Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On October 1 last year I was the unlucky recipient of a t-bone from a “lady” driving a Dodge Durango. I was almost through an intersection when she decided to make a very quick left turn into me and my beloved motorcycle. She totaled the bike and almost me as well. I am actually going in for another surgery related to the accident today that I have had to wait a year for. If I had attempted the surgery earlier in my recovery my orthopedic surgeon told me I would not have made it out of the operating room alive.

I may have been down but I am not out. Like the Phoenix rising out of the ashes, I am the rider rising from the carnage of a wreck and am longing for the feel of that steel horse under me thundering down the black top.

So I have a question. For my next bike I am looking for quick acceleration from a stop with great roll on acceleration at highway speeds coupled with incredible comfort for those long distance rides all in a touring package. The bike, due to my injuries cannot be of the sport touring variety. I am therefore limited to a Kawasaki Voyager, Yamaha Venture, Victory Cross County or Vision, or a full dress Harley. These will have to be used as the accident and resulting time away from my business has forced me to rebuild my business from scratch. How do the bikes mentioned above stack up against each other meeting my criteria? How does the Yamaha 1300 v-4 stack up to the v-twins? I also need to take into account reliability and cost of maintenance.

Any and all suggestions / advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Ride like they don't see you and stay safe.

TCMJim

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
it sounds like you would be better off on a cruiser - where you could sit in a more relaxed style.

Harley used to have bikes with lower power ratings (some may object to that), but they have been increasing the engine size on their bikes in the last couple of years. if you are willing to pay the extra $$ - you'll find more horsepower.

have you also looked at bikes like the Yamaha Stryker and Raider, and the Victory Judge. Look around - those bikes will have higher torque. I ride a Raider and the darn thing is a torque monster - tons of torque at low end rpm's.

To be honest though, you are probably focusing too much on the specific scenario that put you down. Chances are ... you will not have that problem again. And its just as much a combination of "awareness" and "timing" as it is straight acceleration. Timing of your moves on the bike is a more critical factor than the straight acceleration response.

Anyway - best of luck to you and glad to see you getting out there again!!

dT

·
American Legion Rider
18,651 Posts
When I had my accident almost three years ago now and 8 surgeries later, I was not that concerned with acceleration. The right gear is everything there. But I decided if I got that close again to the grim reaper I wanted to be on the bike I wanted. Period.

It maybe that I already know just exactly how well a Harley can actually be handled but at the time, the only bike that truly fit me was a Harley. That's what I would look at. What REALLY fits you.

Any bike in the right gear can squirt. It's up to you to be in that gear. I'm always playing with the gears. I don't depend on horsepower. That's me though. Sit and ride those bikes. You'll know when you hit the right one. JMO

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Glad you made it out of that alive and as alright as you can be. And I'm glad that you have decided to get back up on the Iron Horse and ride it again. But don't let that accident rule the rest of your riding. If you dwell on it, you may tend to get too paranoid at intersections. Yes, it's good to have your eyes open and be ready for when it may happen, but being to paranoid wouldn't be a good thing neither.

·
V65 Junky
446 Posts
Your wants describe a BMW K1600GTL

Won best touring bike for the last 4 years.

160hp, 127tq, 0-60 in 3.4 seconds, Comfy and handles almost as well as a sport bike.
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=GEWi2m0qfNyqaM&tbnid=3lim-kvh2OvqqM:&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2011models/2011-BMW-K1600GTL.htm&ei=0cYtVNOVBuHD8AHqtIDoBA&bvm=bv.76802529,d.b2U&psig=AFQjCNF0lhoNwLKr4l84ndzqdLPKrpPspQ&ust=1412372564961072

I had a Yamaha Royal Star with the 1300V4. It is no where near the bike a K1600 is.

·
Gone.
17,873 Posts
I'd look at a Harley Road King or Street Glide. Both have the touring frame, engine and suspension but are a little lighter and more nimble then the full dress Ultra Classics. Both make excellent long distance bikes and have enough low end torque to drop down a gear and scoot out of the way of something if need be.

Some of the bikes you mentioned will have more torque or horsepower then others, but all will have enough if you use it right. All of them will be well made and reliable. Harley's will require slightly less routine maintenance then any other brand, and I believe Victory's are also in that category, or very close to it. As with any brand, the more of that maintenance you can do yourself the more coins you'll keep in your own pocket.

Aftermarket parts support for Harley is second to none in the world, and the longer you plan on keeping your bike, the more that gets to be important. If you don't plan on keeping the bike for years and years, or you don't want to add many personalizing touches, then that's not a big deal. Harley also has the largest dealer network in the US.

Ultimately though, as was already said, what matters is what bike fits you the best. And "fit" can be described as a lot of thing other then just how the seat and handle bars feel, right? Take your time, look around, take a lot of test rides, and get the bike that's best suited for you. You want the bike that stops you from looking with envy at all other bikes. (It's kind of like dating, no?) Good luck with whatever you find, and welcome back.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Your wants describe a BMW K1600GTL
First of all, I'm glad you are recovering and going to get back into the game, good for you.

Want fast and comfortable, Goldwing 1800 or BMW K1600 either one will blow the paint off any cruiser, both in speed and handling.

The Yamaha V4 is actually the Vmax engine, but with a lot less power, I have heard they are a bit of a maintenance hog.

If you love cruisers, then I love the new Harley lineup.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I agree on the fit.Me and the wife got took out in 09 on my ultra,well after the surgeries and the year heal time I simply didn't have the legs for another ultra so I looked and looked for months and finally found my Liza Jane,a Dyna Wide Glide that "fits"me like a glove.Keep looking and you will find you a scoot that will say this is it.Good luck and never stop ridin!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Howdy Folks,
Thank you all for your replies and kind words about my accident and recovery.

I am definitely looking for cruiser style touring bike. Due to the nature of my injuries, tib/fib pulverization and re-injured knee I cannot ride any length of time without my knee really acting up. I was riding a Yamaha Road Star 1600 that was totaled in the accident. I will need something that is comfortable for the occasional passenger. I also may add a hitch and pull a small MC camper or a trailer to haul my fishing gear and tent. Though the BMW looks great I don’t think my old knee would appreciate the leg position very much.

Thanks for the warning on the v4 that takes out the Venture. I used to ride a 1982 Honda 750 Sabre that had gobs of torque especially for the small engine but it quickly proved too small for me. So when the wife told me I needed a bigger bike well, who am I to argue with such overwhelming wisdom?

At what miles or age would you not consider a used bike? I have my eye on a 2010 Kawasaki Voyager with only 12900 that he has reduced to 8k. I have not seen the bike in person, long drive, and our next vehicle purchases depend on my wife getting a new job. So not much need in doing the long drive and not be able to make the buy.

Again, thanks for your replies; the information has been most helpful.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
On October 1 last year I was the unlucky recipient of a t-bone from a “lady” driving a Dodge Durango. I was almost through an intersection when she decided to make a very quick left turn into me and my beloved motorcycle. She totaled the bike and almost me as well. I am actually going in for another surgery related to the accident today that I have had to wait a year for. If I had attempted the surgery earlier in my recovery my orthopedic surgeon told me I would not have made it out of the operating room alive.

I may have been down but I am not out. Like the Phoenix rising out of the ashes, I am the rider rising from the carnage of a wreck and am longing for the feel of that steel horse under me thundering down the black top.

So I have a question. For my next bike I am looking for quick acceleration from a stop with great roll on acceleration at highway speeds coupled with incredible comfort for those long distance rides all in a touring package. The bike, due to my injuries cannot be of the sport touring variety. I am therefore limited to a Kawasaki Voyager, Yamaha Venture, Victory Cross County or Vision, or a full dress Harley. These will have to be used as the accident and resulting time away from my business has forced me to rebuild my business from scratch. How do the bikes mentioned above stack up against each other meeting my criteria? How does the Yamaha 1300 v-4 stack up to the v-twins? I also need to take into account reliability and cost of maintenance.

Any and all suggestions / advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

Ride like they don't see you and stay safe.

TCMJim
I can only give you my own experience. My daily ride is a Vision and I just love it but, and it is important, if you are having any trouble with leg strength, avoid the Vision. At 850 pounds dry weight it is heavy and you will experience that weight getting it off the kickstand. Once rolling at even 5 MPH the weight disappears and it is one great handling bike but reality is reality. If you have concerns in any way about your leg strength, get something else. As a post script, I have done test rides on a Cross Country Tour and it is no better than the Vision when standing still. Forget the HD dressers. They are just as heavy but are not nearly as nice once they are rolling. I owned both an Electra Glide Ultra and a Road Glide ultra for over a year each so I am speaking from experience. I used to ride a Venture type bike and its low CG helped a lot although it was almost as heavy as my Vision. If it had the same load capacity as my Vision I would be riding one today. They are a sweet riding bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts