about 5 miles, i.e. just enough time to get po'd at some drivers and then be at work. I will commute when the weather isn't bad, just to save a bit on gas...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.